Prs Stratocaster

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

It's literally just a Strat with a PRS neck.  It doesn't even look like it has a PRS bridge (although maybe that's down to my eyesight and some not-too-clear photos).

How long before Brent Mason asks them to remodel his signature as a Tele shape?

Then maybe they could get Johnny Hiland back too.

I believe JH left PRS as he got a better deal from Musicman regarding revenue for endorsing the brand - which he prefers to play I don't know - I'm sure he still owns a PRS or two and plays them

Like wise I'm sure John Mayer still has his Strats and I bet they will come out from time to time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Philly_Q said:

It's literally just a Strat with a PRS neck.  It doesn't even look like it has a PRS bridge (although maybe that's down to my eyesight and some not-too-clear photos).

How long before Brent Mason asks them to remodel his signature as a Tele shape?

Then maybe they could get Johnny Hiland back too.

I believe JH left PRS as he got a better deal from Musicman regarding revenue for endorsing the brand - which he prefers to play I don't know - I'm sure he still owns a PRS or two and plays them

Like wise I'm sure John Mayer still has his Strats and I bet they will come out from time to time
    I'm sure that's true, but he apparently used this on Belief and Slow Dancing last night, both of which he's fairly religiously attached to specific other strats for 10+ years now. Which I can only assume means he's very very happy with the new guitar, but also seems a bit of a shame, cos it's weird and regular strats will always be cooler than PRSi.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794

he apparently used this on Belief and Slow Dancing last night, both of which he's fairly religiously attached to specific other strats for 10+ years now. Which I can only assume means he's very very happy with the new guitar

Or he's being paid handsomely to use it.

OK, I should stop sniping about it, but I don't think PRS should be in the business of making Strat copies.  I know there have long been models in the PRS range to do that job, starting with the original EGs, but they always looked like PRS designs.  This doesn't.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Doesn't every maker do Strat style guitars?
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

he apparently used this on Belief and Slow Dancing last night, both of which he's fairly religiously attached to specific other strats for 10+ years now. Which I can only assume means he's very very happy with the new guitar

OK, I should stop sniping about it, but I don't think PRS should be in the business of making Strat copies.  I know there have long been models in the PRS range to do that job, starting with the original EGs, but they always looked like PRS designs.  This doesn't.

I wouldn't have thought JM needs that additional cash - unlike other endorsement deals relating to other players

Does a guitar need to look like a Strat to sound like a Strat ? - It certainly needs to have the right ingredients - But I do agree with you about should PRS be trying to make in roads into the Strat market - I can see merits in the 513 and 305, as they are PRS's ideas influenced by an established format yet firmly a PRS Guitar - I suppose it is a case of JM driving PRS or vice versa or both
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Isn't it a bit weird how PRS design seems to be coming full circle, they were designed as the "alternative hybrid" of the F and G brands, yet the 594 is among the most praised PRS and yet the closest to a vintage Les Paul yet, and then this is basically a Strat clone. We know PRS can build top quality instruments but it somehow defeats the PRS ethic of being its own thing. Or maybe I'm over thinking it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    Sassafras said:

Gibson don't.  Arguably the closest they got were the Corvus, Victory and M-III, two of which weren't even bolt-ons.  And look what runaway successes they were.

Of course I'm not forgetting the Gibson Hendrix "Strat"....

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Arf it looks rubbish. How long until he comes back? "There's no substitute for the real thing".
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:

Gibson don't.  Arguably the closest they got were the Corvus, Victory and M-III, two of which weren't even bolt-ons.  And look what runaway successes they were.

Of course I'm not forgetting the Gibson Hendrix "Strat"....

Glad you haven't forgotten it. That's the one I was thinking of.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    edited April 2017
    I mean why shouldn't they...why wouldn't they? Hell if I was PRS I would make a Strat just for badness, they've nothing to prove  and lets face it whatever they do the armchair player critics slag them off! Tom Anderson makes his Icon now, Suhr makes a Strat then why not PRS if there's demand. Could be big money in it for them if its done well. Looks like it has a unique bridge in the close up pic. 
    John won't be paid handsomely to use it either, and no he doesn't need it. Like Mark says he'll have been pushing for it after he had a bit of a parting of the ways with Fender. Don't think he was best pleased when the neck on his much loved black relic Strat warped and had to be replaced a few years back. 
    Fingers crossed they make a Tele too!
    https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17861896_10210875296412903_2429182030435818816_n.jpg?oh=4575c73b0f1b75bb288686f9ce5aaac0&oe=59563A46
    tFB Trader
    I wonder what the pick ups are considering PRS have not made such single coil pick-ups - I recall earlier EG models from the past had Seymour Duncan's  and or Fralin's on them - Does it look like a new trem as well - pics to distorted to tell
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Philly_Q said:

I seriously doubt Mayers making much out of the PRS deal at all. Ultimately he wants someone who understands how a guitar is put together and how you can maximise your sound potential away from the pre conceived world other brands seem to operate in. These guys can play whichever brand they want, Mayers hardly launching a Zakk Wylde/Jo Bo style march on the signature market anytime soon - hes just not that sellable or gullable. Ive got a Brent Mason and understand why hes playing PRS. Why drive a Ford when you can drive an Aston Martin. Does the same job but sooo more refined and performance orientated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    I think it looks shit. Hardly constructive criticism I realise but they ya go 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I think it looks shit. Hardly constructive criticism I realise but they ya go 
    Seconded
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited April 2017
    Oooff, I don't like that!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    It's what you are used to seeing -the headstock will always look a bit odd on that shape body because the eye is conditioned to expect otherwise.
    Imagine if a classical composer was confronted by the use of the flat 5th -it would seem disonant and devillish ........it's just that blues and blues rock has taught our ears to accept it ..........like some Eastern Scales 
     If you blow away expectation of headstock shape you would be more naturally receptive -it's probably a great guitar to play
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I don't get the fuss.
    Doesn't look any worse than a Strat with a reverse headstock or locking nut.
  • Fender must have really pissed him off!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    This is so far away from his Custom Shop visit video. I would love to know what went on. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"