Fitting 11's on a PRS Tremonti SE #nuts

skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
My recent purchase of a PRS DGT has meant that my virtually brand new PRS Tremonti SE is getting less and less love. Part of the problem is the skinny-ass strings as the DGT runs some insane 11-49s. When the Tremonti arrived I put a set of hybrid 9-46's on it and just tightened the claw springs a tad. 

Since the DGT I immediately thought about fitting a set of 11-49s to the Tremonti but wondered about the changes to the nut or trem that may be needed (i.e. additional springs). Also, can you easily go back down a gauge? I suspect that I will end up running 10's but don't want to rule out the 11-49 gauges either.

Alternatively should I just replace the nut? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Just widen the nut slightly. If it is sticking that is.

The PRS SE nuts are pretty rubbish and so give it a go, as you can always replace them with something a bit nicer. I ended up repacing all the nuts on my SE models .

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    stonevibe said:
    Just widen the nut slightly. If it is sticking that is.

The PRS SE nuts are pretty rubbish and so give it a go, as you can always replace them with something a bit nicer. I ended up repacing all the nuts on my SE models .
    How old re yours? Mine is a '16. Apparently the nuts are better on recent models?!