Looking to get a clean, inexpensive amp for home use and recording

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
I've currently got a Jet City 50w head, through a Jettenuator, into a 2 x 12 cab. I love the dirt it gives, but I really play much more clean these days and use pedals for dirt. I'm after a clean head that takes pedals well, doesn't need to be loud as I don't gig and I can't see me suddenly starting.

What I do want to use it for is recording into my iPad through a Focusrite iTrack Solo, so it needs to have an emulated out of some sort, XLR or 1/4 inch jack. Aux in and headphone socket would be nice too. Totally ok with solid state as long as it sounds the part with a Rat and a klone.

Budget is quite tight, I'd be looking to fund it by selling the Jet City amp and Jettenuator plus a few pedals. I can probs chuck a bit of cash in there too, so maybe £200-£250 all in?

Any suggestions from you knowledgeable people? 

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Boss Katana or a Line 6 Spider V.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're lucky you might find a Laney lc50, lc15 or vc30... They often go cheap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • manimani Frets: 10
    Take a look at the Trademark 60, perfect for recording - it has a sansamp xlr out for & 1/4 headphone socket, superb cleans, it's a combo though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Hmmm, just watching the Anderton's vids for the Katana and Spider V. I think it'll be one of those two, I'd rather go new with this than second hand.

There's a lot that appeals with both of them, but I think the 30w Spider is just edging it for me. Seems perfect for what I need it for. Cheers people!

Actually, it'll be the Boss. The Spider won't work with my iPad and I'd have to record through the 1/8 inch headphone jack. The Boss suits my set up better, I think.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Boss Katana is a superb amp for the money and for a solid state full stop :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1632

Seems to me Hobbio that you have everything except an 'emulator'? Can I suggest an HT-Dual pedal? This could take the line output of the Jettenuator and deliver an emulated output for recording. You might EVEN find guitar just into Dual and Emm'ed out suits your needs?

Dave.

• MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    You may also want to check out the Fender Mustang head - it's got USB and stereo XLR out and sounds very good if you're after the classic Fender clean tones.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    A Trace Elliot combo; a used one will leave you money to buy a couple more pedals!
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Yamaha THR10C.....just great
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    JonHosker said:
    Yamaha THR10C.....just great
    I made a very similar thread a few weeks ago, and choice was coming down to this or the boss kat 50,

went with the boss and so far so good ! 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Why do you need emulated output if you have the jettenuator?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Thanks for the great suggestions people, I'm really keen on the Katana 50 or maybe even the 100 1x12 for the fx loop if I can stretch to it. I'll nip out on Friday to try one out before I buy it. @tony99 do you miss the loop on the 50? I use a lot of effects, like a Zoom CDR and a Trelicopter that I'm not sure the onboard fx will cover so they'd have to go in the front end.

Why do you need emulated output if you have the jettenuator?
    The XLR mic sim sounds horrible, nothing like the sound coming out of the speaker, and the line out needs a cab sim that I don't have available on my iPad GarageBand. Besides, the amp itself isn't really clean enough for what I want to do. 

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    hobbio said:
    Thanks for the great suggestions people, I'm really keen on the Katana 50 or maybe even the 100 1x12 for the fx loop if I can stretch to it. I'll nip out on Friday to try one out before I buy it. @tony99 do you miss the loop on the 50? I use a lot of effects, like a Zoom CDR and a Trelicopter that I'm not sure the onboard fx will cover so they'd have to go in the front end.
    TBH honest with you mate, I don't miss it because I never had one. From the advice I've had on here though it seems pretty much like it's something you will need if you're looking to get the full experience from one of these Katanas. Myself I only really wanted a better amp than I had previously, plus some effects, and for me it's fine.

To put it in context though, when I went to get my Kat 50, there was a guy bringing a 50 back into the shop to exchange for a 100 for the very reason of the FX loop.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    hobbio said:
    Actually, it'll be the Boss. The Spider won't work with my iPad and I'd have to record through the 1/8 inch headphone jack. The Boss suits my set up better, I think.
    Really? 
    I don't understand that. The spider works into iOS via USB as far as I can see (2:20 in )

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    til you get sorted - have you tried any of the ios apps - amplitube etc 
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    If you want one for recording and takes pedals well, check out the little palmer Eins - (mine happens to be for sale - sorry shocking self promotion) but even new they are a bargain.
    Cabicular said:
    hobbio said:
    Really? 
    I don't understand that. The spider works into iOS via USB as far as I can see (2:20 in )

It only works with the lightning connection iPads according to the specs I've seen. 

Right, just got the Katana home after trying it out in the shop. I went for the 100w 1x12 because a) it has the fx loop and b) it was the only one they had in. I'm just going to get it set up now, and then play it for a few hours.