'Cool' snobbery (rant)

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2554
It really gets on my tits. I experience it on Facebook but also on other platforms. Those people who are so elite that they cannot commit themselves to admitting they like anything that isn't 'cool'. By 'cool' I mean obscure, rare, and only listened to by the chosen few. I like what I like because my ears work in that way. If I post something mainstream it's because I like it. I don't need to be told why it's not 'cool'. I have close friends like this and I have to justify the music I post on my FB account because of their views.  Overall, it gives me the right arse.

Anyone else?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2017
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Posting music on Facebook is the social media equivalent of singing along to music with headphones on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Hipsters?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Posers like you're describing suck, but even worse are the people who only like things because they think it sucks, thinking that liking shit things makes them edgy or different instead of just another degree of POSER.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    rant on crux.
    Got one (in the family) - oh dear it's hard work being in his company and trying to not cause a family rift because of this prick.
    e.g. he had a job in banking IT 75k a year and he goes on anti capitalist demonstrations and his politics HAVE to be so RAdiCAL you cant have a conversation with him - I've tried and he just dismisses what you have to say.
    He had some music lessons when he was young and actis like a misunderstood and undescoverd musical genius, niw in his mid 40's.
    Oh god I could fill a book on this one - one example of how ridiculous he is -
    His wife and kid got a call saying to go to the hospital as he'd been taken there by an ambulance as an emergency from a recording session, he insisted he was in great pain and felt like he was going to die - they gave him the works - he said he had am MRI 'scan' but couldn't describe what the procedure was like !. Turned out he had constipation - put his wife and the emergency services through all that - I'd have charged him for it.
    Oh and he dresses like outa a charity shop - cause that's 'cool', though he has a thoroughly middle class lifestyle.
    Mention music and he launches into a rant about obscure bands and albums.
    Last thing - he plays violin - scales confusing that for music - and they're outa tune,
    stop
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Why do feel you need to justify yourself.

Just sack off Facebook it's just a time sink that makes you feel miserable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Why do feel you need to justify yourself.

Just sack off Facebook it's just a time sink that makes you feel miserable.

This is, by far, the best advice I ever followed. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    cruxiform said:
    It really gets on my tits. I experience it on Facebook but also on other platforms. Those people who are so elite that they cannot commit themselves to admitting they like anything that isn't 'cool'. By 'cool' I mean obscure, rare, and only listened to by the chosen few. I like what I like because my ears work in that way. If I post something mainstream it's because I like it. I don't need to be told why it's not 'cool'. I have close friends like this and I have to justify the music I post on my FB account because of their views.  Overall, it gives me the right arse.

Anyone else?

there were many like this in the 80s, and I'm sure in the 70s and 60s
    It's just that it's on FB now, same old routine though:
    anyone successful has "sold out"
    anything new and unpopular is cool

Fortunately, being a musician can be a vaccine against this  
  • Selling out means so little these days - you can't sell something people don't buy. A depressing thought...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I'm 34 & I've never used Facebook & am not one bit tempted to sign up.  Same with Instagram/twitter etc.

Trend followers are of no interest to me. I buy what I like & do what I want because it appeals to me.  But perhaps me not being on these social networks means I'm not trying to live my life & thinking how to get more 'points' 'views' & 'friends'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    I'm not sure, but I may be the forum's biggest mainstream commercial pop music fan :).

I also like other stuff, but I have no shame or 'guilty pleasure' in liking a lot of extremely uncool middle-of-the-road generic manufactured music too - I just like it. I see no reason not to, since it doesn't mean I can't also enjoy much more interesting and esoteric things as well.

I also don't do Facebook and never will.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    try being a prog rock fan.. like lil' ol' me…
    when it comes to the cool wall, you'll find yourself inside the nuclear furnace of a stellar core… lmao

so… cool = everything else..

and so fkn what… lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I'm a folky and I like morris dancing. I'm so uncool I'm almost hip.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Mention Facebook and out come all the people too cool to use it
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    I laugh in the face of coolness and mock the weak-minded sheep who eat, drink, think, wear, watch, VOTE and listen to what they are told is 'cool' and have no independence of thought to make their own decisions - about anything.

They should all be sh....  fuck...

..er.....  shamed publicly.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    holnrew said:
    Mention Facebook and out come all the people too cool to use it
    Or too uncool to use it...

Actually nothing about coolness, I just don't want to put my life online, and I'm deeply suspicious/paranoid about Facebook as a company.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I love Taylor Swift, bite me lol in fact, I started listen to her music before most people even heard of her name in these shores. It's 

i am of the opinion that if you love something then you should have the courage of conviction to openly admit it, there is no shame in it.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    As my name suggests, theres nothing cool about me or my tastes, I donf care what other peopke like or consider cool I like what  I like,prog, drum and bass, guild pointy jacksons etc  , give me an old yes album, pair of jeans flares (usually womens as they can still get em) and a redcord player and I'm home,... 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Aren't most people who post YouTube videos on Facebook normally drunk when they do so? Just saying.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28184
    I dislike the implication that if you don't like something it's not actually that you dislike it, but that you're weak-willed and trying to impress people you've never met.

I disliked things when disliking things was underground.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom