Envelope filter autowah.....

lespaulcustom68lespaulcustom68 Frets: 23
What's really good? Moog / Xotic / new discombobulator from Emma / Stone FX???? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    Subdecay Prometheus.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I'm loving the Maxon AF-9, though it's taken a while to get to grips with it (I think that's the case with a lot of envelope filters, you need to learn to play to the pedal's strengths). I also really like the Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter which can almost be an always on type pedal.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like my Emma/Stone.

Image result for emma stone
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
    Sporky said:
    Subdecay Prometheus.
    Yes. Some good stuff there. Fiddly to set up IIRC, but that fiddliness also makes it very versatile.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Sporky said:
    Subdecay Prometheus.
    Very good.

Also

WMD Super Fatman
    3 Leaf Audio Wonderlove (almost a Lovetone Meatball but without the complete inability to duplicate how it was sounding 5 seconds ago)
    TWA Little Dipper

All great.

But expensive. The old DOD FX25 is still brilliant
  • I love the dod FX 25, if you listen to sir psycho sexy you can hear it on the bass. It's a fat, funky pedal. 

I currently use a boss ft-2. Really great sounding pedal and a bit different to the dod, a bit cleaner and clearer but with plenty of control available. I prefer it, but only by a bit. 

I used to have an old mains powered ehx Qtron and that was fun, but fussy to dial in. Didn't do as well on bass either, clipped and sounded weird. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Many moons ago I had an Electro Harmonix Zipper from the Seventies or something, which was great - like nothing else. Very 'waow-y'! Sold it a few years ago when I wasn't playing at all, which is a shame. 
    I've tried the Boss AW-2, mainly because I sometimes use a software version in Cubase, but the real thing wasn't quite as good. I've also got a TW-1 which seems to operate similarly to the old Zipper but not as dramatic.

The EH Micro Synthesizer is pretty good , as are the HOG and POG pedals, but bulky and pricey.

However, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the combination of pedal wah and deep phase. I just can't get along with autowah live.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited May 2017
    The most enjoyable auto wah I had was the mad professor Snow White Only sold it because I only used it for one song in the set. I use my möbius for similar sounds now
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    Sassafras said:
    I like my Emma/Stone.

*sigh* Adore this woman.
    Sassafras said:
    I like my Emma/Stone.

*sigh* Adore this woman.
    I have no idea who she is....... but I wish I did ;)
  • Putting the lovely Emma aside has anyone invested in a solid gold fx funkzilla or Equaker Devices Spatial Delivery?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Don't be tempted by the DOD FX25B though

It's very different to the 25.

The B is just shite 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Mad Professor Snow white
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    From the modern breed, the Mad Professor Snow White is a goody and I've liked what's been in the Zoom units. The Guyatone Wah Rocker wasn't bad. However, for me, a late 70's Vintage MXR Envelope Filter is the one (listen to link below). They're not consistent as I've had a few and sold them on as I'm still chasing a  good one and one that sounds like my mate's one. I believe AnalogMan has made his version of it and it's a limited run.

I just love the sound of one on the solo from Edie Brickell's "What I am"

Kebabkid said:
    From the modern breed, the Mad Professor Snow White is a goody and I've liked what's been in the Zoom units. The Guyatone Wah Rocker wasn't bad. However, for me, a late 70's Vintage MXR Envelope Filter is the one (listen to link below). They're not consistent as I've had a few and sold them on as I'm still chasing a  good one and one that sounds like my mate's one. I believe AnalogMan has made his version of it and it's a limited run.

I just love the sound of one on the solo from Edie Brickell's "What I am"

lol that's exactly the song I bought the Snow White for. But then it was dropped from the set and never used it again :( Great sound :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited May 2017
    @hotpickups - that sound is just fabulous. Smooth yet quacky. Lord knows what he used on that.

The other great auto-wah solo is 'Going back to my roots'.

I even think Walter Becker now uses an auto-wah/envelope filter live on 'Haitian Divorce' rather than the voice box used on the record. Shots of his pedalboard show a Pigtronix but I'm not sure.

Many of the current auto-wahs/Envelope Filters that I've tried sound thin or too phaser-ish
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Emma Discombobulator's not really new (unless there's a Mk2 , reissue or something), and it's blimming great for auto-wah.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Line 6 M5?
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    3 Leaf Wonderlove is worth a look
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Luminous said:
    Line 6 M5?
    I thought one of the criticisms of the M series was the lack of auto wah/ envelope filter?

I've found auto wah really hard to use live - I think because you set Sensitivity and then hit everything twice as hard on a gig. I do a lot of stuff off my volume knob as well so you can effectively turn the effect off if you want to go quieter. Auto wah off a cheap multi fx that's impervious to your actual playing and just makes everything go Quack is about right for me :flushed: Having said that the DOD 440 reissue is worth a look if you prefer something with a less pronounced effect.

By the way - where does everyone have it in the chain? Anywhere other than must see the undoctored signal? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.