Toggle switches?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Sods law would have it that the toggle switch on two of my Les Paul's have packed in! Contact cleaner hasn't helped and I can only use my bridge pickups. The toggles are very loose and wobbly, I don't know what to do bar replacing them, is there an upgraded switch I can replace them with? Your help is as always greatly appreciated.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Are they Gibsons, with genuine Switchcraft switches?

If so there is no upgrade - they're the best there is. You can re-tension the switches without replacing them, if you have a look at how they work. It shouldn't be necessary to unsolder them, there's enough room to pull the switch out a bit to get at it.

Do you normally leave the guitar in the case with the switch in the bridge position? If so, don't - that's what strains and loosens the neck-side contact. Always leave it in the middle position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Firstly take the plate off behind the pickup selector and if things are loose be sure to tighten it up.  After that, make sure the switch is going stright up and down and it hasnt moved from centre.  Sometimes if the switch has dropped it can cause it to touch the wood and it creates a sort of short - this may be an explanation why your bridge is working but the other positions arent.  If you manage to center it and tighten it and it still isnt working then check the connections...if theres damage then either resolder (if capable) or have a replacement Switchcraft switch installed.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    @ICBM  They are Gibson Tribute models (50's and 70's) so not sure if they use Switchcraft? 

They are kept on a rack with the switches always left in the middle position. It's an odd one as they just seemed to both give up the ghost at the same time, both see minimal use.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    zepp76 said:
    @ICBM  They are Gibson Tribute models (50's and 70's) so not sure if they use Switchcraft?
    Ah! Good point… they may not. If they don't, it's well worth replacing them.

zepp76 said:

It's an odd one as they just seemed to both give up the ghost at the same time, both see minimal use.
    So… who you gonna call?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom