1964 Vox AC30/6. From trash to treasure!

What's Hot
jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
edited May 2017 in Amps
Hi guys,

Jono from The Music Locker here. Just wanted to share this with you guys and get your opinions on it.

We found this in a cellar in Rochdale, UK. It had been stood for ages and, unfortunately, woodworm had it. We were tempted to split it up but would rather have spent a bit more time and effort to get it back up and running. It was treated for woodworm and cleaned up (unfortunately there is still a mark on the front as you can see). It now plays and sounds great! 

I absolute lovely seeing things that have been beaten up, broken and stored for too long come back to life again!

How do you guys see it for originality? We've dated it to 1964 from the serial number, but also the speakers, smooth tolex, brown grill and black vents. Is this correct?

Thanks again for all your help! Hope you love the story as much as we do!

Link is here:

http://themusiclocker.co.uk/shop/amps/vintage-1964-vox-ac306-bass-2x12/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

You are VERY lucky that mice have not eaten the cones! Used to happen a lot to speakers in 'console' tellies!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
    @ecc83 Honestly, we couldn't believe it! Everything was fine, after a bit of work, just the woodworm!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    Give Steve Grosvenor a call.

http://www.thevoxac30guide.com/

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Looks better than I did at 53.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1446
    Looks good to me.  Smooth tolex and copper panels are the norm for 64's.  You occasionally get smooth tolex and grey panels around the same time, however these are a bit more unusual.

By the look of the condition of the chassis, the transformers look original.

Nice find, although I think it might be a challenge to sell a bass AC30 for that money.
    Thanks everyone for your help! I can't stop playing it. Big big thanks to our tech who brought this back to life - he's awesome! Thanks guys!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    I wish I'd never looked at your site though - especially at the Selmer Zodiacs...

I had a mint (and I mean mint) one owner Twin Thirty with the original Celestions in complete working order.

I swapped it for a 74 Strat some 20 years ago......
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    welshboyo said:
    I wish I'd never looked at your site though - especially at the Selmer Zodiacs...

I had a mint (and I mean mint) one owner Twin Thirty with the original Celestions in complete working order.

Ah, do you have any pictures of it still!? We were offered a mint Twin Fifty a few months back, but the price was too much. But honestly it looked showroom condition!! 

To be fair mate, that's not a bad deal at all! The 74 Strat is one of the good ones!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    Hmmmmm - should this be in the Classifieds?

And looking at your other threads, please keep in mind our guidance re dealers.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1446
    TTony said:

It does feel a bit like an advert, complete with link to shop doesn't it?!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    edited May 2017
    Asking for advice regarding an amp's originality with 3 exclamation marks & no photos of the inside chassis nor speakers? 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited May 2017
    welshboyo said:

Ah, do you have any pictures of it still!? We were offered a mint Twin Fifty a few months back, but the price was too much. But honestly it looked showroom condition!! 

To be fair mate, that's not a bad deal at all! The 74 Strat is one of the good ones!
    I used to have a Selmer Zodiac 2x12 50 MkII with Celestion greeenbacks.  Bought it for £40 off my maths teacher when I was at school, and it came with the wheel/stands. Wish I'd have kept it!  It was like this one with the 6-push button tone selectors:

th1jpeg - 49Kb

But might have been this one:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    TTony said:

Tony, I've just looked at the rules and guidance. There is no sale motive here, and I have been contributing (and will still continue) to other threads. 

Please could you let me know how I can improve further? 

Voxman said:
    welshboyo said:

I used to have a Selmer Zodiac 2x12 50 MkII with Celestion greeenbacks.  Bought it for £40 off my maths teacher when I was at school, and it came with the wheel/stands. Wish I'd have kept it!  It was like this one with the 6-push button tone selectors:

th1jpeg - 49Kb

But might have been this one:

They look awesome! I had one similar, but slightly later and transistor. It's called the Taurus:

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    TTony said:

Tony, I've just looked at the rules and guidance. There is no sale motive here, and I have been contributing (and will still continue) to other threads. 

If there's "no sale motive", then I suggest avoiding posting a link to the FS ad on your site.  

By all means post Qs re stuff, ask for advice/input, etc, but right now all of the treads that you have started appear to be thinly veiled FS threads.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

If there's "no sale motive", then I suggest avoiding posting a link to the FS ad on your site.  

By all means post Qs re stuff, ask for advice/input, etc, but right now all of the treads that you have started appear to be thinly veiled FS threads.
    Thanks for your help Tony. I'll be sure to do so. Also, could I change my username to JonoKirkTML?