FX8 Users a Warning!!!!!!( and questions)

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
DONT PANIC BUT

Ive started selling gear to buy one so.....

Having decided to jump onboard it will soon become an unsupported product if my brand history is anything to go by. 

However, now that I have devalued your lovely machine ( obviously AFTER I've paid top dollar for one) 
How do you find it? I've noticed a few on the classifieds currently and on paper it looks to be ideal. 

I plan on running it with my Mesa Preamp and a poweramp into a 4x12 cab. 

Anything I should know? Or be aware of?

Cheers. 
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nothing, nothing you should know about, it's amazing, especially the MkII, buy mine, BUY IT!

I suppose it depends how you're looking to run it. If your Mesa has an effects loop, then either running everything post and using the amp's drive or running the drive/boost/comp (and whatever else you fancy) blocks into the front and mods/delays/reverbs on the loop will work really well.

Also, make use of FX8 Edit. Excellent for putting together patches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Just don't talk to @robinbowes' mate...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Just don't talk to @robinbowes' mate...
    Why?
    About the FX8? Or just in general?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Nothing, nothing you should know about, it's amazing, especially the MkII, buy mine, BUY IT!

I suppose it depends how you're looking to run it. If your Mesa has an effects loop, then either running everything post and using the amp's drive or running the drive/boost/comp (and whatever else you fancy) blocks into the front and mods/delays/reverbs on the loop will work really well.

Also, make use of FX8 Edit. Excellent for putting together patches.
    Yes please I would very much like to buy yours.......

but its that timeframe thing again lol. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    It's a great bit of kit and can sound stellar... I really like mine.

But not as much as I like the Helix.
    simonk said:

Yeah, I hear you but I've 'done' line6 before. 

Flextone...... Shuddder. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    simonk said:

Yeah, I hear you but I've 'done' line6 before. 

Flextone...... Shuddder. 
    Oh I hear you too!! DT25 and POD500 (indifferent shrug) amongst others....

Helix is good though.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I tried a mates FX8 (first version) and it was incredible, the delays and verbs he had dialled in were pretty stunning and i really liked the drives too. The Helix sounds better out of the box and its much quicker to get good tones, but the FX8 kills it if you don't mind tinkering and getting really deep in menus.
    timmysoft said:
    I tried a mates FX8 (first version) and it was incredible, the delays and verbs he had dialled in were pretty stunning and i really liked the drives too. The Helix sounds better out of the box and its much quicker to get good tones, but the FX8 kills it if you don't mind tinkering and getting really deep in menus.
    Hmmmmmm interesting, tbh I was sat in bed thinking last night, would I actually need all of that stuff?

when a decent power amp and a delay pedal would actually do me.....Hmmm
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    timmysoft said:
    Hmmmmmm interesting, tbh I was sat in bed thinking last night, would I actually need all of that stuff?

I'd probably be of that approach too, maybe something like a TCE Gmajor 2, and a compact midi floor switcher giving me access to 4 or 5 sounds.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Nothing, nothing you should know about, it's amazing, especially the MkII, buy mine, BUY IT!
    It's funny, I was watching your adventures with the MKII with interest as I'd been thinking of making the switch. I think we have a similar approach with pedals, so the fact you didn't get on with it has put the idea to bed for me. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited April 2017
    I am pre-ordering a Helix LT and paying it up so I have some flexibility on my FX8 price now
    Still love it - had about 15 gigs this year with it already and the only reason I am wanting something else is to start looking at modelling and going direct to PA. Few mates have the Helix and I am in a covers band so need lots of sounds and it does the biz
    You'll not regret getting an FX8- just learn how to set up sounds from scratch (I replicated my pedal board as a starting point) on the unit before using FX8 Edit so you know how to do it at a gig in an emergency.
    edited April 2017
    I'm defo an Amp and Cab guy, the gigs I would do are pretty few and far between so not fussed about lugging a big Cab about etc. 

So the Full Modelling route Ax8/Helix doesn't really appeal, I have one great amp I love and just want to spice it up a bit, maybe go back to a simple set up. 

Guitar
    Wah
    Amp
    Delay

???

Listening to the Ax8 demos, it sounds incredible, but the nagging doubt in my mind is that I'm a Rock/Metal player and have no real need for epic reverbs or Lush Leslie tones.....

I defo think I was a better musician back in the day before I could afford half decent gear.

Perhaps it's become a means to an end?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    timmysoft said:

I was having the same thoughts with helix. I've set up a basic patch with a few mods/delays/verbs for some variation on a high gain tone. what I'm finding really helpful is being able to chuck multiple noise gates, EQss etc in the path and play with their position and settings per snapshot. Has really cleaned up my signal path in the way of random hiss and unwanted feedback.