Tips on using the Zoom H5 for recording rehearsals

Hey all

I've just bought one of these and wondered if anyone's got advice on the best way to configure it so we get the most out of the mic inputs available...

Zoom H5

We've got two guitarists, bassist, drummer, and normally one (sometimes two) vocalists.

I'm guessing that if we connect it to the line out on the mixer, we can get multiple vocals direct from that, so any advice on getting everything else in the best way? 

If we wire the mixer to one of the XLR inputs, we could use the general mic at the top to record the room, which leaves another XLR input for one of the guitars, but not all of them.

We could put the mixer into the top mic instead, leaving two XLRs, but then that's not enough for the guitars and drums.

I could buy more mics, but I'd rather not splash any more cash if I can avoid it.

Any tips?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Depends what you're using it for really. If you're just using it to listen back, then just finding good room placement, and managing the in room levels, just switch it on basically.

We use a H2N in the rehearsal room, and it's pretty good. Just tidy up the track lengths and send them out for everyone's reviewing.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I stick mine at the back of the room, roughly placed so it's not pointing at any particular sound source, set the levels to the recommended -12db (I think) and start recording. Does well enough for listening back ( actually it usually gets remarkably good recordings, relatively speaking). If the vox are audible in the room then this works with no need for line ins from the mixer.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I would try doing it old skool - stick it up in the room, make a test recording, have a listen, adjust the instrument volumes accordingly and repeat until the it sounds best. I don't think it is the right device to be close micing things with, unless you already have a mixer and sufficient mics in which case you could try recording a stereo mix with one mic on each instrument and vocal, more on the drums if available. However that sounds like a lot of faff to me - kind of defeats the object of having a Handy Recorder.

Having not used that particular device, I can only offer general recording advice - I have been involved in recording a large number of rehearsals over the years though. 

Firstly, make sure there is no Automatic Level control enabled on it and that you leave plenty of headroom in the recording. Secondly, wonder round the room while playing and see if you can find a spot where it sounds well balanced - try sticking the H5 there. Record at 24 bit if you can. I would probably leave any limiting or other processing off and do that on a computer after the fact if required. Lastly remember (to paraphrase someone more famous than me) the success of a recording is 90% performance, 9% the room and 1% the choice of mics, preamp etc.

I presume you are just wanting rough recordings of rehearsal stuff (rather than release quality) in which case you don't want to upset the rehearsal workflow too much by focusing on the recording.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10444
    One thing I noticed is those things love cymbals, so I found the best results came from positioning the thing lower down, out of the directional beam of that cymbal high end. Also resting it on a piece of foam helps as the vibration in the room affects the recording

Have a realistic expectations too as the recordings aren't gonna be great ... just ok for listing back and checking arrangements 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Sounds like using the H5 might be over-kill then. And definitely agree that you shouldn't waste time messing about with recording levels when you're supposed to be playing. I can be pretty guilty of that. I just really like to listen back to what we've done, and so far using an older model Zoom a couple of times, and a GoPro, the sounds been pretty bad. Perhaps it always will be using this kind of kit.

Previously with the Zoom on just the room mic, the guitars have sounded very thin, so that's why I thought miking up the amps could be a good idea. Maybe I just use it for the basics and not worry to much about anything else.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I use the Zoom H1 for the same purposes. Import the recordings to GarageBand then split them up, do some quick tracking and a very simple mix and they can be pretty decent recordings. 

Last session we mic'd the drums using the studio mics and amps using our own sm57s, set the levels on the mixer then took a tape out into the H1. Except one of the studios mics or cables was fucked and there was a buzz on the whole track which was shit. 

The openlive thing at piratestudios is worthwhile though, it's only an extra £2 an hour. 
    Tried it for the first time on Sunday, and micing up the guitar amp made a big difference. As did taking the vocal from the mixer. I've tried the OpenLive thing, but didn't really get a good sound from it. Possibly because our singer was right under the mic and drowned everything else out a bit.

ijonty said:
    Tried it for the first time on Sunday, and micing up the guitar amp made a big difference. As did taking the vocal from the mixer. I've tried the OpenLive thing, but didn't really get a good sound from it. Possibly because our singer was right under the mic and drowned everything else out a bit.
    What time were you there? We did a similar thing on Sunday haha
    rico said:
    ijonty said:
    There 6 til 9pm in studio five. You a regular there?

ijonty said:
    rico said:
    ijonty said:
    There 6 til 9pm in studio five. You a regular there?
    Yes every weekend. Usually around late morning to early afternoon but evening sessions with a couple of beers are good fun too.