What P 90 for my build

What's Hot
Currently embarked on a new build which I fancy using P90 pickups in. whats the general consensus on SD stack P90's, I like the idea of the noiseless P90 however the cost!, I have looked at Bare Knuckles however want some feedback. ultimatly the guitar is aimed at blues/rock players.

Thoughts please
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    Noiseless P90's sound crap to me.  Flat and missing the dynamics that make P90's special. Vineham P90's sound amazing. 
    Tone rider Vintage P90's are a great budget option.  
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Bare Knuckle Nantucket..................look no further!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I agree..  The stacked ones arnt the same...

I have a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat for my next build.. Its a humbucker sized P90...  Also I cant say enough good things about the Vanson humbucker sized P90.... Sound so good and such a great price.
  • TimberGTimberG Frets: 50
    Thanks guys Barenuckle blue notes are winning at the moment closely followed by Nantucket
  • @TimberG  absolutely the Firewatch P90 from OilCity without a doubt - beats the snot out of BKP IMO :)

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/vintagep90.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Very pleased with my master wound Oil City P90s. Very similar to the Sanford Magnetics on the Doug & Pat shoot-out.   And another vote against the stacked versions - very sterile sounding in comparison.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Thinking I might go switchable dummy coil with my P90 build. Never done it before so interested to try plus it keeps the proper P90 thing there.

• TimberGTimberG Frets: 50
    I did look at oil city's but couldn't fine many sound clips must look harder 

cheers for the responses
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I have been listening hard recently the noiseless thing is nice but I have yet to hear one that does not lose something in translation so it's a trade off essentially.

So my head is currently at ok if not going authentic old P90 sound which one of the noiseless can I build a good sound around so not authentic but still going to be a nice blues rock sound.

So up the pricey end is short listed to

Kinman
    Joe Barden 
    Di Marzio

the wild card is Emg I never knew they made ll their classic humbuckers in a p90 format. Everybody hates them these days but there is some stuff to be had if you get past your pre conceived ideas.

the final thought is rout for a humucker and go Duncan P rails. Lots of versatility and the p90 sound is in the ball park if not totally authentic.

if I go standard p90 then I have a Fralin in the parts box very detailed and articulate with gain or would look at OCP hard to beat for value and sound.

if I had to go total budget probably Wilkinson I have one in the parts box and when you tear it down it's 2 alnico magnets a 7.8k coil of wire and gets the job done for less than tonerider which is in my mind just doing a boutique branding on a cheap Far East pickup you can pickup a wilkinson for 15 quid on eBay.

Not sure all that helps but that's the point I am up to on the journey ha ha

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I agree with a lot of the above - stacked just don't have it....

For medium price, genuine sound (IMHO) Lollar P-90.  But I would, next time, order direct from USA.  I had a poor 'Experience' of a UK well known supplier who don't tell you until you've ordered and paid for it that they are not in stock, who then order them from US and then you wait not only for them to be shipped from the US to their distributor!!! - who then in turn ship them to them who then ship to you.  Took 5 weeks!!!!!!! And no updates except when I chased (a number of times) and ultimately threatened to cancel.  Ordered direct from US, I reckon it would have been 3 - 4 days

Or Tonerider - I've yet to have any Tonerider that hasn't banged way, way over its buck.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I *might* have a pair of Jason Lollar P90s available soon. Nothing definite but...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I don't have much experience with p90s, but I bought an Oil City last year and I like it very much indeed.