Tube Tone Engineering Redneck 15/20 5e3 clone?

What's Hot
ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
I'd love to build a 5e3 clone but my spare time this year is looking like zero. So I'm in the market for buying a 5e3 handwired clone. Anyone tried the Redneck in the title? Price looks good. All I really need is a working chassis - putting that in a head or combo is something that won't take long so can do myself and I have suitable speakers already.

All advice welcome, including if you've got something very similar for sale.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
    tFB Trader
    I can't comment on his 5E3 but his Plexi stuff is very good. A local musician has one and it's great value for money. 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3857
    I got flamed in another thread for liking the tone of the red neck in this video. Still like it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3857
    Banbury is only up the road from Witney. @RiftAmps is yer man.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I've tried a redneck 5e3 a couple of years ago and I enjoyed playing through tbh. It's not a j20 but still en enjoyable amp and a good price for one too :) Hope it helps
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    hotpickups said: 
    I've tried a redneck 5e3 a couple of years ago and I enjoyed playing through tbh. It's not a j20 but still en enjoyable amp and a good price for one too :) Hope it helps
    Sadly, I'm one of the few who tried a J20 and was a tad underwhelmed, so thanks for your helpful response!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lebarque said:
    I got flamed in another thread for liking the tone of the red neck in this video. Still like it.

Hi @Lebarque - I agree, that sounds good!
    edited May 2017
    Chalky said:
    hotpickups said: 
    I've tried a redneck 5e3 a couple of years ago and I enjoyed playing through tbh. It's not a j20 but still en enjoyable amp and a good price for one too Hope it helps
    Sadly, I'm one of the few who tried a J20 and was a tad underwhelmed, so thanks for your helpful response!
    I did a gig last night using the J20 and people in the audience were saying the sound was awesome and asked what I was playing through. That wasn't the first time that happened either

In a band context the J20 just sits so well and very punchy and clear. It is the best amp I've ever owned for that. It's been said before that it's a one trick pony and it is but what a trick. Unlikely I know but if you could ever borrow a J20 for a full band gig you'll know what I mean. Unlikely though as not many owners would let it out of their sights etc. Well I wouldn't anyway lol
    @hotpickups - maybe you've hit the nail on the head, as I only play at home so wouldn't reach the gig volume level where the magic happens!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    @hotpickups - maybe you've hit the nail on the head, as I only play at home so wouldn't reach the gig volume level where the magic happens!
    Ah then definitely the J20 isn't for you unless you put an l-pad attenuater in it like I have. I can have it roaring whilst watching and listening TV now lol. Not the same though 
  • sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    ??? I-pad attenuator....is this another piece of tech that is passing me by under the radar....?
    sm55onl said:
    ??? I-pad attenuator....is this another piece of tech that is passing me by under the radar....?
    It's a simple attenuator @sm55onl that can fit into the back of a combo like mine. I got mine made by rift amps for me relatively cheaply. These attenuators don't have to be expensive like the Iron man's or Swart Night lights etc. Does what it says on the tin but cheaply and it just works :)

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/gibby12345/My%20Images/8B578ECC-CC85-4EF1-BED3-A8919939AA59_zpsanqirflo.jpg
  • sm55onl said:
    It's a simple attenuator @sm55onl that can fit into the back of a combo like mine. I got mine made by rift amps for me relatively cheaply. These attenuators don't have to be expensive like the Iron man's or Swart Night lights etc. Does what it says on the tin but cheaply and it just works :)

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/gibby12345/My%20Images/8B578ECC-CC85-4EF1-BED3-A8919939AA59_zpsanqirflo.jpg

Yeah, I made my own. Very crude, but it works with some amps pretty well - decent with vox style too. 

Some "boutique" attenuators are nothing more than an l-pad and a treble cap... 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Lebarque said:

Nice strat ;)
  • That was my amp and i also built the strat, had a Tayden 20 Alnico speaker in it, was running 6L6's in this video. Had the VVR fitted to it. In the room the tone was really nice and juicy, video isn't bad but nothing like the live sound. Best amp i ever had. Strat had pretty hot CBS spec pups fitted, 6.4/6.6/7.1K outputs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom