JHS & That pedal show

What's Hot

Comments

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I really don't get the whole pedal tribes anti JHS.

i have owned very few pedals over the years preferring a little good rack mount stuff back in the day and plugins these days.

in fact I find it highly ridiculous from a business perspective that said boutique pedal maker makes this weeks ultimate must have pedal gets masses of interest and potential sales but still stubbornly mugs people off with a stupid waiting list and insists only he can build it. In any other world you would be seen as a mug punter for queuing up for the emperors new clothes.

From the little i have read he built some circuits that other people designed and put them into the market so there was no bullshit unobtainable crap. As for ripping off , the whole industry has been ripping off each other's circuits since the fuzzbox.

As for his religious views and being linked to a right wing church that is anti gay. Is it really relevant other than to internet trolls. 

Would those comments have come up if he had been of Muslim faith doubtful.  In today's world of Internet political correctness gone mad and mob mentality you can't have an opinion if it offends.

As you age you quickly realise that there are good and bad people and those two types are not limited to any religious, Gender or sexual preference.

The fact that the pedal show did not pander to the hate mob and he felt no need to say more than he already has would seem a good way in my mind let the pedals do the talking.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901

Would those comments have come up if he had been of Muslim faith doubtful.  In today's world of Internet political correctness gone mad and mob mentality you can't have an opinion if it offends.

Tripe. Utter tripe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    As for his religious views and being linked to a right wing church that is anti gay. Is it really relevant other than to internet trolls. 

I can't work out if you're being serious or not.

If you are being serious then yes it is hugely relevant.

To not say something gives bigots a pass.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The bigger issue is that the JHS pedals I've had have been poorly made and unoriginal. For that reason alone he doesn't get my money anymore.

I don't get the appeal. Plenty of better pedals than his for less.
    That is the real point here. I've only ever owned one, it sounded good but the build was very average for the price so haven't been back since.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Wow, they've been busy in the comments section of the video. All glowing praise (ironically), seems strange then that yesterday it was far from that.

Love how the internet works sometimes. It's like history, it just gets distorted way faster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I really don't get the whole pedal tribes anti JHS.

i have owned very few pedals over the years preferring a little good rack mount stuff back in the day and plugins these days.

in fact I find it highly ridiculous from a business perspective that said boutique pedal maker makes this weeks ultimate must have pedal gets masses of interest and potential sales but still stubbornly mugs people off with a stupid waiting list and insists only he can build it. In any other world you would be seen as a mug punter for queuing up for the emperors new clothes.

From the little i have read he built some circuits that other people designed and put them into the market so there was no bullshit unobtainable crap. As for ripping off , the whole industry has been ripping off each other's circuits since the fuzzbox.

As you age you quickly realise that there are good and bad people and those two types are not limited to any religious, Gender or sexual preference.

The fact that the pedal show did not pander to the hate mob and he felt no need to say more than he already has would seem a good way in my mind let the pedals do the talking.

Yes, it's disgraceful the way people are misunderstood and misrepresented.
    After all, Hitler was an animal lover and vegetarian so he wasn't all bad and I'm sure that if he'd made pedals they'd have been really great.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

After my recent chorus tribulations I do fancy the JHS VCR but as it's £260 wether I have ethical objections or not is a bit academic. 
    If you like the sounds of it then buy it.

The Joey Landreth one is great, I'd never heard of him before and he does have good tone.  Dan is absolutely hilarious!!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I like how quickly they managed to top the shoegaze episode. The next one will just be the Vertex guy showing you how to paint over Mooer pedals.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    VJIves said:
    I like how quickly they managed to top the shoegaze episode. The next one will just be the Vertex guy showing you how to paint over Mooer pedals.
    It's entirely possible it will be, just look at TPS's current YT stats.   I'd say these "controversial" videos are making them a few extra quid.    
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 376
    I read all of the JHS stuff and it makes me really really dislike them, the pedal copying and the antigay stuff. 

But then I actually really like the look of the pedals! And I'm trying not to.

I have a Princeton 68 which I love, I'm looking to get a marshall in a box pedal for it. The Angry Charlie v3 seems to be one of the best pedals out there for this because of its mid control (full eq) and seems to get a lot of good feedback! I read about it being a crunch box and I'm like, ok! I'll go get a crunch box, but then i look at the crunch box and it doesn't have the controls I'd like!

Now the milkman pedal in the demo also looks really cool, a delay that's just for slapback and the nice boost, that's a useful pedal if you want an uncomplicated pedal for those two things! I know you could easily just buy a boost and a delay but that combo is appealing to me for its simplicity. 

Hah so I'm torn what to think, i'm sure I'd really love and angry charlie v3 and a milkman! I feel bad. 

Quite aside from the religious cult stuff which seems a bit murky as to whether he's still part of it, literally copying the madbean layouts for his early pedals is not just seriously uncool its actually one of the only things in circuit design which is actually legally dubious. It's far worse than your average "take a circuit and tweak it" pedal stuff. 

So, given that there are essentially infinite numbers of pedal companies these days I'll take my business elsewhere, thank you very much. 

TPS are quickly going down in my estimation. The shoegaze episode was insulting and the JHS one shows a distinct lack of research at best. In their responses to the negative comments underneath they were like "oh, we didn't really know about that...". Five minutes with Google researching their guest would have thrown up a few issues that TPS might have wanted to familiarise themselves with first. So they either didn't bother researching their guest which is just lazy and unprofessional (a bit like the shoegaze episode then) or they did and decided to gloss over it and plead ignorance which is also uncool. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I read all of the JHS stuff and it makes me really really dislike them, the pedal copying and the antigay stuff. 

