59 Strat on gumtree

What's Hot

Comments

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    neck date is absent as you would expect in 1959 :

That's true...............there was a time during 59 when a lot of Fenders had no neck dates (story goes an employee wrote a rude word there, and when it was discovered nothing had to be written of the necks from then on.............seems to last for a good  few months in 59).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited May 2017
    Ah, previously sold by the dealer which was trying to question the authenticity of my 335 when he offered to buy it.

This seems to be how things work with vintage dealers; examine every tiny detail when stock is being acquired and not worry too much when it's on the way out....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    @miserneil no need to question it's authenticity, just look who sold it last!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Jack_ said:
    I saw it, it's on my doorstep (not literally).

I'm not really up on vintage Fender values, but I couldn't spend that much money on a black one.

I couldn't agree more. Worst colour ever in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The neck pocket looks good..........looks like it used to be a sunburst...........the paint in the neck pocket looks original - and looks perfect for 58 to 62 Fenders (before they went to the stick method of painting). All the pots and caps are correct..........neck looks good. Other than the tuners (and strap buttons) I think it looks OK.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited May 2017
    neck date is absent as you would expect in 1959 :

That's true...............there was a time during 59 when a lot of Fenders had no neck dates (story goes an employee wrote a rude word there, and when it was discovered nothing had to be written of the necks from then on.............seems to last for a good  few months in 59).
    I think that's the later (rosewood) 59's.
    I mean it's pencil anyway, so who cares. Could've been rubbed off, could easily be added again.

Forgot to say that it does seem to have the correct pin hole above the neck pickup rout. The better pics of the font look correct. 

What do you make of the control cavity? 

Some of the last of the 59 maple necks are also dateless - its quite common to see them.

Also RE the body date - its common in 59 this date would be  in the trem spring cavity.

The control cavity looks OK..........I know that circle/possible router mark looks strange...not sure exactly what that is. The neck pocket "look" sells it for me.............The white stuff in the cavities I assume is polish.

On this 56 there is a kinda similar circular mark (not identical I know ) :

http://www.guitarhq.com/56strat.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    The longer the tale, the harder the sale...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    proggy said:
    Jack_ said:
    I saw it, it's on my doorstep (not literally).

I'm not really up on vintage Fender values, but I couldn't spend that much money on a black one.

I couldn't agree more. Worst colour ever in my opinion.
    Racists.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

That's a great spot.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    The circular mark looks a bit like a G clamp washer imprint, no idea why it would be there on a Strat though. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    edited May 2017
    The circular mark looks a bit like a G clamp washer imprint, no idea why it would be there on a Strat though. 
    To me it looks like a router mark.  Almost exactly like you would get from the initial plunge action where more downwards pressure is initially applied And the bit may even be pulling itself into the wood.  

i say this knowing that's how I have been left with identical marks in guitars I have made. I don't actually know how fender did it in 1959.  I assume pin routers
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106

That's a great spot.
    It's more an indentation, and I wouldn't say it's great, I mean it's ok as indentations go
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:

That's a great spot.
    It's more an indentation, and I wouldn't say it's great, I mean it's ok as indentations go
    Each to their own..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I love the black, but as already said I think the body is wrong anyway because the edge radius is far too sharp for a 50s Strat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Original contours are easily lost during a refin - by overzealous sanding.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    edited May 2017
    riscado said:
    The longer the tale, the harder the sale...
    ...and that sums it up nicely !
    A very experienced dealer I know ,always says one thing...look at the source !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Original contours are easily lost during a refin - by overzealous sanding.
    Not that much. To make them that square it would need it to lose about a quarter of an inch off either the thickness or the outline - or even both - and it clearly hasn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    we can agree to disagree on that one
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom