1968 Marshall JMP Plexi in Derby

What's Hot
jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
edited May 2017 in Amps
This Plexi looks great! The caps date to 1966, yet its a 1968. What do you guys think? 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely, expensive I'd say!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    I think anyone posting links to their own ebay items are spamming the forum. mr jkirk ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It does stink of spamalot I must admit...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    **GASP** Jono you naughty boy!!!

Why not introduce yourself properly and get involved here?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited May 2017
    So it's original… "we struggle to find anything worth mentioning" apart from the changed transformer (which one? Edit - appears to be the PT) and choke, the cabinet being recovered, and 'a few' other components changed. And the stuff they don't mention like having a hole drilled through the JMP logo for a removed mod (MV?), IEC conversion (at least looks like a TAD), and replaced pilot lamp and knobs. And that's just what I'm pretty sure I can see at that terrible picture quality.

'Player grade' would be a good description. And it's nearly four grand? Hahahaha

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    ICBM said:
    So it's original… "we struggle to find anything worth mentioning" apart from the changed transformer (which one? Guessing OT since the PT looks correct) and choke, the cabinet being recovered, and 'a few' other components changed. And the stuff they don't mention like having a hole drilled through the JMP logo for a removed mod (MV?), IEC conversion (at least looks like a TAD), and replaced pilot lamp and knobs. And that's just what I'm pretty sure I can see at that terrible picture quality.

'Player grade' would be a good description. And it's nearly four grand? Hahahaha
    Ouch ... Firm but fair though :-)
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
     Wow!   I've got an all original, unmolested '68 JMP 50 watt,  must be worth at least half that ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah… found how to see the pic better. PT is changed, so probably the OT isn't.

Apart from that, all of the above plus a replaced standby switch, probably replaced volume and middle pots, one filter cap appears to be original (why?!), the whole bias circuit has been replaced (again, why?), and it's a bass model - not a problem, some people prefer them, but probably should be mentioned.

Of course none of this means that it doesn't sound good, but it is absolutely *not* anything like an original vintage amp. It's a typical example which has probably been used hard for most of its life, repaired a lot, blown up at least once, modded, de-modded, re-covered and is now being sold at a completely silly price as 'original'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    These guys get decent gear but honestly the eBay priced are a bit much 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    @ICBM is the man isn't he.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    lol… only because I've worked on enough old Marshalls in this sort of condition to know exactly what to look for even before I can see it clearly :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited May 2017
    Definitely had some work done, for comparison this is my 69', notice the red on the solder joints.

68's in good condition are desirable, they have a slightly warmer sound vs the later metal panels but will not sell at that price. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
    Thanks for the replies guys - you got me! haha

I'm going to get slaughtered for this but, the fact is, I'm a 24 year old guy who is in love with old gear. I'm working my dream I must admit. BUT, I've only been doing it for 4 years and, as much as I try to get things right, we all get things wrong sometimes. I try and do as much research as I possibly can before and after buying this gear, yet in a lot of things, I've not got the kind of experience that some of you guys have (only 4 years to be exact!). There's something new to be learned every day and it really is a journey to be an expert in this, not an overnight job. Today I've learnt that it would be wise to post detailed photos on here BEFORE we put them up for sale for you who know more, to correct and guide me. My two favourite things of the job are 1) sourcing the gear...by far THE most exciting job in the world! 2) Meeting the people. I'm still some sort of a rookie in the area of originality and components, etc, but I am willing and wanting to learn from experts. I have always been far more interested in sourcing gear and finding it a new home than taking it apart, yet I know that this is so important in the area we work in. However, there are many people on this forum (as you @ICBM ;, working on them for years) who have a love and a greater experience of that, so I would appreciate your help going forward!

Please, I would greatly appreciate any help or guidance in whatever amplifier/guitar we may have some details wrong on - we're ALWAYS open for correction - seriously - including this one which I am going to change the description and price on right away.

Finally, I am not, and never have been, in this business to rip people off. The link to another post you have put up @miserneil ;saying 'do not buy gear from the music locker' is the first I have seen of it, and cannot be further from the truth. If you came and met us, you would see that. There's an element of always putting people and customers first in this business, but there is also an element of not letting people walk over you. The things said in that post couldn't be further from the truth of the culture of our business - The Music Locker. If you look at our feedback on eBay, Reverb, Facebook, and our website, you can see for yourself that we really are trying (and succeeding) in doing things as right as we possibly can, with so many happy customers.

I hope you can hear my heart in this. There is not one element of doing dodgy business in our culture. We want to do things right but are still in our embryo so mistakes might be made. 

Any feedback or guidance from those who have been in this longer than us is really appreciate. And I am always happy to chat on our phone if you'd like to further.

