Android after IOS

What's Hot
DanRDanR Frets: 1041
What am I likely to dislike if I go back to Android.

My last time of cheating on IOS was back with a HTC One X about 5 years ago.

I remember getting frustrated that all the apps I used had a completely different UI and just finding it vaguely unresponsive.

But I'm in a sulk with Apple and the S8 is out next week and is catching my eye.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Getting bent over by apple to use their own software and hardware for every requirement in your life?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Well I just ordered an S8 so we shall see how it goes.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I made the move from apple to an s6 edge months ago, like you id previously stuck with apple because every alternatuve id tried was sluggish and just not as attractive. I dont regret ditching the iphone at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    I hated Apple so much I moved to Galaxy Note v1
    it pissed me off so much I've been with apple again since
    shit apps, memory so slow I couldn't effectively use the 64GB SD card to play music from (30 seconds refresh time for every view of albums stored), stopped working frequently due to lack of memory  -I found that was down to it writing error logs without ever limiting the size of logs or deleting the oldest, so I had to learn to boot to command-line to delete them
    Add that to having to pay £25 for a third part tool to sync names and phone numbers with outlook, and I gave up

I really hope it's improved now, because I think Apple are a big old evil Corp like any other
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Have you considered a Windows 'phone?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't mind iOS or Android for phone and messaging but iOS wins for everything else. Photography apps and imovie, music making apps, especially music making apps. 

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    edited April 2017
    I've had an on/off relationship with Android over the years but have always gone back to iPhone. After a period of time I would convince myself that I was bored of iOS so would jump ship. The last decent android phone I had was a Sony Xperia Z3 and I would sing its praises on this very forum. Great camera and it was nippy enough. However after a few months there was just something about Android which just didn't feel as smooth as iOS, almost clunky in use, so I sold it and went back to iPhone. I know Apple Corp. is the devil etc but it just works so well. I don't think I'll return to Android anytime soon. Saying that I have my iPhone set up for my needs and the way I like it and I'm not sure that everyone does that.
    CarpeDiem said:
    As much as I'd like to consider it, even if was just for Cortana I dont think they make premium handsets anymore.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited April 2017
    Android is light years ahead these days, it's a phenomenal bit if software.  I have been using android since before cupcake, a few months ago I decided to try an iPhone, so got a 6s, it was like going back to 2010, horrible the iPhone lasted 2 weeks before I went back to android, I wrote a thread on it a while back:
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/90365/ios-vs-android/p1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    You may find it unsettling that Android lets you put icons where you want, and doesn't insist that they're all left-justified.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Just picked up an S8. Had an S6 before. It's pretty good but I'm not a fan of the curved edge to edge screen. To my eyes it makes text at either side tricky to read. There again, I'm getting old.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    DanR said:
    CarpeDiem said:
    As much as I'd like to consider it, even if was just for Cortana I dont think they make premium handsets anymore.

I love my Windows 10 Phone. The UI us the best one I have used, and miles better than iOS. We have probably run out of patience with them at work though, so suspect we will be on Android soon... Probably cheap Android devices too... :(
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    I may be forced to give up my company iPhone for a windows phone as Micheal Dell (my boss) hates google and Apple.
    exocet said:
    Just picked up an S8. Had an S6 before. It's pretty good but I'm not a fan of the curved edge to edge screen. To my eyes it makes text at either side tricky to read. There again, I'm getting old.
    I really like the screen and despite being nearly two inches bigger screen wise it didn't feel much bigger than my normal 6S.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I have an S7 Edge and love it!

Might have to go check out the S8 this week.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

edited April 2017
    When i replace this s6 ill prob get an s8 but ill ditch the edge, while its pretty ive found its just not practical and has little to no use.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    ftumch said:
    When i replace this s6 ill prob get an s8 but ill ditch the edge, while its pretty ive found its just not practical and has little to no use.
    I don't think you'll have a choice. The S8 has the edge type screen. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    The S8 does look smart 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    DanR said:
    CarpeDiem said:
    I saw the 950 demo'd last year, running a monitor like a PC from a docking station
    I'm not sure what the latest news is
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPhone-7-Plus,Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL/phones/9816,9545

exocet said:
    ftumch said:
    I don't think you'll have a choice. The S8 has the edge type screen. 
    Oh i thought it had the two midels like the 6 and 7. I can live with it.