Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any opinions on Schecter guitars?

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
I'm interested in people's opinions on the current crop of Schecter guitars, whether they're good/ bad/ indifferent or whatever. 

On paper it has everything I want: twin HBs, binding, ebony fingerboard and is vaguely LP-esque. Short of taking a high-priced punt on a LP custom, this will cover the sort of musical ground I'm after. 

So I'm interested in what people have to say to see if it's worth me going over to my nearest GG shop to check it out. 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a crap one (C1 Classic, before I grew some taste) about 8 years ago, from all accounts that's out of the ordinary though and there are quite a few fans out there. That said, I've played a few on Denmark Street last year and still wasn't too impressed by the finish or setup on them. I'm also not into teh Br00talz though so maybe they're just not for me...? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I've played a few good ones, mostly they're on a par with mid-range LTDs etc. Not something for the 'taste' brigade, but not bad guitars. Like anything, go and try some out if you can. If you can't, there's always the DSRs...
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    I have a schecter Shaun Morgan Sig and it's a great Guitar.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Thanks.

I'll see if I can get out this weekend to give it a try.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I have a couple - a Stiletto Classic and a California Custom 30th Anniversary. Both are very well made guitars and the finishing on both is the best I've seen on a Korean guitar, definitely on a par with Japanese. Both guitars play really well and sound very good, although I'm not the biggest fan of the EMG's on the Stiletto, they lack a bit of character IMHO.

They're never going to compete with PRS, Suhr or Anderson but they're both good quality guitars that I could happily gig for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014

I have had 8 different Schecters through our place to give a really extended try out.  Of them I bought 5 and still own 4.

I've owned or still own -

1. Tempest Hellraiser - I bought this as I needed a guitar loaded with active EMGs for a project.  It's easy to play - similar to Les Paul Studio.  As with most Schecters for the price I think the build quality is great.  I then left it in a rehearsal space for times I couldn't be arsed to drag along my LP custom and as it certainly would have been less painful to lose.  Like with so many midrange guitars, I do honestly not think the Gibson is over a grand 'better'.  I have considered selling this at some points solely due to the fact I don't use it much but you know what it's like?!!! 
    2. C1 Classic 30th Anniversary - I bought this because it was the top of the range one, available for a good price and I thought it would make a good road guitar.  It was a dark grey so wasn't too blingy.  I thought it would make a versatile guitar that if it got bashed I would loose much sleep over.  In truth it was just so 'meh'.  Again, nothing wrong with the build quality and it had proper Seymour Duncans as opposed to Duncan Designed, but it was just so dull and lifeless.  Couldn't bond with it and felt it had little personality of expression so I sold it.
    3. PT Telecaster - Just a great guitar full stop.  I bought it off a city businessman who had bought it but found the neck too big for his wee hands so just wanted rid.  At the time he purchased it he had the pickups swapped for a Duncan '59 and a Custom Custom.  I purchased it for £142 and it came with the original SuperRock pickups which some American guy offered my £80 for which meant it cost me £62.  A solid gigging guitar for me.
    4. Ultra Classic - In truth my wife saw this before I did and fell in love with it and bought it for me.  That said I love it.  Yet again a really well made guitar very similar to an SG.  The pickup are SD '59 and Custom Custom.  Another solid gigging guitar for me that always gets attention for being different.
    5. Hellcat VI (6 String Bass) - I picked this up quite recently for £98 as it needed some work.  It all set up and ready to go but in truth I have not had much time to really put it through it paces.

Personally I think Schecters are both good guitars, apart from the C1 (IMO), and are good value for money.  They are a good platform for pickup upgrades.  That said, although their popularity is picking up I would be very reluctant to pay new prices unless I was 100% sure I was going to keep it for a long time as the depreciation on them seems massive when you look what they go for second hand.  No doubt in 20-30 years they'll be remembered more favourably like a lot of far east instrument gain respect over time.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited February 2014
    I haven't tried any recently, but i tried several maybe 5 years ago and I got the feeling that they were dear for what they were in the UK (as opposed to the USA where they were more reasonably priced). At the time, they didn't seem any better than the Washburn pro series which was half the price. In fact, I preferred the Washburns. And the prices have only got worse as time has gone on (though admittedly the prices on most guitar stuff has got worse over the same time period).
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 269
    edited February 2014

Hate them...