I have a Princeton 68 which I love, I'm looking to get a marshall in a box pedal for it. The Angry Charlie v3 seems to be one of the best pedals out there for this because of its mid control (full eq) and seems to get a lot of good feedback! I read about it being a crunch box and I'm like, ok! I'll go get a crunch box, but then i look at the crunch box and it doesn't have the controls I'd like!

Now the milkman pedal in the demo also looks really cool, a delay that's just for slapback and the nice boost, that's a useful pedal if you want an uncomplicated pedal for those two things! I know you could easily just buy a boost and a delay but that combo is appealing to me for its simplicity. 

Hah so I'm torn what to think, i'm sure I'd really love and angry charlie v3 and a milkman! I feel bad. 

Why don't people ask

1 - when you have a Friedman or Bogner and say - Why don't you get a Marshall?
    2 - when you have a Lazy J - Why don't you get a Fender?
    3 - when you have Tube screamer clone - go buy a vintage TS9?
    4 - when you have a Rocket Archer - go buy a real Klon?
    5 - when you have a Rolls Royce - Go buy a Ford Model T?

Isn't a Marshall JTM45 basically a Fender Bassman?  

I doubt Marshal, Fender, Ford and every other original pedal maker got their commission for being recognised either, you can't live off being acknowledged.  If its about his religion links, I can't comment as I know nothing of it.

I think it is fine one doesn't like JHS but i find it really strange to constantly bringing it up and almost a mission to try to take down the company/person.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I had heard about stealing designs but nothing about supporting homophobic views. That really does push it over the edge and especially in this modern age, people need to get a grip and get over the fact that people of the same sex find each other attractive. It's insane that people actually have a problem with it.

I wanted a Colourbox but it is way to much cash for a pedal....I'd rather buy 2-3 others. The Muffletta seems cool but the Stone Deaf demo clearly shows the Fig Fumb does a much better job. 
  • What brought Dan and Mick to tears? Was it when they pushed the gain up a bit and did their version of a cheesy 80s shred lick and they find it hilarious because it's oh-so distasteful? 

;) 

If people don't like this, don't bother watching it. For me, it further reinforces that they do not review pedals at all - they are just an advert, like so many other YouTube videos on so many different consumer products.

Next there will probably be a "collaboration" with jhs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Yes I agree. They've changed tack and gone all commercial IMO It started out a very informative channel initially :(  However, I am totally aware that these video channels wouldn't survive if they didn't have some kind of funding. We all have overheads to pay. I would like Dan to do a show on switchers though and not just promote his own designs i.e. G3, Humdinger etc. That might hurt him a bit though ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/

Why don't people ask

I doubt Marshal, Fender, Ford and every other original pedal maker got their commission for being recognised either, you can't live off being acknowledged.  If its about his religion links, I can't comment as I know nothing of it.

I think it is fine one doesn't like JHS but i find it really strange to constantly bringing it up and almost a mission to try to take down the company/person.

I'm pretty sure it's because JHS are / were anti-gay (I personally don't care what views they hold) and, in this day and age "it's just not PC to be anti-gay".  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Why don't people ask

Do Lazy J, Rocket Archer, or Rolls Royce use pcbs that were designed by other people and then take credit for them themselves? 

There is a difference between making yet another tubescreamer (which everyone does) and taking a PCB layout that was made by someone else and using it commercially (which no-one does, because it's one of the elements of circuits which can actually be legally protected). 

Nobody would give a toss if it were just another company making tubescreamer copies. He directly ripped off madbeans layouts---that's not on at all and is why this is an issue. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Does anyone else here run a youtube channel about pedals every week? It's been two years now, they are trying to keep things fresh and not put on the same loop of information every few weeks. It's a show about pedals and other gear, and it's free to watch. They don't owe us anything, and can do what they like. In situations like Shoegaze-gate, they are very honest about what their experience is, and in reality it was just an excuse to play with fuzz and reverb. 

I love the exaggeration here too... 'proper blubbing'? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875

Why don't people ask

Do Lazy J, Rocket Archer, or Rolls Royce use pcbs that were designed by other people and then take credit for them themselves? 

There is a difference between making yet another tubescreamer (which everyone does) and taking a PCB layout that was made by someone else and using it commercially (which no-one does, because it's one of the elements of circuits which can actually be legally protected). 

Nobody would give a toss if it were just another company making tubescreamer copies. He directly ripped off madbeans layouts---that's not on at all and is why this is an issue. 

That's my point, I'm not saying it's fine for pretending he had an original design but what diffference does it make for the original builder? He is not getting a penny either way.  What difference is it to the end user? He is getting the same pedal either way.  As for price, caveat emptor, one is happy to pay for for a product, happy with the sound, happy with he package.

the people who seems most upset have not parted their cash.

Does anyone else here run a youtube channel about pedals every week? It's been two years now, they are trying to keep things fresh and not put on the same loop of information every few weeks. It's a show about pedals and other gear, and it's free to watch. They don't owe us anything, and can do what they like. In situations like Shoegaze-gate, they are very honest about what their experience is, and in reality it was just an excuse to play with fuzz and reverb. 

I love the exaggeration here too... 'proper blubbing'? 

---you're right, they owe us nothing. Equally, we owe them nothing, so if I want to criticise their show and decide not to watch it anymore because I don't particularly enjoy being patronised by two guys who openly admit to their own ignorance then I will.