Whiskey Cream Overdrive

What's Hot
Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
edited April 2017 in Making & Modding
I have just joined so thought a good way to get things rolling would be to post my overdrive pedal that I designed and built from scratch. I was going to call it The Cream Cheeser, but that seemed just too silly, even for a pedal. I designed it to really open up the full range of the volume and treble pots on the guitar. Seems to work well as a slightly dirty boost to overdrive the amp or as a distortion / overdrive effect. Overall well happy with it unlike my last circuit design that turned out to be a complete turdscreamer.

All built in my bedroom with just standard hand tools.

Anyone else into designing pedal circuits??

Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited April 2017
    no need for the code - just post the link in the attach image/file box above the text editor

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    Ah Cheers, Got it.
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Welcome to the fretboard @Paul_L That looks excellent is that an etched faceplate? What's the circuit based on and do you have anymore pics?  As they say no guts no glory :-)

The only thing I don't like is the white washer on your 3pdt but for me thats true of any pedal that uses them.  I can't stand the buggers I think they cheapen any pedal they're on.  
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    That is one sweet looking pedal. I hope it sounds as good as it looks :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3858
    How does it compare to a D&M drive?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    If HG Wells made guitar pedals... at other angles, it looks like a very expensive box of chocolates. Either way, it's got a unique look which I like. Also good to see someone experimenting with circuits and not repackaging a tubescreamer.

What does the second LED do? I'll guess it glows as the signal is clipped.
    Thanks,

Here's one of the guts - so can I have my glory now please?

The circuit is not based on anything really. I did look at various overdrive circuits to get a feel for how they are done and then designed my own.

People that have tried it say it sounds really good. I have a little Vox AC4 amp and it works well with that but it seems to play with other larger amps as well.
    The second LED comes on when the foot switch is activated, the top LED just shows that the box has power. Its best not to have the circuit power on the same time the the pedal is switched into the signal chain as it can cause power on thumps through the amp. Someone asked about the faceplate. Its actually a rag inkjet photo paper thats been lacquered. The lacquer really gets soaked in and gives a nice durable finish, although I should have maybe added a few more coats for good measure.

Box of chocolates - that's like life I suppose...

• Paul_L said:
    The second LED comes on when the foot switch is activated, the top LED just shows that the box has power. Its best not to have the circuit power on the same time the the pedal is switched into the signal chain as it can cause power on thumps through the amp. Someone asked about the faceplate. Its actually a rag inkjet photo paper thats been lacquered. The lacquer really gets soaked in and gives a nice durable finish, although I should have maybe added a few more coats for good measure.

Box of chocolates - that's like life I suppose...

Shame to hear it pops loudly, but it looks ace! You might reduce popping using millennium bypass or a buffered bypass system. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Paul_L said:
    Thanks,

Here's one of the guts - so can I have my glory now please?

The circuit is not based on anything really. I did look at various overdrive circuits to get a feel for how they are done and then designed my own.

People that have tried it say it sounds really good. I have a little Vox AC4 amp and it works well with that but it seems to play with other larger amps as well.
    Looks awesome really great job.
    Hey cheers. It doesnt pop thats been fixed by keeping the circuit powered, and a few other bits and pieces. Suppose I should record it at some point. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Looks klone inspired, all that space must add loads of air to the tone :)
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Good job. You have a beautiful mind.