Restrung strat with 10s from 9s - anything wrong here ?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
Restrung my MIM strat with 10s this week (10-46), when it has only had 9s previously.

plays very nice with the 10s (as it did with the 9s)

however I am sure the term/tailpiece was never as raised as it seems to be now.  Does this level of "raise" look ok ?

also any idea on what I have done with the displaced screw on the bottom pic.  I am guessing i just need to loosen the strings off and screw something back down, but am just wary in case all manner of little bits of silver metal will spring off into all corners 

advice gratefully received 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52eo6fj3tg0cquk/File%2022-04-2017%2C%2012%2013%2001.jpeg?raw=1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The 10s have more tension so the have pulled it up further, a strat trem should only float by a few mm normally.  Lessen the strings, take off the backplate and tighten the screws on the spring claw to a few turns pull the trem back down, tune up and repeat if required
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Ta, guessed that was the case :) 

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5164
    Wot John said^..adjust screws under backplate so bridge is about a beer mat thickness or so off the body.  :)
  • You need to level up the two grub screws that adjust the height of the bottom E string.  It looks to like the outside screw needs tightened to match the height of the inner screw. I find that if I change gauges the truss rod usually needs about a quarter of a turn to keep the neck relief the same. In this case the additional tension from the strings will increase the relief.
    Neck relief is a personal preference like string height. If you do fell you need to adjust the truss rod, do it in very small increments.
    Thanks all

surprising how much I had to screw the big springs in to get it down
    sorted the grub screws on the E string

going out to do Go Ape now (!?) so will look at it this evening and see if the neck needs a twist too

thanks all
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    chances are the neck will need a tweak but often better to look at it a short time later to see if any movement - let us all know if you need help on that - as @bacchanalian states do a small bit and edit accordingly a day or so later as required

Ref the trem - there is no definitive set-up that suits all - some want it floating (some more than others) - some what it flat or nearly flat - some want 5 springs and flat to give more 'vibration/resonance'
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Just as an added, I'd be tempted to shim the neck, use a piece of business card as those grub screws are way too high. The guitar will feel a lot better with a little angle on the neck 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited April 2017
    There's a trick that works really well if you're changing string gauge and want the trem to sit at the same angle.

Before you do anything, remove the back plate and find a piece of wood that fits exactly between the rear of the trem block and the body. It should have no gap - it needs to be an exact fit.

Replace the strings and tune to pitch. The extra tension will hold the piece of wood firmly in place. Gradually tighten the trem claw screws until the block can be removed and the trem will be floating in exactly the same place as before you started.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks all - appreciate the advice :)
  • @richardhomer Wisworthy tip!! 
    Wow, this has been fun.

strat now set up nicely. Main spring tension sorted out, did intonation, and string heights.  Playing beautifully now.

decided to do similar to my LP.  Tuneamatic was fun, I thought it was on the wrong way round as it is difficult getting to the intonation screws from the bridge pickup side.
    so loosened strings off, flipped it round and then did the intonation easier from the tailpiece side although I think that is wrong now I look at it, so I will turn it back tonight and take the opportunity to restring
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    sev112 said:
    Wow, this has been fun.

strat now set up nicely. Main spring tension sorted out, did intonation, and string heights.  Playing beautifully now.

decided to do similar to my LP.  Tuneamatic was fun, I thought it was on the wrong way round as it is difficult getting to the intonation screws from the bridge pickup side.
    so loosened strings off, flipped it round and then did the intonation easier from the tailpiece side although I think that is wrong now I look at it, so I will turn it back tonight and take the opportunity to restring
    Was just about to say, check the intonation too.