Jono

P.S. expect many more posts on here now when we get a new amplifier in BEFORE it's listed. I hope you can all help us list correctly and find this gear new homes!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Jono.... what you should have learned from this is not that you should have posted pics here for others to do your job for you but to properly research the gear you buy BEFORE you buy it. If YOU are selling something like this for £4000 you need to be well equipped with the correct knowledge. @ICBM knows his stuff but the one thing that hit me is he believes the head was re-tolexed at one point... can you not see that yourself? 

Its admirable that you love your job and sourcing gear to sell on but there is a huge difference in selling gear of this age and callibre vs a strat or les Paul or an amp from 10 years ago.

Research first - buy from your chosen source - then resell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Welcome to the forum @jkirk170493! ;

I like your post, I can see it's a dream job and a passion for you - it'd be mine too! Just don't let that passion override the chance of soiling a reputation, sounds like you've got a long career ahead in music retail - shit sticks and there are VERY few people that can be really trusted in the vintage world these days. And thanks to the internet, any discrepancies are available for all to see - hence my posting of the thread I found.

There are a lot of knowledgable gents here who will certainly be able to help out if you have any questions who would be more than happy to help/authenticate/pontificate (delete as appropriate) and usually all for free. It's a GREAT community here of players and gear hounds who have the same passion as you do. We also look out for each other and have no problem calling bullshit on anything we find that may be a little untoward - mainly in the hope that one of us doesn't get stung.

That said, we are all approachable, nice guys (most of us...I'm a right bastard mind) and would be more than happy to help. I've been drooling over some of your stock for a while now, certainly place i'd like to spend an afternoon!

Welcome & best of luck with it all!

lonestar said:
    @ICBM knows his stuff but the one thing that hit me is he believes the head was re-tolexed at one point... can you not see that yourself? 

@lonestar - for balance, the re-tolex was clearly mentioned in the original ad.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Welcome to the forum @jkirk170493! ;;

I like your post, I can see it's a dream job and a passion for you - it'd be mine too! Just don't let that passion override the chance of soiling a reputation, sounds like you've got a long career ahead in music retail - shit sticks and there are VERY few people that can be really trusted in the vintage world these days. And thanks to the internet, any discrepancies are available for all to see - hence my posting of the thread I found.

There are a lot of knowledgable gents here who will certainly be able to help out if you have any questions who would be more than happy to help/authenticate/pontificate (delete as appropriate) and usually all for free. It's a GREAT community here of players and gear hounds who have the same passion as you do. We also look out for each other and have no problem calling bullshit on anything we find that may be a little untoward - mainly in the hope that one of us doesn't get stung.

That said, we are all approachable, nice guys (most of us...I'm a right bastard mind) and would be more than happy to help. I've been drooling over some of your stock for a while now, certainly place i'd like to spend an afternoon!

Welcome & best of luck with it all!

lonestar said:

@ICBM knows his stuff but the one thing that hit me is he believes the head was re-tolexed at one point... can you not see that yourself? 

@lonestar - for balance, the re-tolex was clearly mentioned in the original ad. I haven't read the ad but the sentiment of my post remains - if you are going to sell vintage gear you need to know what you're buying/selling. 

Jono's enthusiasm is very clear so I'm sure he'll do fine. Researching gear is part of the fun imo. I love trawling through Info to find out what I have to. 

Edit - skimmed the ad... it does mention half of the innards have been changed. Has this been edited since yesterday? 

Probably sounds amazing (Marshall fanboy here) but it's a little steep on the price in that case.... as if I have the money to buy it, yea right *checks pocket for lint*
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited May 2017

P.S. expect many more posts on here now when we get a new amplifier in BEFORE it's listed. I hope you can all help us list correctly and find this gear new homes!
    There is definitely a massive wealth of knowledge on here and willingness to share with others.  The one thing I personally would add though is in a the community of a forum like this I feel there's a difference between helping a fellow gear head get something fixed or pointing out the originality of components so they don't get ripped off and assisting someone purely for their commercial gain.

I'm probably just talking for myself but supporting this free site and doing what you can to keep it running and adding to content is great.  It's always nice to see old cool gear but there's got to be 2 way traffic with the support.  The more open and upfront you can be the better.  From a long recent post on here about stealth dealers I'd say changing your username to reflect your businesses would be a wise move.  Make sure people are aware of your business involvement and not abuse the good will of the folk on here.  

Ps:  some forum members special deals/discount, helping people source gear they're looking out for or donating to keep the forum running are all bribes that would be greatly received  (I am of course just talking for myself and not a mod so take it with the tongue in cheek as intended)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited May 2017

I'm curious about how this amp was "serviced"?

http://themusiclocker.co.uk/shop/amps/vintage-1964-vox-ac306-bass-2x12/