Who gig's with a 4x12?

What's Hot
nick79nick79 Frets: 254
Just mildly curious.... Anyone here gigging with a 4x12 cab? Until recently i used a 1x12 combo but since changing to a head + cab set up i've been using a 4x12. It sounds huge at rehearsal's but i'm yet to gig it.
While i'm here, the one i'm using is closed back. It's very directional and i was thing about maybe converting to open back, maybe just a third or maybe half. I gather that would make it a bit less directional?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Are you the only guitarist? I used to gig with a 100 watt head into a 4x12, but played with another guitarist who had a 120 watt head into a 4x12, so that covered the stage spread into the crowd. Nothing quite like the grunt of a closed back 4x12!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Always :) I much prefer the sound, even if I only turn it up to 1. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Yes I am - at least one.    I like a pair of them next to each other rather than stacked.    Sounds glorious.   

What cab are are you using? 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Whilst I don't use a 4x12, I have previously used a closed back 2x12 and it was far more directional than the open back I now use. It also had more low end capability, and it sounded great! It also depends on what type of music you play, and as @ICBM says, whether you are the only guitarist. I'd also suggest looking at what other bands playing your style of music use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    4x12s are for pisswimps, 6x12s are where the real men hang out 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    timmysoft said:
    4x12s are for pisswimps, 6x12s are where the real men hang out 
    My new favourite insult. 

Im planning on gigging my 4x12, although I'm not looking at weekly pub gigs to be fair. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I used to use 4 x 12 cabs years ago but found a good 2x12 or oversized 2x12 will (for some reason) help cut through better and still get a great tone. Sure the huge low end a 4x12 gives is awesome but I've had better results with my current 2x12.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Yep...and if the new band works out, we'll be either a 2 or 3 piece, I'll run 2 4x12's
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited April 2017
    If you're the only guitarist is a 4x12 best and/or essential for a big sound? I've only been in 2 guitar bands before where a 2x12 was fine but my new band start gigging I want it to sound massive. Likewise is a big watt amp needed or a loud 20w ok? This is loud rock music not blooze or anything clean.
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    I used to gig with an AC30 1x12. Now I gig with a JCM800 and a 4x12 stack with greenbacks. It sounds huge and I don't think I could go back. I know there is a difference between the amps but even with a different head (VHT special 6) it still sounds massive. Get some casters and a friend to help you up and down stairs.

• AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    For larger and outdoor gigs, I used to use a cornford closed back 4x12 behind me and a semi open backed 2x12 on the other side of the stage. Sounded absolutely massive but was complete overkill for smaller pub gigs so I'd downsize to using just the 2x12.
  • ive never gigged a 4x12. i saw a friends band he had two 4x12, the full stack, sounded amazing, but afterwards he told me the bottom cab was empty. whether because i thought he had 8 speakers or not i would love to play that setup. unfortunately, small venues i play, car space and no roadies mean its unlikely
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    You're all wimps

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I always gigged with a 4x12, when out and about that would nearly always be the backline and we would just bring heads, if I had to bring mine, it was on castors so no probs. That was metal though. I could never trust the monitors/sound guys were going to be any good, and anything smaller and I wouldn't have heard myself or the other guitar.
  • I was using a 4x12 for while thinking it would be the best option for low end thump. But when walking into the audience area the beaming nature of the cab negated any close up benefit and sounded thin and had directional volume issues. So I swapped to a 2x12 which is best of both worlds, lots of body but not beamy. And lighter to carry! Fwiw it was an orange 4x12 and now I have a zilla vertical 2x12 with creamback in top and a kk100 in lower that can be open or closed back.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    CarpeDiem said:
    Whilst I don't use a 4x12, I have previously used a closed back 2x12 and it was far more directional than the open back I now use. It also had more low end capability, and it sounded great! It also depends on what type of music you play, and as @ICBM says, whether you are the only guitarist. I'd also suggest looking at what other bands playing your style of music use.
    Closed back cabs versus open backed are very much a matter of taste.  My 2x12 AD120VTX Valvetronix and 2x12 AD212 extn cab are both closed back. Very directional, & loads of bottom end ...especially when stacked!  Took me a while to get used to them though because from the side on stage you get a bit less volume which is slightly disconcerting but very deceptive because its seriously chucking it out to the audience! rocker 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

In a heavy, single guitar and bass band. I like a 4x12 on either side of the drums where possible. But with most gigs being in smaller venues a 2x12 on each side (a vertical victory + horizontal marshall) gives a nice spread, and means I can work amp harder.
    That being said, always at the mercy of shared backline cabs.

• nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Cheers guys, some helpful stuff there. 
    In answer to your questions, we are a 2 guitar band playing the usual classic rock and light-ish metal. I'm using a Mini Rectifier and while it's definitely loud enough i'm finding it very directional. This makes it awkward in the small practise room we use as my bandmates open backed 1x12 combo tends to fill the room and unless i'm standing 10 feet in front of mine i'm struggling to hear it. 
    So i'm wondering if i opened the back up a bit would it be a bit less directional and easier to hear while i'm standing a bit closer?
    Its a UK made solid cab, marine birch ply with a mix of Eminence Governers and Celestion g12-75's. I like the sound of it, loads of low end but could just do with a more 'open' sound if that makes sense.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    After watching a few vids in tempted to use the spare 2 2x12 Marshall cabs in my practice room to set up a wet dry wet

Not sure I would gig it tho. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    This is how its done, you bunch of pisswimps.