Help identifying & valuing re-badged Laney Super Group head (60s / 70s?)

BisonkillsBisonkills Frets: 0
edited May 2017 in Amps
Hi all. My brother is moving on some gear, which is listed over at Bass Chat right now. It transpires one of the items he is selling is a Laney Supergroup, but is re-badged as 'Music City'. It has partridge transformers and x4 Svetlana Electron 6550 C tubes. Looks to have original transformers and be in good condition. From what I know these are quite sought after.

Does anyone have any idea of the approx value of these on the second hand market? Any help getting an accurate ID on the head and a value would be very much appreciated.

Equally, if you are London based and interested, I can put you in touch.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Don't know but I don't think they can be offered for sale with that Bulgin mains socket? He needs an IEC fitted and a PAT test.

No doubt ICBM or other will have the full SP?

Dave.

• BisonkillsBisonkills Frets: 0
    Cheers for the heads up on the Bulgin. We could still do with ideas on price though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Looking at the thread on Basschat, he's probably about right but a little on the high side, especially for the cab with the big hole in the grille. They're no doubt great-sounding, but an unknown brand high-power amp that's essentially a rebadged Laney and a 100W cab the size of a wardrobe are not exactly the most popular items these days...

The 6550s are almost certainly not the right valves either. It should be EL34s if it's a 100W amp or KT88s if it's a 150 - from the size of the transformers I'd guess the former. Old Laneys are very hard on the valves though, so these may have been fitted to make it more reliable.

The Bulgin isn't actually illegal to sell it with privately, but I would still replace it - the TAD replacement IEC socket is the correct fitment and fully covers the old hole - others don't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As per IC, I believe they were re-badged either for a music shop or distributor to get around licencing restrictions (Marshall/Park scenario). I have only worked on one and that was biased and fitted with EL34s, but I believe they may also have been fitted with KT77s.
    As it has a decent set of transformers, I don't see a major issue running 6550Cs, but it will have been re-biased at some point to cater for them, so If you do decide to fit EL34s / KT77s make sure it is re-biased accordingly.
    Won't go into the topic of Bulgins, as we have thrashed that one to death on the forum, suffice to say IC is 100% correct, suggest you replace it with a TAD IEC socket, they fit the original screw centres, but will still need amount of chassis filing to fit.   
  • BisonkillsBisonkills Frets: 0
    Head is gone now, to a Canadian collector. 

Cab is still available. Price drop to £250.