Outdoor gigs. What size of generator?

hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
We are a 5 piece with reasonably comprehensive PA (A&H powered mixer plus QSC RMX for the subs, 2 powered monitors)

Would probably mic drums. Both guitarists using valve amps and pedals. Bass player big solid state amp

So roughly what sort of size genny would be necessary to make sure we dont get a brown out when we hit the first chord of Can't Get Enough?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Add up the power requirements listed on the back of every amp (not the output power), then double it - that'd be a fairly safe approach.
    <space for hire>
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Add up the power requirements listed on the back of every amp (not the output power), then double it - that'd be a fairly safe approach.

Bit of a challenge though!. Could take me while rounding up everyones kit. Just wondered whether anyone has had experience to share.

We cant be that unusual in our collective power requirements. We like to play loud but my amp is only a 50watter, t'other guitarist has an 18watter, bass player, not sure, but you can bet it'll be 300watts, PA is 500w per side plus 700w per side for subs, Then theres 3 foldbacks (1 passive so thats 2 really), and various bits of low power kit like, 3 pedal boards, vocalists TC Voicelive thingy, PA stuff like crossover, feedback suppressor, drum mixer, compressor.

• I assume your going to hire in the generator from a reputable hire company and not thinking of buying one. 15 KVA is about the size I would want and ensure proper earth bonding for the generator and any stage you may be on
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Ditto the 15 kVA thing. Music is not a constant draw and the subs will be doing a lot of pulse current draw (probably the biggest current element in your setup) so the gen must be capable of absorbing that without meltdown. Don't forget lights if applicable for current draw and in answer to anyone else plugging into your power source (burger vans and kiddies rides) the answer is absolutely NO!

A proper hired in Genny will be adequate, quite(ish) more reliable and simple to use, everything else will likely be a compromise and dodgy too.

I have a little petrol genny I use for voice only type PA at events but otherwise Bigger really is better.
    Thanks chaps, will do some research...
    Not bad, £150 ish for a weekend. Thought it would be more.
  • Plus diesel!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Doesn't it have to be a voltage stabilised Genny for this sort of thing?  And a nice ground stake would be handy, so you don't kill yourselves. ;)