Prs Stratocaster

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
Not sure if any of you have seen this but on John Mayers Instagram there is a picture of him playing a Silver strat with a PRS Headstock. Probably a new PRS model, maybe a reissue of the EG? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Caption says "It has been unveiled @PRSguitars" so I'm guessing some new sig. Looks a bit naff tbh - just a strat with wrong headstock and weird treble cutaway
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It's got the PRS owners facebook groups in a flap.

Looks very wrong to me with that headstock.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Video:

I have to say, it sort of defeats the point of going to PRS to then get them to make a copy of exactly the "other" guitar you've been playing for 20 years...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    It'll only cost £10,000 when it comes out
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    I love my PRS but could never thing why i'd buy a Strat clone. It is a tad odd...
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Odd. Most odd
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Unusual, but PRS do have 'form' for making Strat-esque instruments... such as the 305, that I own. I went looking for a Custom Shop Strat (spent most of a day at Coda trying them all) and the 305 was more 'me' than the Fenders, despite owning Strats on and off for 30 years.

I'd be interested to play it - as if its its as nice as the 305 I'm sure it would be a cracker.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    I have to say, it sort of defeats the point of going to PRS to then get them to make a copy of exactly the "other" guitar you've been playing for 20 years...
    TBH, doesn't that say that the "other" guitar manufacturer either can't or won't make him what he wants/needs...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Unusual, but PRS do have 'form' for making Strat-esque instruments... such as the 305, that I own. I went looking for a Custom Shop Strat (spent most of a day at Coda trying them all) and the 305 was more 'me' than the Fenders, despite owning Strats on and off for 30 years.

I'd be interested to play it - as if its its as nice as the 305 I'm sure it would be a cracker.
    And we had the DC3 and NF3 models that were Strat inspired without adopting the copy tag
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    TBH, doesn't that say that the "other" guitar manufacturer either can't or won't make him what he wants/needs...
    Of course, but you'd expect someone going to PRS for signature stuff would do so because they, you know, wanted to play PRSes, not just have a different bloke make your strats and have birds on the fretboard. 

Just feels a bit "Hendrix Strat" somehow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Just feels a bit "Hendrix Strat" somehow.
    Especially with that reversed headstock. The PRS Reverse just looks weird. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited April 2017
    I always find John Mayer really dull I didn't make it very far through that video.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    impmann said:

Chinese whisper time :    A post on The FB group suggests he wanted an EVH style brand, which would make his own amps/guitars under a 'Mayer' brand. Fender wouldn't do it. thus ended his affiliation with them. [source - some bloke on facebook]

/end rumours.

It  seem's kinda similar to what happened with Tremonti, but at an accelerated rate. PRS approached him and basically made him his perfect 'les paul' in the PRS style. Which is partly where the single cuts started coming from -  [source - interview on youtube with tremonti about PRSs]

sgosden said:

It  seem's kinda similar to what happened with Tremonti, but at an accelerated rate. PRS approached him and basically made him his perfect 'les paul' in the PRS style. Which is partly where the single cuts started coming from -  [source - interview on youtube with tremonti about PRSs]

Single cuts predated the Tremonti models though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I don't doubt it will be very good - the more Fender-like PRSs I've played (in particular the Brent Mason model) have been great. 

I suppose the question is who will buy this? Other than the Fender Custom Shop, Anderson & Suhr dominate the 'posh' Strat market. I'm not convinced it would sell well - particularly with a headstock which is 'so' wrong.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    I don't doubt it will be very good - the more Fender-like PRSs I've played (in particular the Brent Mason model) have been great. 

I suppose the question is who will buy this? Other than the Fender Custom Shop, Anderson & Suhr dominate the 'posh' Strat market. I'm not convinced it would sell well - particularly with a headstock which is 'so' wrong.
    I tend to agree with you - On paper nothing wrong with the NF3 or DC3 models - yet sales were poor - both the 305 and 513 represented quality guitars but again sales hardly ripped it up - And yes they had to go up against established 'Strat based' companies

The NF3 and DC3 models retained the bolt on neck format, but I suppose Paul utilsed his own designed p/ups, so any potential buyers who liked to exchange pick-ups became instantly anti such guitars - I think at the time the initial price in the UK was around £1800 ish and at the time C/Shop models could still be purchased for £1800/2200, so PRS went straight up against established Strat builders - If they could have achieved a £1400 tag at the time they might have had a better shout

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824

It's literally just a Strat with a PRS neck.  It doesn't even look like it has a PRS bridge (although maybe that's down to my eyesight and some not-too-clear photos).

How long before Brent Mason asks them to remodel his signature as a Tele shape?

Then maybe they could get Johnny Hiland back too.