Should I sell my Tele?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    ICBM said:

The strings just don't seem to stay in tune brilliantly
    That sounds like it's probably sticking at the nut. On a Tele there's really nothing else that will cause it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Some guitars be it model or make just dont gel with you, how many times have people played a bunch of the same model to find the one that they gel with? sounds like this particular tele isnt for you, it doenst meant a tele isnt for you only this one.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    They do tend to feel a little bit like you're wearing a paving slab with a strap. 
    It's great isn't it.
    Ha! I do have a tele, and have had many, but I've a funny relationship with them. Onto my sixth now, which tells me that I'm always selling them too... but always want another when I do. Would never be my number one, but always want to have one about. 
    Glad it's not just me.  I acquired my third last week (a Classic Vibe Squier) and have already set about changing it (Vibramate and B5 - new pickups will follow). I hope I don't sell this one, but the track record is not good...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    McToot said:
    They do tend to feel a little bit like you're wearing a paving slab with a strap. 
    It's great isn't it.
    Ha! I do have a tele, and have had many, but I've a funny relationship with them. Onto my sixth now, which tells me that I'm always selling them too... but always want another when I do. Would never be my number one, but always want to have one about. 
    Glad it's not just me.  I acquired my third last week (a Classic Vibe Squier) and have already set about changing it (Vibramate and B5 - new pickups will follow). I hope I don't sell this one, but the track record is not good...
    I think I've finally (!) settled now. Having had 2 US Standards (1 good, 1 not so), a mex standard, a mex Tele Custom, and a MIJ ash all depart, my recently acquired MiM Classic 72 Custom is staying. Light as feather and really resonant. That said, I too have upscaled this one; Brass compensated saddles, bone nut, Mojo WRHB in the neck and Mojo Esquire in the bridge, stripped and truoiled / waxed neck. 
  • I find that if I do not settle with a guitar and am endlessly fiddling with action, intonation, truss rod, pickup height, then it is best to move it on. Someone else will love it.
    I have had a number of tele's over the years and am fairly sure that amongst all the models there is one that will suit. 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    For some reason (some would say that I'm not a real guitarist...or man for that matter) I can't quite get to grip with Telecasters. I've owned several over the years and have kept coming back to them only to move them on again. 

I prefer a smaller body but love the sound. I managed to find a vintage Ovation Viper that does it for me. Sounds and feels great, roll back the volume and the tone pot a little and to my ears there's very little difference between it the 52 AVRI that I used to own.

Each to their own I guess. I prefer the Viper as it's a little more individual and looks, plays and sounds great. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    you probably only own one pair of shoes too...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    What amp are you using with the Tele? If you are not using valves, this is where I would look first. And the less pedals, the better. Extra bonus points if you use no pedals with your Tele. And put decent strings on it....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I find that if I do not settle with a guitar and am endlessly fiddling with action, intonation, truss rod, pickup height, then it is best to move it on. Someone else will love it.
    I have had a number of tele's over the years and am fairly sure that amongst all the models there is one that will suit. 

This was me with my PRS CE24. We never bonded, so I sold it on. I bought a Les Paul on a whim that knocked me out & aside from a pickup change & setup. I've not had to tinker at all.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 851

I agree with most of the above, if it doesn't do 'it' for you, let it go and try and find one that does.

I've owned at least a dozen Teles over the years, most have come and gone within a year (including a couple of very nice 52RI's), the main one has been around for the last seven/eight years and is my number one.  Really can't see me ever selling this (52RI) as it has everything I need - stays in tune, sounds great, plays like a dream and is super light and resonant.  I've had 3 other come and go while I've owned this one.  Currently have a Pink Paisley as main backup which I liked a lot when I bought it and I'm loving more everyday.

I was lucky enough to sell an expensive (expensive to me, nothing silly) guitar a while ago which gave me, for the first time in my life, a bit of money to 'play' with.  Bought a couple of less expensive guitars because I could, one has stayed, the other went because it didn't gel.  Counted up and I've bought and sold 12 guitars in the 2 years since and still have a few to release as they just aren't getting the play time.  I only own three guitars which have been with me longer than the last five years and all three get picked up and enjoyed regularly. 

If it doesn't fire you up, let it go.

• If someone were to ask me what tele to buy, I would suggest finding a used US Deluxe with the compound fingerboard and locking tuners. Change the p-ups to something vintage and you have something that would cover a lot of bases. Contoured like a strat, stays in tune, nice neck joint.  Hard to beat short of going to the custom shop