First re-spray/build - La Concha Rosa

What's Hot
scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
edited April 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi. I've just finished (possibly) re-doing a mex strat in shell pink (hence the name).
Anyway, having gone from trying to do a new looking finish I decided to experiment with an aged look then beat it up by playing the hell out of it. I stuck it in the freezer and introduced some belt buckle rash (making the best of buggering up the paint when I overdid it with a heat gun after the freezer)The weird thing is I cant decide whether I like it like this or whether it looks like a total dogs dinner. It does sound lovely though now with an orange cap and CTS pots.
So, I thought I'd chuck it up here, whadaya reckon,...?

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Looks great to me ! :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28181
    Not sure about the little bit on the belly carve edge, but apart from that it looks like a well loved guitar, so I'd say pretty darned successful. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited April 2017
    Sporky said:
    Not sure about the little bit on the belly carve edge, but apart from that it looks like a well loved guitar, so I'd say pretty darned successful.
    Agreed - I'm not a sander relic fan - try flaking the edges a bit.  Still love it overall though.

Look at this one - the flaked bits look far better than the sanded bits (yes - it's totally excessive all over ! )

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Thanks chaps! Very kind of you.
    I think youre right Sporky about the belly carve bit. I'll do a bit of touch up there I think. Then on to my other one which will be a Burgandy Mist JV strat - NOS style.
    I love the colour of the headstock on the blue one! But I agree, I think that one is overdone. I dont get how or why teh paint would be lost from the top horn.Will definitely spray over the sanded bit in mine then its going back in the freezer! I always wanted a shell pink one with matching headstock!
    cheers
    WIll
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28181
    scalino65 said:

I think youre right Sporky about the belly carve bit. I'll do a bit of touch up there I think. 
    I don't think it spoils it or really matters that much - just my personal taste. I like my guitars to look as shiny and new as possible! But the overall job you've done is very convincing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    You can see hundreds of terrible relic jobs on ebay any day of the week, but that looks pretty good to me. Looks well-worn rather than having random areas of paint completely removed.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Just +1 on the above comments and no one else will see the belly carve anyway.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    haha..they wont see it with my great gut hanging over it, thats for sure! :)
    Thanks again for your thoughts
    cheers
    Will
  • I think that looks pretty damn nice - perhaps because you've made it look "aged" rather than just "knackered". I really like the headstock - would like to see a shot of the whole guitar so you can see the headstock and body together.

Am I right in thinking you sprayed tinted clear on it and then sanded to get the aged look to the paint?
    I think that looks pretty damn nice - perhaps because you've made it look "aged" rather than just "knackered". I really like the headstock - would like to see a shot of the whole guitar so you can see the headstock and body together.

Am I right in thinking you sprayed tinted clear on it and then sanded to get the aged look to the paint?
    Hi, yes, thats right I aged the whole body with Manchester guitar Tech's light tint laquer then buffed through on places where I figured a well used gtr would have the wear on it.
    Here's pic of teh whole thing!

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7861
    Love it, except for belly cut wear, and pickguard looking overly processed...
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Agreed. 

Put a parchment guard on it. 

I don't mind the belly cut wear, looks fun. 
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    scalino65 said:
    I think that looks pretty damn nice - perhaps because you've made it look "aged" rather than just "knackered". I really like the headstock - would like to see a shot of the whole guitar so you can see the headstock and body together.

Hi, yes, thats right I aged the whole body with Manchester guitar Tech's light tint laquer then buffed through on places where I figured a well used gtr would have the wear on it.
    Here's pic of teh whole thing!

Looks Ace! I'm half way through a surf green tele relic - you make me wonder about going for a colour matched headstock!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I think it looks fantastic. Good work.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Awesome.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Thought I should update this following some more checking,etc. What do you reckon?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom