Singapore Guitar Shops

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
Hi folks, posting from sunny (ok, clammy) Singapore where I am with work for 4 weeks.
I managed to track down what looks like the equivalent to Denmark St (but with better stock) with about 8 music shops all together in the basement of a shopping centre on Coleman St but Google suggests there are a couple more dotted around. I don't suppose any of you have been out here before and have any pointers? (Guitar-related or otherwise :-) )

I'm still pretty jetlaged so didn't try anything out yesterday, but 2 things were obvious: lots of Japanese stock that I've never seen firsthand in the UK (Fender, ESP, and a nice looking Bacchus Flying V) and the pedals..... one of everything from all those boutiquey US and Japanese brands with crap UK distribution. At first glance prices look to be on a par with UK so I don't think any bargains will be coming home but I do intend to go and try lots of stuff.
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    We want photos of the interesting stuff.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    I will endeavour to do so next weekend
    Red ones are better. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Definitely lots of pics.  I've always wanted to check out some of the guitar stores over there, lots of guitars I've only ever seen online.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ^ +1 :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The only time I passed through Singapore I was so taken by the local ladies that my eyes could not see anything else.
    Orchard Towers right? ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Though I've not had any personal experience, I have in the past spoken to a number students who originate from Singapore/Malaysia who have pretty unified opinion that gear over there is a lot cheaper than here.  Now this was going back a couple of years so perhaps the drop in the value of the pound has equalised things a bit.  I also get the feeling that there's more wiggle room in prices so you may have to haggle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting, thanks
    Red ones are better. 
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Evilmags said:
    The only time I passed through Singapore I was so taken by the local ladies that my eyes could not see anything else.

They weren't ladies. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    edited August 2013

They weren't ladies. ;)
    Ahh, you've been to Geylang and/or Orchard Towers then?

I'm from Malaysia just across the causeway. I used to get all my gear from Singapore, where it used to be much cheaper than just about anywhere else, as a free port. The gap has narrowed quite a bit recently, but shuikit's right in that there's still a lot more wiggle room for haggling.

No! haha. But I have heard about Orchard T by reputation. 

I plan to go and take a proper look (at the guitar shops I mean) at the weekend. 
    Red ones are better.