Best dual purpose amp

What's Hot
mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
So I finally got a strat now I want to get a tube amp that is great for potential to do some gigs but also can be turned down for bedroom use without having to adjust eq. Would buy used to save money at moment thinking blackstar series one 45.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    dunno if it's what your after, but that cornell amp sporky is selling sounds like it could do what you want.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30915
    Tone King Imperial. Exctly what you want.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Don't want to put you off the S 1 45 but if you think 4.5 W is not going to annoy next door or wake the chavvy, think again.

The power control is more about getting the right tone at the right level, not for virtually silent practice. That said, the S1 and others, have the (AFAIK?) unique feature that the OP stage can be turned off but the rest of the pre amp stage used with  an AI or into a hi fi rig/active monitor. Then of course you can adjust the volume to any level you want.

Beware of a REALLY early Series One. The controls were not well implemented. Basically, pull off a knob and if it has a 'half flat' black plastic shaft with a ~8mm black bush behind it, walk away OR get it for silly money.

The early'ish ones had 2 Century Neos and so were pretty light for a pretty loud twin. Later production used V30s and that glued them to the floor! But I don't suppose they are any heavier than other 2x12 combos? Certainly not as hard to shift as the Artisan 30.

Dave.

• mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
    Hmm I also keep thinking about getting brand new valveking 50 at only 399 but suppose s1 much better amp 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The S1 45 is a great amp, and although it sounds better wound up a bit the master volume on it is great and it sound good at low levels too.  The 4.5 watt setting is loud though, don't expect to use it at home with the volume past 2 even on that setting
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Check out the RD Dualist in the classifieds at the moment. Really great versatile amp 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Laney Cub 12R:
    15w valve amp, great sounding single channel amp with excellent features
    • Responsive on-board controls: volume, treble, mids, bass, gain, plus extra EQ tone shape control 
    • 2-inputs (1x15w and 1x1w).
    • 12" speaker for a bigger, fuller tone (HH's in the new one's are good - mine was an earlier version that came with a horrid Celestion Rocket 50 that I took out & replaced with a Celestion Vintage 30)
    • Good quality built in digital reverb
    • 8/16 Ohm extn speaker cab out (means you can plug it into a 2x12 or 4x12 cab!) 
    • Serial FX loop - great for time based effects (eg delay, modulation) and/or EQ pedal
    • Built in 'kick-stand' to angle amp up.
    • If you buy new and register on-line, free warranty extension to 5 yrs. 
    • £319 (but only £290 from Bax shop UK). Not too many around second-hand, as players like them & tend to hold on to them.
    Compact, can be used quietly at home but plenty loud enough for club gigs.  Here's some demo vids I did of mine with a Les Paul & a Strat:

Les Paul

Strat

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    mprcomp said:
    Hmm I also keep thinking about getting brand new valveking 50 at only 399
    Seriously, don't. I like Peaveys generally, but the VKs are just very average to poor sounding amps. If you want a Peavey that actually sounds more like a proper valve amp - and more importantly just sounds good - buy a Transtube Bandit :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    ICBM said:
    mprcomp said:
    Hmm I also keep thinking about getting brand new valveking 50 at only 399
    Seriously, don't. I like Peaveys generally, but the VKs are just very average to poor sounding amps. If you want a Peavey that actually sounds more like a proper valve amp - and more importantly just sounds good - buy a Transtube Bandit :).
    Unfortunately as much as I like Peavey, the VK range is cheap and nasty, you are better off with a Bandit by far. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    While the Laney Cub is a great little amp the Blackstar S145 is a much better buy IMO, the prices you can pick them up second hand for they are a bargain.  Gigged one for years
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6137
    tFB Trader
    The Orange Rocker 15 has been designed exactly for this setup. 15w -7w and then attenuator switch to take it down to 1W 1/2W I have one exactly for this reason. 2 channel too.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited April 2017
    John_A said:
    While the Laney Cub is a great little amp the Blackstar S145 is a much better buy IMO, the prices you can pick them up second hand for they are a bargain.  Gigged one for years
    The S145 is a 45w valve 2x12 (with Vintage 30's) that costs £1,100 new or (from what I can find) circa £5-700 used so its a full blown gigging amp albeit it has a power-selector that lets you go down to 4.5w.  All depends on what volume you need, size/weight considerations, & your budget of course. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Fender Super Reverb - is no mystery why so many top players have them in their backline since like for-ev-er... I never wanted such a big amp for home but has been the best amp for everything loud and quiet, rock, soul, blues, funk. Makes a real statement standing in the living room too...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've said this many times before, but I much prefer the sound of big amps at very low volume. Obviously you're not going to get any power-stage overdrive from any amp of more or less any power, so don't try - just enjoy the huge open tone and effortless depth that you get from a nice big power stage running at whisper volume, and if you want overdrive use a pedal/preamp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

57Deluxe said:
    Fender Super Reverb - is no mystery why so many top players have them in their backline since like for-ev-er... I never wanted such a big amp for home but has been the best amp for everything loud and quiet, rock, soul, blues, funk. Makes a real statement standing in the living room too...
    If I had that in the living room, I think my wife would be making a few choice statements of her own...!!soapboxinsane rantworry
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Get a decent attenuator and then your amp of choice. If I was doing it all again, that's what I would do.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Something that does good cleans then run a pedal in to it for the sound you want. That's what I use to do with my valve junior, that or run it flat out with an attenuator
  • ThorpyFX said:
    The Orange Rocker 15 has been designed exactly for this setup. 15w -7w and then attenuator switch to take it down to 1W 1/2W I have one exactly for this reason. 2 channel too.

Ooo how good is it? I *loved* the older 30 watt one, made in UK too! 

Apparently these are very similar to the old ones but with el84s and all the low power stuff, but it'd be good to hear your thoughts.