5E3 Coupling caps - outside foil orientation

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Gents,

I've just swapped the coupling caps in my 5E3 clone and the Red Jupiters I've installed are marked with the outside foil orientation.

In 3 cases, the caps are connected to the plate of the previous valve and so I've connected that end of the cap to the outside foil

In the 4th case, it's connected to the cathode and then on to the 6v6

So my question is whether I should connect the outside foil in the same orinetation as the other 3 or to the 6V6 end?

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah232/SunDevilarker/Easter 2017/5E3_zpsfelw3slh.jpg
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah232/SunDevilarker/Easter 2017/Jupirier Red caps_zpsqgcatu2l.jpg
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Foil side goes to earth.....but to be honest I'm pretty sure we're entering into "cork sniffing" territory so I wouldn't worry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Yeah - been reading up on the Aiken site and I suspect these are marked for the foil side for effect (in the same way as they are marked for 400v rating when they are in fact 600v)

Aiken talks about coupling caps foil being linked to the valve plate and to the cathode for bypass caps

In this instance as part of the PI, this cap is connected cathode of the PI valve to the plate for the 6V6
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    exocet said:
    Foil side goes to earth.....but to be honest I'm pretty sure we're entering into "cork sniffing" territory so I wouldn't worry.
    No, foil side goes to the end with the lower impedance, if you're trying to minimise noise - which is not necessarily the ground end, in fact it's more commonly the HT end for coupling caps, as SunDevil has done.

The cathode to power valve one is the same - so the foil should be at the 12AX7 cathode end.

If it makes any difference at all, that is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks @ICBM - no noise at all at playing volumes, but I'll likely swap it due to OCD as much as anything else
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    The PI in a 5E3 is a concertina style.

This has very low output impedance when not driven into clipping, so the outside foil should be connected to the PI end for both the plate driven and cathode driven sides.

The outside foil is not always correctly labelled in my experience, but can be identified using a oscillascope.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    There's a clip somewhere on YouTube that shows how to determine the "outside Foil" end.
    Thanks Gents - I've no scope, but at playing volumes, it's not noisy, but I'll try it both ways around and see what difference it makes.

Whether it's subjective or not, I ..er subjectively can't say, but I'm enjoying the tone a lot better with the Jupiters than I was with the Mallorys