What Effect is This?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5852
edited February 2014 in FX
While listening to this I remembered I had a preset effect that sounded like this on an old Korg AX1G I used to use. Can't remember the preset name or the name of the effect in the unit.

It's the intro guitar sound to this. What "Stand Alone" Pedal would create that sound?

I don't know which room/shed or cupboard my ax1g is buried in the house so I ain't going digging it out.

Edit: Best I can descibe it is like a "Watery" sound, it was definitely a seperate effect to Flange, Chorus, Phaser etc.

Ta for any clues.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Sounds very much like chorus, turned up to quite a high rate.

IIRC I got a similar sound from an old Boss Chorus pedal (CH-2?)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• On a quick listen I thought flanger. A quick Google comes up with a few ideas but flanger seems to come out tops and something like a Boss BF3 is definitely in the ballpark. There is a guy playing it on YouTube and IIRC he is using flange plus delay.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    I'd go for Flange.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Flange does seem to be the closest but there was a preset effect on the Korg thingy I mentioned that sounded exactly like this.

I have a Flange pedal and when it's mixed to produce a sort of Andy Summers type tone, that's as close as I'd expect you could get to this. Could be delay as well as mentioned.

Might have to do a bit of experimenting or dig that bloody Korg effort out to see how the preset was mixed.
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Possibly a fast flanger with very little depth and high resonance to get that 'watery' sound. Might be an Ibanez / Maxon FL-9? Doesnt sound wobbly enough for a phaser.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Can get this as a mixed modulation of settings on the BOSS ME-5 too
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Beautiful sound. (And song, for that matter.)

I don't know exactly what it's done with but I might guess a combination of phasing *and* flanging.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    Yeah, sounds like an Electric Mistress and a phaser.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    57Deluxe said:
    Can get this as a mixed modulation of settings on the BOSS ME-5 too
    Funnily enough I had a similar sounding patch from the ME-5 which I made for the start of She Sells Sanctuary.

It nailed these flanger sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you could get that (or at least close) with a Stereo Electric Mistress:

Flange and Chorus. 
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I think the main thing that was bugging me was that it sounded like the Korg preset I mentioned, in fact, exactly the same, something to be said for an old, cheap fx unit.