Are people scared of 2x12 combos (or a bit of weight) ?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
I mean I notice a lot of 2x12 combos - Marshalls and Mesa's seem to be slow to sell, and watching ebay completed listings seems 1x12s sell easier (generally) I know bedroom rockers have no need for a 2x12 (or biggerer) but I get the impression a lot of gigging players are wimps and are scared of a bit of weight to carry...a lot want 1x12 amps. My fellow bandmate is one such person - but he's getting on a bit so maybe he can have a pass on that...a lot of young pups though? Of course this is opinion..but to me a 2x12 amp alwas sounds bigger n better than a 1x12...usually more bottom end as well as spread, less boxy sounding. Do you gig with a 1x12 ? Is it weight you wanna avoid or do you genuinely prefer the sound of a smaller amp ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i prefer 212 combos but im finding the weight getting to me lately. i gig a laney vc30 212 which isnt anywhere near as heavy as  the marshall jvm 212 i use to have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Yeah I've had both...the Marshall has nice recessed side handles though which I've always liked. :)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited April 2017
    On stage volumes have massively dropped over the last 10 years.
    Gear manufacturers have cracked getting good to great tone at lower volumes as well.

If you aren't working in a genre that has guitar dominate the sound spectrum (like metal) then is there any real need to take more gear than you need?

I can carry my guitar, a 1x12 combo and pedalboard in one trip from the car, which is nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I prefer combos these days but can't be arsed with the weight of a dc30 or the like, so I bought a 1x12..which weighs almost as much :) easier to move single-handedly though.
  • octatonic said:
    On stage volumes have massively dropped over the last 10 years.
    Gear manufacturers have cracked getting good to great tone at lower volumes as well.

If you aren't working in a genre that has guitar dominate the sound spectrum (like metal) then is there any real need to take more gear than you need?

I can carry my guitar, a 1x12 combo and pedalboard in one trip from the car, which is nice.

Exactly. 

Find a local metal band and you'll still get a 5150, 6505 or dual rec. But that's about it... 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd struggle to gig with a 1x12.   I like a fender twin but marshalls sort look wrong to me compared to a 4x12 so I can see why they don't sell as well - the smaller ones can be used for rehearsing and small gigs I guess.  
    That said I've seen big cabs go very cheap and barely any more than the cost of the speakers or even less. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    my Victoria tweed twin 2x12 combo weighs nowt
    many cabs are over engineered
  • Loved my old Twin. Heaviest damn thing I've owned.  However, Mesa MKIV 1x12......I needed a new back after working on that.

Recently started using a 2x10. Noticeably lighter but still a full sound.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've never had an open back cab that sounded boxy but I guess cab choice all depends on the style you're playing.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've never struggled with weight, being tall and quite heavy myself, i've never let the weight or form factor of an amp cloud my judgement. I did recently pull a muscle in my chest which is making living most amps pretty uncomfortable, but it has made me rethink about my rig and the future.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I'm no youngster anymore and have a bad back. When I was young I could schlapp Vox AC30s, 2x12 Blackface/silverface, Selmer Zodiac mk2, Marshall plexi, jcm800 plus 4x12 etc etc.  

But not only can't I do that anymore, modern PA systems and lighter amps plus mfx units mean I don't have to because no longer do your amps have to do a full backline role.  

I have 3 1x12 amps, a 2x12 combo with 2x12 extn cab, and a 2x10 combo plus 1x12 extn cab. And you know what? Nowadays all I need is my Tonelab SE through the PA.  Its lighter, quick to set up, gives me consistently good tone, has all the amp tones and effects I need, with preset and stomp mode options, easy A/B channel switch options, built in tuner, wah, vol pedal etc.  

So why do I need to schlapp around my 2x12 and conventional pedalboard anymore?  I really don't!  It's nice to know I've got these amps as options, and I don't want to sell them. But things have moved on from when I was a young man and I don't need to schlap big amps around to show how rock- macho I am!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I like the idea of a combo but a head and cab is almost always easier to move around imo, spreads the weight nicely. 
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    edited April 2017
    I had a 1x12 AC30 that I used to take to gigs  and I often used to make reference to how heavy it was but I recently bought a JCM800 and a 4x12 cab with greenbacks. I used to love the sound of the vox and still do, but the Marshall + cab has made me more excited about playing guitar than I can remember in the last 10 years. Maybe it'll will wear off in a few gigs but at the moment the Marshall stack is king. It's worth the extra effort.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Weight is a big factor because I have a bad back, so my days of using heavy amps are over.

I had a big stereo rig once and it sounded huge standing in front of it. A singer I worked with referred to my sound as 'The Wall'. But off stage it sounded no bigger than a small 1 x 12 combo mic'd up through a PA system.

I'll only be using small lightweight sets ups in future.
    It's not a competition.
  • They weigh an effin' jeffin' ton! A 2 x 12 is an ok weight with a head separate but together they are way too heavy!
    | davisamplification.com | furyofficial.com | My favourite guitar is my American Standard HH Telecaster in whitish |
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Guitarists have enough paraphernalia to carry about as it is. A heavy amp is the last thing I need.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    HAL9000 said:
    Guitarists have enough paraphernalia to carry about as it is. A heavy amp is the last thing I need.
    Try being a drummer!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I don't think scared is the right word. It's more like why bother? Heavy, awkward  and often I'm mic'ed up from only 1 speaker anyway. So what's the point. 

But then I prefer a head and cab anyway, so it becomes a moot point.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I've never played a 1x12 combo that didn't sound loads better through a good big 2x12.

So your choice, compromise your tone or compromise your body. 

Oh  and as an oldie, I consciously do things that I find increasingly difficult, because if you stop that's it  game over. Things like putting your socks on standing up, bending down to pick things up rather than squatting, etc....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    A nice little, grab and go 1x12 combo is the ticket for me. 15-20 watts is plenty loud enough. Used to have a 2x12 Pro Reverb, but it was so heavy and awkward to transport. Takes the fun out of gigs a bit if your hands and arms are aching from lugging a beast up  flights of stairs.