Spend or save?

What's Hot
mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
Should i splash out on deluxe usa strat or just get Mexican and Save money. 500 quid difference. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
    By way Mexican just standard strat
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    I think with most guitars but it seems Strats especially, you need to get the one that feels right in your hands. And quite often there's no logic to that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I would buy the best guitar you can afford, but try it out first so you can determine if you're totally happy with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9613
    Mexican and buy some nice pickups that suits your playing style/preference. Still £350 up.
    That's issue can't get hands on one as online. Can get hands on two mim strats for 300 ish
    One is sss and one hss 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I would try one out in a guitar shop if you cam, ideally through an amp that is the same as you use. You could try and haggle over the price. As for pickup configuration, this depends on what style of music you play - consider what type do your favourite players use as a guide. Hope this helps.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Why Deluxe over Standard in the USA?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Classic Player!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited April 2017
    Mexican Std plus some decent pickups will still be a lot cheaper than a US. Or, @usedtobe suggestion of a CP - The few I've played have all been excellent.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    If you buy a Mex Strat, throw away the bridge for starters add in decent pickups and you might as well buy a US Strat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Both second hand. Can't find standard second hand at better original price as deluxe at present unless but off another person but worried then not legit. Can have come back on a shop
    Was going to possibly get a mex roadhouse but difference between that and USA deluxe 120 quid and then have to buy hard case
    Well been to see one nice enough obviously some marks since second hand. Has original
    mex strat pickups but would swap over for noiseless for same price. Only thing is slightly crack next to neck in paint 
    No choice someone bought it again. I am starting to wonder if people see what I post online find it and then buy it.  So Annoyed this two Fridays in a row went to buy a guitar and it's already just gone on same day :-(
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    mprcomp said:
    No choice someone bought it again. I am starting to wonder if people see what I post online find it and then buy it.  So Annoyed this two Fridays in a row went to buy a guitar and it's already just gone on same day :-(
    Don't sweat it - there are plenty of guitars about and it wasn't something super-rare. Personally, I don't think most US strats are significantly better value than Mexican ones, but they often have specs that you can't get in Mex guitars. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Buy the one you would want if money was no issue....

I had a similiar situation, was gassing big time for a strat bout 5 years ago.. i had my heart set on an american standard strat... i played around with a few.... eventually played a 59 AVRi strat in sonic blue... at the time it was 600 quid difference between that and the standard....

I reckon if id have bought the standard i prob would have sold it by now... but the 59 AVRI will never be sold.

SAVE and WAIT for the one you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Everyone has had differing experiences and opinions.

Personally I'm a big fan of MIJ Fender's, they often come in unique finishes and are generally good quality other than maybe electronics and hardware, but the wood is good. They seem to be going up in price at a silly rate though, or at least asking prices do, not sure about actual selling prices.

For me, looks are important, and some of the top end Mexican stuff comes in nicer finishes than the USA Std. range; colours like Surf Green, Seafoam, Daphne Blue etc, or the holy grail, Shell Pink.

Judge each on it's merits, but Shell Pink or Blue Flower/Floral gets big bonus points.
    Well bought a  Mexican fsr limited model only 52 made and I have one has tbx boost.  Now for amp. Needs a setup but even if decide to sell not going to lose much on it. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    mprcomp said:
    Well bought a  Mexican fsr limited model only 52 made and I have one has tbx boost.  Now for amp. Needs a setup but even if decide to sell not going to lose much on it. 
    los pix por favor
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!