P90 p/up height adjustment on Yamaha Pacifica 611

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited May 2017 in Guitar
Having raised the height of the h/b,I've just tried to raise the P90 p/up height on my Yamaha 611VFM Pacifica.  Normally its clockwise to go up, anti-clockwise to go down. The P90 is virtually flush to the body and I want to raise it a bit - but I cannot get the two Phillips screws to turn - I don't want to force it and damage the screw/pick-up - what am I doing wrong?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited May 2017
    The pickup is mounted directly into the body wood. Turning the screw clockwise drives it further into the wood. 

If the pickup is as low as it can get, continuing to turn the height adjustment screws strips the threads into which they are biting.

As you turn the screws anti-clockwise, the compressible rubber pad beneath the P90 will push it closer to the strings. If the rubber is already fully compressed, it might take a while to recover its proper shape. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Ah, so to raise the P90 height I have to turn the screws anti clockwise?!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Affirmative.
    Affirmative.
    Thanks - but doesn't seem to be doing very much other than the Phillips screws sitting proud.  I suspect it's just not meant to be adjusted which is a bit of a daft design because if you adjust the h/b up you'll likely want to raise the P90 up a tad too to balance volume output. Ah well, no biggie as I was only after a very modest adjustment anyway.   
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I think they would normally have a bit of sponge, or similar under the pickup, to push it out, as you loosen the mounting screws...?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    I think they would normally have a bit of sponge, or similar under the pickup, to push it out, as you loosen the mounting screws...?
    Doesn't seem to do anything - not the best design I've ever seen. 
    See last sentence of post number two.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Voxman said:
    usedtobe said:
    Doesn't seem to do anything - not the best design I've ever seen. 
    Take the pickup out and if there are no springs/sponge underneath then fit some.  Both my p90 guitars are direct mount and you need the spring to raise the height.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I use bits of wood to shim them. I have a Gibson LP Special and a Yamaha 502 Revstar - both needed shimming to raise them a bit (lolly sticks from Magnum choc-ices work well).
    Thanks everyone for the pointers/suggestions - why the P90 isn't easily adjustable I have no idea - bad design, as I said.  
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Voxman said:
    Thanks everyone for the pointers/suggestions - why the P90 isn't easily adjustable I have no idea - bad design, as I said.  
    The P90 was designed in the 50s when adjustable polepieces were the height of cutting-edge innovation! At least the 'soapbar' style P90 CAN be height adjusted, unlike the 'dog-ear' variety.

You might try gently lifting the soapbar with your fingers as you loosen the height screws - the cover may be tight in the cutout and binding slightly. This may allow the foam (if present) to expand slowly.
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:
    The P90 was designed in the 50s when adjustable polepieces were the height of cutting-edge innovation! At least the 'soapbar' style P90 CAN be height adjusted, unlike the 'dog-ear' variety.

You might try gently lifting the soapbar with your fingers as you loosen the height screws - the cover may be tight in the cutout and binding slightly. This may allow the foam (if present) to expand slowly.
    Thanks for that. Its the screwed into the wood thing that's the problem. Most other P90 guitars I've seen have easily adjustable height.  Perhaps its just a cost issue but this is a top of the range Pacifica & Yamaha should have made it easier than this.  it's the first poor feature I've found on what appears to be a well made and well thought out guitar. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430

/\ /\ This.

Sometimes the side walls or corners of the pickup casing flare out very slightly at the bottom edge and can then bind on the cavity walls if it is routed tight.

As others have mentioned, rubber pads and/or timber shims are normally used. Springs or latex tubing work but can make the pickup wobble slightly. A similar principal applies to mounting FilterTron type pickups. Admittedly it's a little tedious compared to humbucker mounting but it only usually needs doing once.