Just back from Mayer @ O2

What's Hot
cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
edited May 2017 in Guitar
And yes he's a great guitar player with lovely / catchy songs.

But I have to say that David Gilmour gig @ Royal Albert Hall and Pat Metheny @ Ronnie Scotts gigs were 1000x more interesting and inspiring! His acoustic guitar technique was nice though.

On the other hand, his stage visuals and animations were great! Probably one of the best I've seen so far!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3749
    I'd not heard him until the other day when a mate, who frankly is not a great player, was noodling along playing one of his hits. I asked what it was as, even with his fumbling approach, it sounded lovely. Impressed, I listened to the song and nearly fell asleep. Totally clinical and technically impressive playing but felt by-the-numbers and too safe.

I'm not a blues fan really although listened to a double vinyl of old school BB King tonight and actually thought of Mayer, while saying, "This is what I like about blues." Raw, ballsy and still sounds fresh while sticking to conventional repeated patterns.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I thought it was awesome. But then I'm a huge fan boy. 

Also cant understand for the life of me why people hate the O2. Loads of places to eat and drink, camped up on the bar from 3pm which was a 5 minute walk from my seat. 

Sound was fantastic, view was fantastic, seat was comfy, took 60 seconds round trip from my seat to get a beer or have a piss. Blinding!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7136
    Where did you sit Bristol ? We were directly in front of the stage but right at the back about 3/4 of the way up. The sound wasn't great where we were and after the first two songs I wasn't impressed. Luckily the visuals then kicked in which made it an overall enjoyable night but nowhere near my top ten and bearing in mind what it cost me it should have been !
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    the boy has an immense amount of class. His detractors usually don't know what he does or have the ability to get anywhere close 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The mans got talent, I truly love a lot of his stuff, it's class, but his current album just isn't up there with what we know he's capable of.

I read a review of the new stuff which summed it up nicely for me, it went along the lines of: "his downfall seems to be simultaneously having too much, yet at the same time, a complete lack of, taste".

I agree with this, he's become so tasteful that it's become bland, yet some of those lyrics would have been rejected by teenage girls messing about in their bedroom they're so bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    We were in Block 111 @DrCornelius - about 45 degrees to the stage. Thought the sound was great where we were.

https://i.imgur.com/Xq8QWX0.jpg

I don't go to a lot of shows and the ones I have been to in recent years were big venues so that may be a factor. 

And I completely get it about the new stuff not being great, relatively. I said myself that if it was anyone else other than Mayer I probably wouldn't even like it. 

But I only got into guitar fairly recently and it was his playing that made me think 'I want to do that' so I'll always love what he does!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Saw the setlist and feel like I saved a lot of wasted money by not going

Saw the setlist and feel like I saved a lot of wasted money by not going
    What were you hoping for, more older stuff?
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Mayer has completely passed me by and the bits I have heard sounded a bit smooth and smoochy.  Could someone recommend an album where I should start?  
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    I think Mayer's problem is that he's the only songwriter
    So there is the scope for more variable output
    On reflection, I've bought most of his albums, and found most bland, some OK, and one excellent 

Solo writers are worth following though, before CDs or mp3s I used to have every LP by Neil Young - some were amazing, some crap. I think you get higher peaks and lower troughs with solo artists
    @ToneControl What was the one excellent one? 
    Mayer has completely passed me by and the bits I have heard sounded a bit smooth and smoochy.  Could someone recommend an album where I should start?  
    Personally I'd watch the 'Where The Light Is' DVD/BluRay from start to finish. That's what got me. I don't think I'd have reacted the same if I'd tried to get into him by listening to his studio stuff. 

It's available on YouTube as a playlist if that's your thing

@ToneControl What was the one excellent one? 
    Continuum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Personally I'd watch the 'Where The Light Is' DVD/BluRay from start to finish. That's what got me. I don't think I'd have reacted the same if I'd tried to get into him by listening to his studio stuff. 

yes, this video is the best thing to get into his stuff, worth watching more than once

he talks a load of rubbish sometimes though
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Of the studio albums, Continuum is by far the best. Try is a great live album with just the trio, but Where the Light Is is a better overall performance by far.

Then the rest all have merit, but get patchier in (for me) the following order: Born & Raised, Battle Studies, Paradise Valley Room for Squares, Heavier Things and The Search for Everything. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    BRISTOL86 said:

yes, this video is the best thing to get into his stuff, worth watching more than once

he talks a load of rubbish sometimes though
    So true! I had to skip through the latter part of Bold as Love....
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Remember, he's not the messiah...

He is a very talented player and songwriter who has some great songs in his back catalogue across multiple genres, but he's also got his fair share of, IMHO, weaker output. e.g. His latest album doesn't do it for me.

R.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7136
    For me top 3 studio albums are (in order)

paradise valley
    born and raised
    continuium

the first two add a folky country feel to his sound , continuum is more straight ahead pop rock/blues imho
    @BRISTOL86 ;
     Thanks!! 
    For me top 3 studio albums are (in order)

paradise valley
    born and raised
    continuium

the first two add a folky country feel to his sound , continuum is more straight ahead pop rock/blues imho
    Top man. I love PV. Was gutted he didn't do Waiting on the Day as he's done it a couple of times on this tour.