Neck humbucker with bite - for a Tele

What's Hot
I have a Mexican 72 Custom Tele.  One of the Road Worn ones.  

Trouble is, the neck humbucker is a bit muddy sounding through my old Vox AC30.

I need a replacement with some bite.  No point in having a Tele with lots of bite at the Bridge when there is mud in the bridge.

Any suggestions?
Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Creamery
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    edited February 2014 tFB Trader
    Essentially the 72 Mexican ... like the Japanese reissue has a bog standard, normal sized humbucker in the over-sized case ... with the extra space stuffed with cotton wadding and wax. In my opinion one of the biggest con jobs in 'reissues'.image It's built nothing like a real WR, and sounds nothing like one.
    The Creamery, Mojotone (in the US), Mojo (UK company, no relation), and yes ... myself ... do replacements that sound right. Oh there are several other US companies too, but they are very expensive.
    Issues? None of us can put Fender on our covers ... so you have to put up with losing the embossed logo.
    Plus points? Some modern replacements are offered with four conductor wiring, so you can get some nice 'free bonus' sounds out of them.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munkymunky Frets: 9
    My Yamaha Mike Stern tele has a Duncan 59 zebra affair in the neck.  It's far from muddy and seems to work well, I've only had the guitar a week so yet to really play with the tones available, but it might be worth considering?