anyone use those classical guitar rests?

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488

this kind of thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005QKNUOW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_25?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2221IGQM7CHE4

wondering what opinions, thoughts etc there may be on this or other variations on the theme.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited April 2017
    A Yellow Pages or other type of thick book(s) always worked for me. Doesn't 'look' quite as nice though. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    well, I currently use a foot rest, but I find it uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time, that slight weird tilt it puts on the hips. I've seen several people on youtube using them, so was wondering if anyone here does.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    I've used an ErgoPlay in the past, the Troster model. They do help maintain a good posture and are better for the back, however they have limitations. It takes a bit of time to get the guitar in the correct position, so then you are loathe to remove it from the guitar when you have finished. Also, if you are used to playing in different rooms with different height chairs then you will find that lower chairs are not conducive to getting the correct position. So, it's okay if you have a set procedure for practicing but it's not very flexible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thanks biglicks, I do pretty much play on one chair (I rarely play the classical out of the house, it's) so I'll bear that in mind.

edited April 2017
    VimFuego said:
    thanks biglicks, I do pretty much play on one chair (I rarely play the classical out of the house, it's) so I'll bear that in mind.
    If I was getting another I'd go for the Gitano, it looks simple to use and is portable.

Alternatively you could use this guy's method, he is holding the guitar in place just by pressure from his right arm.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I used to use a footstool for the Gypsy Swing gigs, but with foot tapping and all I wrecked two before I went back to poor posture.  I tend to put one foot on top of the other these days when I want the guitar "up".
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I'm not saying I've wrecked two footstools by standing up and forgetting to take my foot off, but I may have.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    If I was getting another I'd go for the Gitano, it looks simple to use and is portable.

Alternatively you could use this guy's method, he is holding the guitar in place just by pressure from his right arm.

like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gitano-Gewa-Gitarrenstütze/dp/B003VND3YI/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1493107256&sr=1-1&keywords=gitano+guitar+support ?

VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:

like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gitano-Gewa-Gitarrenstütze/dp/B003VND3YI/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1493107256&sr=1-1&keywords=gitano+guitar+support ?
    Yep, they seem less of a faff than the ergoplay ones.
    coolio, thx for the advice.

• VimFuego said:
    I'm not saying I've wrecked two footstools by standing up and forgetting to take my foot off, but I may have.
    Metal or wood?

I bent a metal one by doing this but the wooden one I have now is much more sturdy
    metal. fortunately the 2nd one bent into a position where it stays open, so still usable at home but no good if I want to use it out as I can't fold it flat.

• I've got one of those Ergoplay rests...used it on a guitar with a robust finish...found that it was a pretty sturdy and adjustable solution.

When I got a new guitar, it had a shellac finish so I didn't fancy using the suction cups of the Ergoplay: I found a 'cushion' made by Dynarette...I like it but it's a little less secure...and, if you move, things can get a bit squeaky ;)

Both devices let you keep both feet on the floor which seems to be better for you.

If you're interested in the Ergoplay, I'll send it to you for £15...let me know.
  • VimFuego said:
    metal. fortunately the 2nd one bent into a position where it stays open, so still usable at home but no good if I want to use it out as I can't fold it flat.
    Yeah they're pants IMO.  Get a wooden one.  I think this is the one I have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Well-crafted-Footstool-Adjustable-Positions-Classical/dp/B01DK8CX4O/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1493210659&sr=8-16&keywords=guitar+footstool

VimFuego said:
    Yeah they're pants IMO.  Get a wooden one.  I think this is the one I have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Well-crafted-Footstool-Adjustable-Positions-Classical/dp/B01DK8CX4O/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1493210659&sr=8-16&keywords=guitar+footstool

I've got one these it's a lot more durable than the typical metal stand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HERCULES-STANDS-FS100B-Hercules-Guitar/dp/B00724YJN6/ref=pd_sbs_421_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=93XK8NSJY29EQY944TS9
    /\ /\ yup, that's the 2nd one I managed to wreck (I am larger than the average bear) but at least wrecked it in the open position.