Looking for someone to build me a power supply

frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
edited April 2017 in Making & Modding
Hello gents. I recently purchased a Tascam Portastudio 424 MK3 on ebay without the adapter thinking it would be easy to find another one. It isn't. The only ones I've found cost 70 quid from the states plus import fees. I've considered taking the job on myself but as I'm reluctant to blow the unit, my house or even myself to smithereens, I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to take on the job in return for a fee?  

I have the transformer, I assume it's the correct one: http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/ctfcs50-12/transformer-50va-2-x-12v/dp/1780891?CMP=AFC-CJ-UK-3640931&source=CJ

I also have a 6 din custom cable that was sent with the unit, plus a metal case that I have lying around somewhere.

If you want to take on the job, let me know, and we can discuss further details.

Cheers,

Frank
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited April 2017
    If anyone can point me in the right direction with regards to finding someone that can do the job that would be great.

Unfortunately there are no 3rd party adapters that are suitable, and i'm reluctant to spend over a hundred quid to get one imported from the U.S 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Just for info, I found he following info:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/816449-modding-tascam-424-mkiii-portastudio.html

...summary, according to one of the later posts it needs a centre-tapped transformer, and all the rectification/smoothing occurs in the recorder itself.  No guarantee this is correct of course...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Post 29 in that thread should give us the necessary information - the only possible flaw is that he hasn't shown if the pin connections in the plug are viewed from the pin side or the back side, but I'm betting from the pin side.

So it looks like the centre tap goes to pins 2 and 3, and the two AC connections to 1 and 6, and 4 and 5, respectively. (It doesn't matter which way round, as it's AC.) You could probably get away with connecting to just 1, 3 and 5 - that would also remove the possible symmetry issue.

If this still sounds to difficult to do yourself, drop me a PM if you can't find anyone local to do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein