DIY Les Paul kits any good?

4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Was looking at something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162044983051?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT as a start for a project. 

Anyone got any experience - are they OK as a platform to build from or are they total rubbish? 

I'd be trashing most of the hardware and buying better pickups, tuners and a Gibson bridge and tailpiece, then spraying gold-top.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I was bought an SG kit by a brand called Stretton Payne and it was consistently the biggest pile of junk I've ever set eyes on. I'd be careful if I were you
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I put an LP junior kit together and it was fine (electrics terrible of course) but the body and neck were good, neck is lovely actually.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'd probably want to look upmarket, a bit...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    Any more upmarket suppliers you can suggest? 
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1680
    I've built a Tele, SG and LP from Harley Benton kits, which are available from Thomann - all under £100. They are all a good base for a project, but I'd recommend upgrading most of the electrics and mechanical components - which you say you plan to do, so that's ok. The Tele (after a substantial rebuild http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/96186/waiting-for-the-snow-to-melt#latest) is my go-to guitar at the moment.

The LP has a bolt on neck, which is at a Strat angle to the body instead of an LP angle. To get the neck angle authentic you need to reshape the neck heel (or pocket), and also put a shim at the end of the neck to get the intonation correct again after the neck angle change.

• Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    I suspect that the body and neck are CNC machined, so probably quite consistent dimensionally. I think that the wood will not be graded and they throw in whatever they have, so may be a bit of a lottery on the quality. I have heard that the fingerboard is sanded manually and there has been stories of fingerboards being shaved down too much on the corners.

I think the money is worth it for what you learn building and setting it up. Crimson Guitars have a video on how to take a kit and improve it. 
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.
    tFB Trader
    Hmmm ... maybe this would be a step up - http://www.ukmusicsupplies.co.uk/?shop=shopitems/guitar.full.size.diy.kits/diy.electric.guitar.kits.gd770.lp.style.solid.mahogany.body.with.quilted.maple.veneer.gd770.aspx&prev=?shop=shopitems/guitar.full.size.diy.kits

Single piece Mahogany back - seems better quality. Not fussed about the flame maple - probably a thin veneer but won't matter if it's sprayed gold ...
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    Any more upmarket suppliers you can suggest? 
    Ultimately, I'd suggest the Canadian one, or the German tokai/Fabre ones, or even byo. These: http://www.kitbuiltguitars.co.uk/guitarkits/build-your-own-guitar-flamed-maple-les-paul-style-guitar.html

look a bit nicer, at first glance. 
    Or byo: www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit---Standard---Solid-Maple-Top__BYO-LP-M.aspx

Canadian: 
    https://precisionguitarkits.com/product/59-carved-top-our-best-seller-60s-neck

Looks like the tokai/Fabre ones are no more.. I guess I'm a bit out of touch...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

The one you linked later, doesn't look to shabby, btw!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Is the aim a guitar for not much money or the learning experience of building one yourself?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Is the aim a guitar for not much money or the learning experience of building one yourself?
    Erm, all of the above. Experience sanding and spraying it - maybe removing the binding and adding feet nibs, I just like tinkering :-) 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    That's handy because the kit in the link is never going to deliver the sounds of the famous American design whose general appearance it imitates.

One way to go up-market for reasonable money is to buy somebody else's unfinished project. Warmoth produces some lovely bodies and necks but the resulting self-assembled guitars never seem to hold their value compared to the big name brands on which they are often based.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    The kits linked seem to have given up when it came to shaping the headstock.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3202
    edited May 2017
    Some years ago axesrus did pre-finished Lester bodies and necks, mahogany back maple top etc. All you had to do was put everything together...and drill the bridge post holes. Supreme idiot and inexperienced diyer as I was, I buggered this simple but important job and the post holes weren't perfectly aligned with the pickup polepieces. Was never happy with it and as a result bits have come off the guitar over the years. Kept meaning to strip, sort and gold top it but can't see that happening any time soon with a new addition to the family on the way.

Was thinking of chucking it up on here as part of a clear out of stuff I don't need and as a project for someone that fancied popping some dowl in the post holes, redrilling and refinishing, just hadn't got round to photographing yet.

This may suit your needs? Let me know if you're interested, was thinking something token like £25, will just need collecting.