What guitar could you buy for the price of the bits to build a guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like the idea that there's a bit of me in the ones I put together, and that's what makes it worth the extra.. ymmv
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    usedtobe said:
    I like the idea that there's a bit of me in the ones I put together, and that's what makes it worth the extra.. ymmv

like this

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I had a Gretsch BillyBo made (see other thread on here) for my 50th.  I sourced all the parts, designed the artwork for it etc - put it together myself and then sent it away for painting.  It cost me thick end of £1500.  To get it made to same spec I reckon closer to £2500...BUT it is MY guitar, to my specs.  If you want a high end guitar, you pay high end prices - to get a unique guitar, sometimes it is better to build it yourself  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    I made a Cabronita Tele when you could only buy them from the custom shop. Complete with Fender parts it still saved me quite a lot of money.
    Then they released the MIM Cabronita so I decided mine had more mojo*

*mojo is always greater than the cost of my build minus the price of the factory produced model.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    FX_Munkee said:
    I made a Cabronita Tele when you could only buy them from the custom shop. Complete with Fender parts it still saved me quite a lot of money.
    Then they released the MIM Cabronita so I decided mine had more mojo*

*mojo is always greater than the cost of my build minus the price of the factory produced model.
    It's a good example. Fender kinda bought that on themselves. It's a really simple design with a choice between a £3k custom shop... or a really simple DIY project.

that led to a hell of a lot of DIY cabs before they released the MIM a few years later.  I am responsible for 2.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    WezV said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    I made a Cabronita Tele
    Fender kinda bought that on themselves. It's a really simple design with a choice between a £3k custom shop... or a really simple DIY project.that led to a hell of a lot of DIY cabs before they released the MIM a few years later. 
    Warmoth and other parts manufacturers did not need much encouragement to jump onto that particular band wagon.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've built a few partscasters - for example, this s-type with 2-piece walnut body and custom hand-wound pickups:

All the parts are good stuff, everything is exactly the specs I preferred, and it's very well put together, with a lot of care and attention, if I do say so myself. I honestly think it could happily stand comparison to guitars costing a grand or more. It cost around £500 in parts, plus all the time I put into the project over a few months. I doubt I could sell it for much more than £300. So I think you can build yourself a guitar that in playing/spec terms is great value, but then the resale value doesn't reflect that - this is just how it is. :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    That's a beauty mate! Like that a lot! This is where the value is. Just the pleasure of building something to call your own creation.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    sawyer said:
    That's a beauty mate! Like that a lot! This is where the value is. Just the pleasure of building something to call your own creation.
    Cheers @sawyer - of course you're right, it's the pleasure of doing something that's your own, and getting it just how you want it - financial considerations aren't always everything.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    WezV said:
    usedtobe said:

like this

I did once end up in a&e after hacking into my wrist with a Stanley knife, and bleeding all over the body I was whittling! I try not to put quite that much of me into guitars, these days, though.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited May 2017

i have a strat partscaster.
    Warmoth body.Bare knuckle Trilogy's, split post Klusons , Callaham bridge, WD "V" profile neck, CTS pots abs Fender 5 way switch.

All second hand parts, about  £500.

So about MIM strat price.

[IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/P1030224_zpsqkktjbkz.jpg[/IMG]

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    If you want to save a bit, it's usually worth buying someone else's Partscaster and modding it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom