Should I sell my Tele?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
A few years ago I was fortunate enough to get a great deal on a Lite Ash Tele - 2004 I think. I'd been after a Tele for ages and this was the right price, good condition etc. 

The guitar is great and sounds superb. I changed the original brass saddles (still got them) for 6 brass saddles for improved intonation and have had it set up by a pro.

I really like the guitar but there is just something about it, that I can't put my finger on, that I don't gel with. 

Part of me wants to sell it but the other part of me thinks I'll regret it if I do and I can't afford to just buy another without selling.

First of all, any ideas what it'd be worth? Also by advice on what I should do? Anyone else been in a similar situation? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    If you don't gel with an instrument, then sell it. Simple. I have no idea what it's worth, but it's not worth anything to you to keep it unless it fires you up!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I would sell it. I had a really nice Taylor GC7 which I had for years and loved it. I looked for one for months and finally got one in the states. It was my 2nd acoustic as I prefer my other Taylor. There was something about the GC7 I couldn't place. I wanted to love it and use it...but I was playing it as I had it - not because I wanted to play it. Long story short, took me about 3-4 years to decide to sell it. 

Shipped to a guy in Norway just before Christmas. Not missed it! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    The on-line wisdom seems to be you're not a proper player unless you play a Tele....

I've owned four over the years - and always quite enjoyed them without ever thinking 'this is my favourite guitar - I couldn't bear to be without it'. So ultimately I've moved every one on.

Unless a guitar you are less than in love with serves a very specific sonic purpose that makes it an essential tool - I'm of the view that you may as well get rid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Yes, get a strat. :0)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    There's nothing good on TV nowadays anyway...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322

I changed the original brass saddles (still got them) for 6 brass saddles for improved intonation and have had it set up by a pro.

I really like the guitar but there is just something about it, that I can't put my finger on, that I don't gel with.

Also by advice on what I should do?
    Put steel saddles on it. It will sound much better. Then decide if you still don't get on with it...

I do not get the brass saddle thing - actually I detest them. Although the difference isn't vast, they always introduce a nasty, grating upper-mid 'whang' type of overtone which really irritates me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    "I really like the guitar but there is just something about it, that I can't put my finger on, that I don't gel with."

You need to put your finger on that thing. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    edited April 2017

I get that with some guitars as well. Traded an SG on here last month. Already thinking I should have one in my collection...doh! lol

EDIT: I think it depends what you are looking for out of guitars. I really like having guitars. I suppose I might be a bit of a collector...on a very small scale (no pun intended). If the Tele is not the sound you need and you are playing for a living or even just playing in a serious gigging band then I suppose you should keep a look out for a guitar you 'need' instead, then trade or sale the Tele then. Chances are if you sell just now you will either buy another guitar that does not really float your boat.....or worse....the misses will squander the money away lol

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'd do what @ICBM suggests.
    Otherwise I'd try to narrow down exactly what it is you don't like about it so you don't make the same mistake again.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    They do tend to feel a little bit like you're wearing a paving slab with a strap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    They do tend to feel a little bit like you're wearing a paving slab with a strap. 
    It's great isn't it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    It's great isn't it.
    Ha! I do have a tele, and have had many, but I've a funny relationship with them. Onto my sixth now, which tells me that I'm always selling them too... but always want another when I do. Would never be my number one, but always want to have one about. 
  • I had a lovely 52 AVRI (you can see it in my profile pic) which I sold the other day.  Three reasons, firstly I bought a Gibson ES-Les Paul and I have a one in one out policy at the moment.  Secondly, I hadnt picked up the tele in maybe a month and realised I didnt miss it.  Thirdly, I built a partscaster Esquire using loads of top notch parts (MJT, Bare Knuckle, etc) and it is every bit the tele I need...plus I built it so sentimental value and all that.

My suggestion, if you're not gelling with it, that'll be like an earworm each time you play it.  Move it on, grab something else and forget about it.  Maybe even look at a different tele.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I bought a lite ashe tele a few years ago to dip my toe in that particular pool (never owned a tele before).
    What I liked was the tone, light weight, big strap buttons, etc.
    What I found I struggled with was the all maple fingerboard (always been a dark wood man to date) and the slightly wide/flat fingerboard.
    It's been sort of for sale for 3 years because it's a nice guitar and I'm not bothered. I replaced it with an AVRI52 tele, again love the tone/vibe and the better fretboard radius suits me, I'm still not sure about all maple fingerboards though. Since it is just one of several live guitars I've not been too bothered about it and in context it sounds brilliant, but I suspect one day I shall get an early 60s version with RW fingerboard.
    What I'm saying is that there are quite a number of Teles with the fender brand before you even go off looking for other makers. As ever within model ranges there are the odd dog and brilliant example so be vigilant. If I only had one live guitar I would probably consider a 'nashville' tele with the 3 PU configuration.

• I feel that if you have to ask the "should I sell" question, you already know the answer. If it were a keeper you wouldn't even be thinking about it. Get shot of it, It's not like there aren't a load more out there if you decide you do need Tele. You may even end up finding one that you do get on with. 

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    The on-line wisdom seems to be you're not a proper player if you play a Tele....
    Ftfy
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I think one thing i find frustrating with it is i just cant get it to stay in tune properly. It's been set up by a pro so i think its just me. I love the sound of it but just find it a bit of an inconvenience
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Do you mean it doesn't sound in tune when you play it, even though the open strings are in tune, or that the open string tuning goes out?

Neither should happen on a Tele that's properly set up, strung and tuned - they're one of the most stable guitars there is.

Assuming you're stringing it properly I would guess there's a problem with the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    ICBM said:
    Do you mean it doesn't sound in tune when you play it, even though the open strings are in tune, or that the open string tuning goes out?

Neither should happen on a Tele that's properly set up, strung and tuned - they're one of the most stable guitars there is.

Assuming you're stringing it properly I would guess there's a problem with the nut.
    The strings just don't seem to stay in tune brilliantly