New Strap/s

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I'm looking to buy some new straps.

I fancy the look of levy's leather and suede ones, Im looking for something with a bit of padding.

Any particular recommendations? they seem to do loads of types.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I use hypnotic straps - so far I've been impressed with the quality - nice and thick compared to other brands I've tried, not sure about really padded though.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Ta @John_P, they look comparable on price. I thought I'd try a padded one cos my recent cheapo ones have been a bit tough on my old chassis.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

ROOG said:
    Ta @John_P, they look comparable on price. I thought I'd try a padded one cos my recent cheapo ones have been a bit tough on my old chassis.
    No probs - I've got 3 from them - two are very thick - they look like they are double thicknesses and as a bonus have dragons, my 3rd one is single thickness but mega wide so that takes the weight of the les paul nicely.

Another thought is Corvo, I'm not sure any of their designs work for me but they look great quality and have a sale at the moment - 35% off is you use the code -  febdisc.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Levy's are good.  If you get a decent leather one then they last a very long time.  All of mine are still going.

The wider ones definitely make a difference.
  • John_P said:
    Another thought is Corvo, I'm not sure any of their designs work for me but they look great quality and have a sale at the moment - 35% off is you use the code -  febdisc.
    Not so much a "sale" as stock clearance. Corvo is going out of business.
    Cheers, I'm looking for a simple design, I shall have a look. Shame our local shop doesn't seem to stock quality straps.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You can buy 1/4" thick treated hide on Ebay.    I use that as a 1 1/2" strip.  It's hardcore.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2480
    I use a Levys 3" nylon one most of the time, cheap on ebay. I find that at that width I don't notice the weight of my strat much (it's a bit of a boat anchor). Plus I seem to prefer nylon to leather (kinky?), I find I move the guitar around quite a bit and leather straps tend to bind. I've stopped doing the "over the shoulder throw" though since I cut my hair (about '91 I think) :)
    Is it just me who doesn't like leather straps? I secretly quite like 2 point trems as well (I can hear the cries of "burn him"...).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    By far the comfiest I have used are the Mono and the Gibson Fatboy
    Red ones are better. 
    Cheers thanks for the ideas chaps, I was tempted by the gibson, bit pricey though.

• Quite pleased with the as new Levys I bought off here which has some padding. Downsides are the adjustable bit can stick in my fat sides and it is very slippy on some items of clothing. Very tempted by the Fatboy though, if someone made one without the G logo and sold it for half the price they might have a market beater.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ROOG said:  Cheers thanks for the ideas chaps, I was tempted by the gibson, bit pricey though.
    Just for the record, some of the most expensive things I have bought have been the cheapest.

You know the things, it broke too soon, was a bit crap so it didn't get used, bought another cheap one to replace it to see what that was like (and the same events repeated).

Funnily enough the things where I bought the right thing which was good quality*, might have hurt the pocket (or the card) a bit at first, but that is surprisingly soon forgotten, and you just keep on using it year after year.  Obviously you have to make a value judgement to suit yourself.

But cheap things are often not cheap, and very expensive things* can be surprisingly good value, (even if you can't afford them).

Quite so @ChrisMusic, I'm fairly 'light' on gear so wear an tear won't be an issue but I agree with buy right buy once. I don't like my cheap straps, lesson learned. I had a similar argument with mrs Roog re es339 last year, epi vs gibson, I lost!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I have a levys mss1 which I'm very happy with. In fact I now have two.
    I've had them for ages and they are still as good as new.

Also the standard length one is perfect for me in its longest setting.

If you like your guitar slung down by your knees you might want the long one.
    Thanks chaps, I like my guitar high, I'm hoping that this look might come back in fashion. I couldn't make up my mind so I've gone for a Levy's DM1PD 2.5" padded and M17 EMU.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Bear

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've been using one of these for a few months, and it's excellent.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11953

I like suede ones. I tend to buy Levys now.

I had some PRS suede ones cheap once

Just recently tried a cheap cotton strap, planet waves I think - pretty comfy

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am using the Planet Waves locking straps.
    Will probably try one of the (similar) Lock-it straps but for some reason they are branded Eagle Mountain in the Uk and we don't get the full range.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    edited February 2014
    This guy made me a couple of straps a few years ago. I specified the length, one for my ideal Strat length and the other a tad longer for a Les Paul. He made them with just a single thick piece of leather each, with tooling as required, plus a couple of extra strap button holes at the bottom ends. I'm that sad that I got him to make one of them as a replica of one of Gilmour's straps from the 70s that's pictured in the Black Strat book - it turned out really well though, a superb sturdy yet soft and comfortable strap. His prices seem to have gone up a bit since I bought mine.

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/