Brave Wood Tele

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
So I'm away for the weekend in Dublin

called into Some Neck Guitars

Played a Brave Wood tele with bare knuckle Pickups. 

Priced about the same as a used Custom Shop and I'd have gladly paid it. 

But - he's put a Fender transfer on the headstock, I know this has been discussed before, but why do that? I think it's dodgy from the shop (although to be fair they declared it as such) but also means if I ever want to sell I'm just as bad. 

So so I walked away. Wonderful guitar, apart from the headstock 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited April 2017
    Oh dear.

this will go on a while. Loads will get up in arms about the logo.   Some will point out the legal issues. None of it will stop it being a bloody good guitar

make up your own mind
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Wouldn't stop me because I think those Bravewoods are better than the real thing, not a poor replica like Chibsons and the like.
    I can understand the ethical dilemna though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Could you not have bought it, and put it 'right '?
     I recently did this with a classic vibe tele with a very poorly applied fender decal..
    Had to buy an unofficial squier decal, though, as official ones aren't available.. lol
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Terry Morgan wannabe.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    I don't think there is a correct bravewood logo you could put in its place.

They are the best vintage fender replicas out there... and the attention to detail does include the logo.

i will be honest, it did used to bother me.... but my first bravewood experience had me counting pennies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As far as I am aware I thought they were All Parts and assembled by John. 
    Same as McGuire and a few others. Few make the fender replicas directly from scratch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    As far as I am aware I thought they were All Parts and assembled by John. 
    Same as McGuire and a few others. Few make the fender replicas directly from scratch.
    Nah, all from scratch.  Although I don't think it's that important

Allparts necks are only as good as the fretdress and final fettle.  They can compete with custom shop stuff with a bit of work
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    As far as I am aware I thought they were All Parts and assembled by John. 
    Not according to John himself,....  "I would also stress that I do mean ‘make’, unlike many others in this field, I am not content to buy in ready made bodies and necks, I make my own to ensure I have complete control over the look and feel of the instrument."
  • I only went round once to buy some Voodoo pickups for my Tele, had a lot of All Parts boxes then for necks and bodies. Maybe he has started making them fully, or maybe he does a bit of both. 
    His guitars are good though, whatever the origin. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    WezV said:
    usedtobe said:
    I don't think there is a correct bravewood logo you could put in its place.

They are the best vintage fender replicas out there... and the attention to detail does include the logo.

i will be honest, it did used to bother me.... but my first bravewood experience had me counting pennies.
    Ah, I see now.. It's not a brand I've heard of, AFAIK.. :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Apologies in advance for derailing your thread...That's a coincidence, I'd never heard of this shop till earlier this week when I did some googling and found them to have a lovely 90's Custom Shop Esquire in stock albeit at a high price. I did some research on Facebook and found they'd had it in stock for 15 months, did some more searching and found the very same guitar was sold for almost half the price at an auction in Japan in 2014. So I messaged Some Neck Guitars, they requested the link for the Japan sale and told me it had come in p/x locally, anyway I asked if there was room for negotiation on price as they'd had it for so long and ended up making them an offer as a starting point of £2k but they flatly refused and didn't even bother telling me how much they would accept when I replied...how odd are dealers? If I'd got a cash buyer on an expensive guitar that I was stuck with I would have been very eager to strike a deal, but  oh no. Don't suppose you saw the Esquire @peteri ? I asked for a condition description but they didn't give me anything either. Cheers.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    Just take the logo off if it bothers you that much! Bravewoods are fantastic guitars. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    LOVE my Bravewood strat, it has a Fender logo ... doesn't bother me at all.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    BGG said:
    LOVE my Bravewood strat, it has a Fender logo ... doesn't bother me at all.
    I am exactly the same, amazing guitars, logo is a non-issue for me.

I knew what it was when I bought it and in the unlikely event I ever let it go, I'll make damn sure any future owner knows too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    @Strat54 ;
    thats interesting - no sign of any Esquire on the wall at all. If I pass by tomorrow I'll ask!

what they did have was a sg jr.Why I mention that is in October they had it on the wall and I played it. It's a nice guitar but absolutely a player non-investment, plenty of dings and a few changes. 

I reckoned in the U.K. You'd pay £2500 for that at the time. They wouldn't budge under £2800 and didn't want to negotiate at all. 

Same guitar is in there still and they've put the price up to £3000!

interesting model

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    @peteri  It looks like a Tele because it has a neck pickup which only shows the pole pieces through the guard...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0081/3152/products/IMG_0043_dbd03f3f-d707-4e14-89f3-d43b61c8352a_1024x1024.JPG?v=1450183057
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Personally I would touch it - unless it had a Terry Morgan logo.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    To me, it makes no difference whatsoever what logo is on it, I'd take it on its own merit as an instrument. 

But it is interesting that no one/the usual suspects seem to be screaming fake like they would in a Terry Morgan thread?  What's the difference??
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    miserneil said:
    To me, it makes no difference whatsoever what logo is on it, I'd take it on its own merit as an instrument. 

But it is interesting that no one/the usual suspects seem to be screaming fake like they would in a Terry Morgan thread?  What's the difference??
    none
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    miserneil said:

That was really the point I was making :)