FX Pedals for solo jamming inspiration

LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
Hi guys,

I've got an amp and pedal set up that is very oriented around band-based hard rock:

Les Paul into:
Polytone Tuner
Mooer Yellow Comp Compressor
Klon-clone
into a Friedman Runt, then FX Loop:
MXR Phase 95
DM-2w Delay
Catalinbread Talisman Reverb

If I want to bang out some Whitesnake or Van Halen then I'm in heaven! But, when I'm a bit more chilled out and want to create ambient/droney scenescapes I'm a little lost.  I look at all the cool 'crazy' pedals out there from places like Earthquaker and some of them seem super fun, but yet others I can't believe they'd find a use.

Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking of a looper (maybe even a Trio+) but that seems more down the line of GUITAR BASED ROCK than anything else.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bitquest!, Hungry Robot The Wash, Neunaber Expanse, Whammy or other pitchshifter, any Chase Bliss modulation, erm...
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265

I was thinking of a looper (maybe even a Trio+) but that seems more down the line of GUITAR BASED ROCK than anything else.
    If you get a looper that has both backward/forwards and half-speed/normal-speed functionality (eg the old Line 6 DL4 or the newer dual switch DittoX2 from TC Electronic) you can get all manner of lush ambient textures purely by over-layering multiple guitar parts.

Have a read of this post of mine from an old thread (in fact, the rest of the thread will give you loads of suggestions for wacky pedals) ...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/775852/#Comment_775852

• Thanks both! Checking all suggestions.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The Wash really is wonderful for this kind of thing. I also like using the Count To 5 for a nice bed of ambient sound between songs, or sometimes in the songs themselves. Using a volume pedal to swell sounds in is the way to go, you get nice, seamless loops when you've got no pick attack to worry about.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited April 2017
    You can set a shortish delay time ~300ms, max the feedback on your delay, turn up the reverb and use your volume knob for ambient swells. More gear can help for ambient soundscapes but you've already got the basics.

The only other thing u really need is probably a looper. 

If you are unsure how to swell with your volume knob, check out some Jeff Beck videos. "cause we've ended as lovers" is a good one to learn from. 

• EHX Freeze?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I use a couple of delays and an echo pedal, then reverb into Trio and then a looper.

The Echo has a hold function that I can use as a wash which I record into the looper in whatever key I fancy playing in. Add the trio drum on a slow beat and away you go with your ambient lead lines / paired back chords. 

Can sound great if you're in the groove. 
  • @fuengi Trio or Trio+ ? It seems the latter gets all the love but it's bloody pricey. 

EHX Freeze?
    Maybe a shimmer verb rather than a freeze specifically? That way it can change pitch?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I picked up a mint Trio (standard) used for £50. Don't use shimmer, I find it too shrill personally.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    You could probably get some nice ambient/droney scenescapes using the Talisman and DM-2w. Throwing in the phaser would probably add some nice flavours as well.
  • Fuengi said:
    I picked up a mint Trio (standard) used for £50. Don't use shimmer, I find it too shrill personally.
    found a good deal on a Trio+ and given the rave reviews, figured it was worth a shot. Review shortly!