One guitar owners

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    robgilmo said:
    One electric , one acoustic, that doesn't count, does it?
    Perhaps I should've specified the thread as 'one electric guitar owners', therefore one of each type of guitar is acceptable.

One electric and one acoustic for me, love it the electric has an emg 81 and a emg h single coil, with that pairing I can so every ring I want, roll it off for clean clarity or roll it up for filth, the acoustic is a 60s guild f20 and the only acoustic I'll ever need 
    VimFuego said:
    robgilmo said:

same, tho the electric doesn't get played. So I guess from a playing POV I only have one guitar.

EDIT: I like just having the one TBH, I don't worry about whether I sound like this player or that band, whther I need a dread, or a parlour, whether I should have a RW guitar and so on. I just play the thing.

Interesting. That's how I'd like things to be.  The reason I posted this thread is due to recently acquiring a Yamaha Pacifica 904, which I'm very happy with. It's incredibly playable and has a huge palate of sounds. However, I've also got a JJ Jewel with two P90s, and after fitting some new strings to it the other day... OMG, it's so bloody good! It has actually made me think 'what do I even need the Pacifica for?' - I can do all I need to with the JJ. But having said all that, there's a Strat on this forum I'd like to have...

Guitars... the love and bane of my life

@Sassafras - I propper lolled at your last two posts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    You posted this as a joke, but i don't find it much more ridiculous than folk who have 7 virtually indistinguishable Les Paul's or Strats. 
    Hey, they're all different colours and the neck profiles vary slightly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    TimmyO said:
    robgilmo said:
    Well *I'm* impressed, tell us more... 
    Well, the electric one is electric and I love it cos it does electric guitar stuff and the acoustic is an electric with the sound turned down and i love the acoustic sound it makes, so there you have it, but that's not the reason I only have two, the reason I don't have any more is because I'm always close to skint.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    robgilmo said:
    TimmyO said:
    robgilmo said:
    Well *I'm* impressed, tell us more... 
    Well, the electric one is electric and I love it cos it does electric guitar stuff and the acoustic is an electric with the sound turned down and i love the acoustic sound it makes, so there you have it, but that's not the reason I only have two, the reason I don't have any more is because I'm always close to skint.

kinda the same, tho tbh if I had spare cash for more toys, I'd probably spend it on lessons instead.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I love having more than one, two archtops, two telecasters, four acoustics, and a godin thingy.

I go through phases, it's been acoustics recently.

I generally don't want to buy guitars, I'm actually happy with what I have, that said I'm a bit obsessed with Atkin guitars at the moment.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    I've got four guitars and two basses but to be be honest I find the whole "you need to have loads of guitars" thing really tedious. 
  • for me three electrics and one acoustic is the optimum number, any less and i feel lacking, more is just duplication and too much choice. i have 5 electric at the moment so intend to downsize .
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    No way, I couldn't survive with just one guitar - I currently possess nine of them and still I find myself looking for more! 
    We are all Chameleons...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I have one guitar (Gibson LPJ) which I'm currently refinishing. I'm effect I don't have a single guitar to play right now. I plan on building an Esquire shortly too. After that I'm going to continually build guitars for myself as well as customer orders. I haven't had more than one guitar for 8 years and tbh... its about time I put that right!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I have a HSH G&L Invader Plus that does everything but Alternate Tunings (German Floyd Rose) and both Humbuckers split.

It's a Swamp Ash Guitar with a fat Flatsawn Maple Neck, so it has enough mass and warmth to substitute for a Les Paul.

If wasn't finishing up with Guitar, then I would partner it with a Hardtail Model too, as I've gotten rid of both my Yamaha SGs now. G&L is a Brand I regularly return to and bore other Guitarists about...

The L2000 is the Swiss Army Knife of Basses also. 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I love having multiple guitars, have them all out on a rack to just grab the one you fancy and play. I have a guitar I'd never sell as it was a gift, another one I've had for 20 plus years and love even though I'd be lucky to get £50 for it, I have them all for a reason even if that's just because I love the way it looks.

Life was never meant to be serious and disciplined, having things you like just because you like them is one of life's pleasures.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I read once that someone famous (can't recall who) said that the only 3 guitars you'll ever need are a Les Paul, a Strat and a Martin acoustic & you'll then have everything covered.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Voxman said:
    I read once that someone famous (can't recall who) said that the only 3 guitars you'll ever need are a Les Paul, a Strat and a Martin acoustic & you'll then have everything covered.  
    Clearly someone who'd pissed all of his money away on drugs.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Voxman said:

Couldn't have been Joe Bonamassa, then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Sassafras said:
    Voxman said:

He doesn't play guitar; he just pisses people off.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    only one guitar? - unlikely to come to this drop-in center then -more likely to be hanging out on Railway Modeller web...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sassafras said:
    Voxman said:

Well, you kind of have to alter that premise a tad for Joe - one whole building for strats, one for LP's, one floor for Martins etc etc

In fact he's a hero because the person who said you only need 3 guitars had a very close call and a near-death experience - apparently the idea was catching on so much that the guitar stores had to put out a contract on him.  Fortunately they didn't need to carry it out as Joe Bonamassa, bless him, bought another few buildings worth of guitars and amps and single handedly saved the whole guitar industry. They even wrote a song to honour him..."Hey Joe, where you going with 500 'Paul's in your hand?" D   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    If you're playing in any kind of live scenario live surely two of any type (electric/acoustic/bass - depending on what you play) is the absolute minimum to allow for one back up?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Eski said:
    If you're playing in any kind of live scenario live surely two of any type (electric/acoustic/bass - depending on what you play) is the absolute minimum to allow for one back up?
    I agree 100%!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I've only had one guitar at a time for years now. Although I don't own any at the moment. 

I've only had an acoustic for the last two or three years, until the start of 2017, when I sold it. 

I don't gig, so I don't need a backup. I can understand the different tones argument but it's something I've never required. 

Whatever works for you. 

One thing i've really never understood is the whole buying shit loads of mediocre guitars when the total cost adds up to one or two really nice ones. 

I work with with a guy like this. He loves SG's. He has about eight of them. He'd love a CS version but says he can't justify the cost. Then moans he has no room because of all the guitars. Crazy really. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to