I need your nut advice, gentlemen

GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
in Guitar tFB Trader
Nooooo... not THAT sort of nut advice. Jesus.

Right, I have been heavily modding a 2015 Les Paul Junior. It was meant as a show piece for my business and I'm definitely keeping it.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/Lonestar83/Mobile Uploads/FE28BC5D-BCD6-4A1C-985C-1CD34F25F870_zpsnwrkl13l.jpg

I have removed the nut it originally came with as per every single bit of advice I got about it. No idea what it was.

Now, what's the best type of nut to fit? I have heard of Nevada nuts in relation to Lesters... any good?

Scott
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    edited May 2017
    Nevada? That's the name of a guitar shop. Do you mean Earvana? Pre-compensated nuts, in assorted synthetic and/or self-lubricating materials.

Talking of things pre-compensated, the "lightning bolt" wrap-around bridge/tailpiece in your photograph is inappropriate unless the  holes for the threaded inserts are drilled equidistantly from the end of the fingerboard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited May 2017
    Great strap button :).

If it's a 2015 it will have a non-standard fingerboard width, so bear that in mind… if you can't find a pre-cut one it may be easiest just to make one from a blank - bone or Corian (a hard bone-like plastic) are the usual choices, although many old Gibsons used hard nylon.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Great strap button :).

If it's a 2015 it will have a non-standard fingerboard width, so bear that in mind… if you can't find a pre-cut one it may be easiest just to make one from a blank - bone or Corian (a hard bone-like plastic) are the usual choices, although many old Gibsons used hard nylon.
    Yes that's a nod to EVH ;)

Mmmmm, tbh I never gave the fingerboard width a second thought so that's good advice! I had been told that Gibson would replace the nut supplied with anotheb one (durability issues?) but I haven't managed to get that far yet.
    tFB Trader

Nevada? That's the name of a guitar shop. Do you mean Earvana? Pre-compensated nuts, in assorted synthetic and/or self-lubricating materials.

Talking of things pre-compensated, the "lightning bolt" wrap-around bridge/tailpiece in your photograph is inappropriate unless the  holes for the threaded inserts are drilled equidistantly from the end of the fingerboard.
    See, this is where I get lost... that's the bridge the guitar came with... that affects the nut choice?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    It doesn't affect nut choice.  It's the right bridge for the guitar.  

It is obviously wrong for a vintage version, but so are many other features that would be difficult to change.

when I got mine I originally intended to relic it and make it more authentic, but since it would never be close to 100% I couldn't bring myself to do it.   You have avoided that dilemma with the colour choice :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    lonestar said:

I had been told that Gibson would replace the nut supplied with anotheb one (durability issues?) but I haven't managed to get that far yet.
    The Gibson replacement is the same design, made from better metal - titanium not brass. But if you're not using the robot tuners then you don't need that, and a standard nut would be better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    WezV said:
    It's the right bridge for the guitar.  
    I realised that after I researched the 2015 specification. B)

Since I bought a Gibson Melody Maker, I have had these bridge issues on the brain.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    lonestar said:

I had been told that Gibson would replace the nut supplied with anotheb one (durability issues?) but I haven't managed to get that far yet.
    The Gibson replacement is the same design, made from better metal - titanium not brass. But if you're not using the robot tuners then you don't need that, and a standard nut would be better.
    No problem mate. I got rid of the robot tuners straight away tbh. I've replaced them with the vintage style button tuners. 
    tFB Trader

WezV said:
    It doesn't affect nut choice.  It's the right bridge for the guitar.  

It is obviously wrong for a vintage version, but so are many other features that would be difficult to change.

when I got mine I originally intended to relic it and make it more authentic, but since it would never be close to 100% I couldn't bring myself to do it.   You have avoided that dilemma with the colour choice :)
    It's not the sexiest looking contraption in the world but if it serves its purpose...

Hopefully the colour scheme will distract prying eyes ;)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Guitar looks awesome.!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

tFB Trader
    usedtobe said:
    Guitar looks awesome.!
    Thanks mate, should be ready in a few weeks :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Just looked at the picture, I wasn't expecting that colour

My daughter would love that 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader

It's good to be different :) my daughter loves it, even my son loves it. Can't wait to get it finished
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    lonestar said:

, even my son loves it. 

How very dare he ............
    Seriously,I like it a lot too even if it is a bit of a mince
    tFB Trader
    Dominic said:
    lonestar said:

, even my son loves it. 

How very dare he ............
    Seriously,I like it a lot too even if it is a bit of a mince
    I think there's a compliment in there somewhere ;)