Android music apps

So, after a long time using nowt but iPhones, I've decided to give Android a go, and I'm currently liking it a lot.

So what interesting music related apps for Android would people recommend? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Electrum Drum. 
    Caustic. 
    RD4. 
    FL Studio. 
    And a new one tonight - Saucillator.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    DA Tuner
  • iRig Recorder - great for recording rehearsals (if you have a decent, non-clipping mic on your phone).
    <space for hire>
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    I have a question related to this:  Is it worth buying an Apple device just for the music apps?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    sinbaadi said:
    I have a question related to this:  Is it worth buying an Apple device just for the music apps?
    You might buy it thinking that you'd just use it for the music apps, but you'd end up using it for so much more.

iPad rather than iPhone just because of the usability/visibility of the iphone's screen size.

Whether I'm sat on a train, or in a hotel room, or on the sofa in an evening whilst Mrs TT is watching crap (is there any other kind) TV, I've got my iPad with me.  If I'm staying away during the week, I'll pack a guitar, and an interface, and I've got hours of practice time.  When I'm playing at home, it's generally via the iPad nowadays (JamUp Pro).  If I'm sat on a train, I can play with loads of other apps, though generally not with a guitar plugged in.

I'd guess that 75% of my guitar playing time is now through the iPad.

But the iPad does so much more - so only about 25% of my iPad time involves music apps.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • To be honest, at the moment, iPad is where it's at for musically minded folks.  

But Android does have a much more open and powerful system at hand - I suspect, in time, it will catch up.  

Right now, though, and I hate to admit it, Apple rules the roost.  And, as TTony said, it's just a wonderful devide for reading, browsing, media consumption... Android tabs do all of that just as well (well, better really) but it doesn't have Garageband or anything similar to my knowledge.  

Hopefully it will soon!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    gstrings tuner. That way you always have one to hand.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    +1 for gstrings tuner,seems quite accurate. Have used it about 18 months now and it's free!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    There's a complete rebuuld of GStrings tune out now, called Waves, its a bit quicker and mire accurate than GStrings was - not that it wasn't good enough already!

I prefer Android by far but have to concede that iOS is better served for music apps. I'd like to get an Android tablet but a lot of the digital desks I work on when doing sound only have iOS apps for remote control so I'll probably have to get an iPad instead.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    iOS is a far better platform for audio apps because it doesn't suffer from the horrendous IO latency which is inherent in Android. Therefore you're going to get more  and better audio apps for iOS than Android.
    I know they've been working on it but I don't know how far they've got currently.
    I'm not an Android or iOS developer by the way, it's just something I'm aware of in passing.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    I think the current version of Android is a better than the earliest versions.  I think there are more improvements in the pipeline.

One potential area where Android could score over IOS is that a lot of Android tablets can function as USB hosts, so potentially you could use a normal audio interface.

Android is already a useful tool.  I have a tuner, metronome, drum machine, and chord dictionary on my phone - all of them free.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111

Is there an Android app that allows you to create and store your own song chord and tab charts?

I'm not worried about playing them back, I just want to write down the tunes and lyrics I create for reference.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    edited February 2014
    Onsong is the best app I know of for that at the moment.  Currently it's Apple only, but they working on an Android version:

http://blog.onsongapp.com/2014/01/latest-onsong-for-android-news-january.html

You can transpose songs etc. automatically.