Lolz

To be fair, these are older models, the best out of the lot are the 006/007 models, and the A7 Elite got me started in the world of seven strings. Pre PRS-ownership, the 006 Deluxe (matte black) and the Omen 6 (blue) were my main gigging guitars, the 006 had surprisingly punchy pickups for the base model.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •   I actually tried this exact model, and loved it.  I ended up buying the Solo Special instead, because of the P100 in the neck- which just killed through the Classic 30 I was using.  It also had the normal Gibbo set up of individual volume and tone pots for each pickup.

This black Solo 6 is on my to buy list though!  You just can't beat it for the price.

I'm more leery of models with active EMG's, but that's mostly because I don't like active pickups in guitars.  They just sound so toneless and whiny...  I'm also not a metal player.

An added bonus- if You're a lefty, Schecter makes a lot of lefty guitars.
    1. C1 Classic 30th Anniversary - I bought this because it was the top of the range one, available for a good price and I thought it would make a good road guitar.  It was a dark grey so wasn't too blingy.  I thought it would make a versatile guitar that if it got bashed I would loose much sleep over.  In truth it was just so 'meh'.  Again, nothing wrong with the build quality and it had proper Seymour Duncans as opposed to Duncan Designed, but it was just so dull and lifeless.  Couldn't bond with it and felt it had little personality of expression so I sold it.
    Exactly the same as my experience with one!

Clearly @Monkeybone disagrees ;)
    1. C1 Classic 30th Anniversary - I bought this because it was the top of the range one, available for a good price and I thought it would make a good road guitar.  It was a dark grey so wasn't too blingy.  I thought it would make a versatile guitar that if it got bashed I would loose much sleep over.  In truth it was just so 'meh'.  Again, nothing wrong with the build quality and it had proper Seymour Duncans as opposed to Duncan Designed, but it was just so dull and lifeless.  Couldn't bond with it and felt it had little personality of expression so I sold it.
    Exactly the same as my experience with one!

Clearly @Monkeybone disagrees ;)
    To be honest, I haven't really played the C1 Classics all that much (my dad bought them because they looked pretty), but I do like the 006/007s.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    I liked the blackjack when it first came out as it was only about £340 which was an absolute bargain but now the're double that . If you spend £340 on a schecter now you pretty much get what you would expect to get for that money , not bad but no cigar . If your prepaired to spend +£700 I think schecter are still pretty good .
    Flown the nest .
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I always wanted one until I had a play. I really didn't like the necks. The set necks had a really sticky gloss and the bolt ons, while satin, had a weird clubby feel that I just didn't like. Personal taste though and your mileage may vary.
  • alanchanxdalanchanxd Frets: 64
    edited February 2014
    If you got the money, go for the Schecter Japan and I assure you that you will have your time of your life. The difference between Japan and Korean ones are night and day... the sound, the setup, the playability, the finish, the hardware quality, ohh and the list goes on...

I always have a bad experience with the Schecter Korean ones... they seem to be like a hit or miss.

http://www.schecter.co.jp/schecterjapan/index.html

• I've got a Schecter, but its a bit different to the rest of the range. I like it enough that soon it will be my only electric guitar...

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    Ive always wanted one of thos corsairs!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I hate schecters, for me they are always soulless and sterile. I've owned five or six of them and they were all very bland.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Never been impressed by any of the MIK ones. Often cool designs on paper, yet uninspiring in person. To me, they are guitars that are less than the sum of their parts, considering they often use 'high end' aftermarket parts on their instruments. I've always been underwhelmed.

Their American guitars are awesome, though. 
  • Interestingly, I very nearly got a Schecter when I got my LTD (made in the same factory I think, same as PRS SE guitars).  

The LTD Deluxe was just better though, despite having near identical spec (different pickups).  

Just goes to show what a difference wood and set up can make I guess.  
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    If you got the money, go for the Schecter Japan and I assure you that you will have your time of your life. The difference between Japan and Korean ones are night and day... the sound, the setup, the playability, the finish, the hardware quality, ohh and the list goes on...

I always have a bad experience with the Schecter Korean ones... they seem to be like a hit or miss.

http://www.schecter.co.jp/schecterjapan/index.html

I haven't tried them but I always thought the Japanese ones looked sweet (admittedly they're more the style I like than the Korean ones, too).