Anyone tried a boss ls2 with a jcm800 or similar for rythmn /lead channels ?

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
as much as I love my Mesa stiletto , I still love jcm800's too.

The issue with my 2203 was I just couldn't get a boost for leads .
pretty much the only thing I didn't try was a boss Ls2.

i had this idea - sd1 or ts9 in loop 1 for rythmn , then switch to another boost pedal in loop 2 of the ls2 to give solos a lift .

anyone tried it ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    edited April 2017
    You don't really need another boost pedal, just turn the second loop level up. You can actually use the LS-2 as a one- or two-level true clean boost, if you want.

It still isn't going to boost an already overdriven 2203 though, if it's going into the front - you do need a TS, or best of all an SD-1, for that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    What you're suggesting will work. I used to use the LS2 to select between two different loops off effects. 
    ICBM's suggestion is also worth trying. 

But all your doing is compressing the driven channel further with drive pedals. Have you tried an EQ. I always found that worked best for a lead boost on already driven amp. Just boost the mids
    How very rock and roll
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    What you're suggesting will work. I used to use the LS2 to select between two different loops off effects. 
    ICBM's suggestion is also worth trying. 

But all your doing is compressing the driven channel further with drive pedals. Have you tried an EQ. I always found that worked best for a lead boost on already driven amp. Just boost the mids
    I was thinking along similar lines,

I used to use a ts9 for a boosted rythmn sound and kick in an mxr eq for leads. Not much more volume, but a lot more noise.

Maybe an SD1 on its own for rythmn and an EQ on its own for leads might work??!!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I did this exact thing,
    SD-1 in loop one, gain high, LS-2 volume dialled back for rhythm.
    loop 2 volume boosted for solos, I set the amp on a pretty heavy crunch.

works a treat in any band where you are not playing with another guitarist that uses an Orange amp.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    I did this exact thing,

works a treat in any band where you are not playing with another guitarist that uses an Orange amp.

The other guitarist in my band has a 5150, toally different EQ to what I would use.

Looks like I need to keep my eye out for another jcm800!!!
    I did this exact thing,

The other guitarist in my band has a 5150, toally different EQ to what I would use.

I was kinda half joking about the Orange amp, they seem to have a woolly blanket that totally masks other amps, at least that's my experience anyway. 

I did this exact thing,

I was kinda half joking about the Orange amp, they seem to have a woolly blanket that totally masks other amps, at least that's my experience anyway. 

They do have a bit of a furry blanket  midrange, thats for sure!!

So you didn't loose anything having the sd1 on loop1 dialled back a little?? 
    I did this exact thing,

They do have a bit of a furry blanket  midrange, thats for sure!!

So you didn't loose anything having the sd1 on loop1 dialled back a little?? 
    Its a compromise sure. 
    It kept the gain high enough whilst letting me boost enough for solos, the main issue being aforementioned Orange user, so my solo boost was insanely ott. 

With a less blankety 2nd guitarist I would have maxed out the 800, tamed loop 1 and boosted loop 2. 

In the end I ran the 800 clean(ish) and stacked a Blackstar he-dual pedal into it. 
    3 channels and sounded great, but when I recorded it was just 800 all the way.