Now that the Katana honeymoon period is over.........

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    I am on the verge of buying the 100w 1x12 version of this amp. Its getting a lot of praise and I have been impressed by what I have heard online. Hopefully I am going to get a chance to try out the 50w version at the weekend but nowhere near me has the 100w in stock and I would prefer that model because it has an FX loop.

I'm just coming on here before I take the plunge to ask can the 100w 1x12 produce good tones at quiet levels or would I be better off with something else? My neighbours in the flat upstairs had a baby recently so I need to keep the noise down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    My son play's his (almost 24/7) in the room above our sitting room.

Uses 1/4 watt setting and it sounds very good indeed.

He has added a BD2, DS1 and SD1 to his Katana and the sounds emanating from his practice sessions make me wish I had something like this 30 years ago when I was his age (yes I am a old git!)

So I don't think your neighbours would complain.  The 100W setting however......... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Bluebeard said:
    I am on the verge of buying the 100w 1x12 version of this amp. Its getting a lot of praise and I have been impressed by what I have heard online. Hopefully I am going to get a chance to try out the 50w version at the weekend but nowhere near me has the 100w in stock and I would prefer that model because it has an FX loop.

I'm just coming on here before I take the plunge to ask can the 100w 1x12 produce good tones at quiet levels or would I be better off with something else? My neighbours in the flat upstairs had a baby recently so I need to keep the noise down.

The 100w has a 0.5w mode same as the 50w I have and that's pretty decent.

you also have a decent amp for headphones with a katana 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I was kind of amazed when I tried the 100w, just on the 0.5w setting it was plenty loud, like I got a couple of hard stares from the staff outside the sound proof room, and I didn't have it cranked. It was louder than I have my DSL set at home and wasn't struggling. 
  • do you have to have the £85 footswitch to change chanels, i know you can press buttons on the amp but thats not practical for live work, is there a cheaper alternative, could be the dealbreaker for me
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the advice!

do you have to have the £85 footswitch to change chanels, i know you can press buttons on the amp but thats not practical for live work, is there a cheaper alternative, could be the dealbreaker for me

You can use a latching footswitch for changing between channels 1 and 2. Oh and the Head model can be controlled by a MIDI foot-controller

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I'm not sure about the amp models if I'm honest,

they seem to just get progressively louder from "acoustic" to "brown" for me
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    Bluebeard said:

Yes, very good at low volumes.  The 0.5w setting goes relatively loud but works well from a whisper.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    I must get round to trying out the head, seems very useful for home playing
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    tony99 said:
    I'm not sure about the amp models if I'm honest,

they seem to just get progressively louder from "acoustic" to "brown" for me
    Yeah the Blackstars follow the same pattern, not a specific model as much as a "type".
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

He has added a BD2, DS1 and SD1 to his Katana and the sounds emanating from his practice sessions make me wish I had something like this 30 years ago when I was his age (yes I am a old git!)

So I don't think your neighbours would complain.  The 100W setting however......... ;)
    Bluebeard said:

Thanks!

Bluebeard said:

Thanks!