New Vox Amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yeah it's one great thing about the Microcube, it has strap buttons on it so you can use a guitar strap to carry it if you like. Sure it doesn't sound as good as some newer stuff but it's basically bomb proof as a travel amp
    I really like the micro-cube for what it is, looking forward to Boss updating it as the micro-Katana!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:
    Sorry, but I just dont get these tabletop amps with small speakers. The THR10 left me cold, as did the Blackstar versions. For what these things cost you are way better off with a proper amp that has a decent size speaker.  A Boss Katana costs way less and from all reports would kick the ass of any of these table top amps. 

Noted. Not everybody wants a Boss Katana or equivalent on their desk, tabletop, or even front room though. There's a market for these things...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Pricey....very pricey.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    AM/FM Radio?

Why no DAB?

Is it a valve radio??

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017
    simonk said:
    Voxman said:
    Sorry, but I just dont get these tabletop amps with small speakers. The THR10 left me cold, as did the Blackstar versions. For what these things cost you are way better off with a proper amp that has a decent size speaker.  A Boss Katana costs way less and from all reports would kick the ass of any of these table top amps. 

Noted. Not everybody wants a Boss Katana or equivalent on their desk, tabletop, or even front room though. There's a market for these things...
    Of course, otherwise they wouldn't make them - I can understand someone buying one as an extra amp eg to keep in their living room where its innocuous enough & can look 'twee' so as not to upset their other half, or if they are eg in a block of flats where space & volume impose limitations, or to have something very easy to take around different rooms in the house/flat, or to take round to jam with friends at their home etc.  So from that perspective I do 'get it' I suppose.  What I don't get are folk who don't fall into these categories but still buy these as their main amp when they have the space for a proper amp eg a Katana, a Code or Fender Mustang etc etc.  Their choice of course, but they're effectively paying more for less!  Just my perspective.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I shan't be buying one.
    Not at that price. I make do with my little Pignose amp if want to rock-out on my desktop.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    All these little amps need a line out to a bigger speaker cab .At least the Vox MV series have that as they dont have a speaker.You can usually run out via the phono socket to another power amp aux but a dedicated speaker extension would transform all these squeaky tranny boxes.
    Its pointless moaning about tiny  speaker sizes in these amps as they are practice amps and anyone who thinks a 50 watt tube amp with a 12 inch speaker or even a 5 watt  is a practice amp has a deaf family or hated neighbors.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    fandango said:
    There is a new ADIO series, which are 50 watts (probably a lie) through 2 3 inch speakers. 

Controlled by Bluetooth Midi via iOS and Android. Has 23 models but only 11 stored on it at one time. Seems to have some fancy Korg Virtual Surround Sound. 

There is also the AC2 Rhythm which I assume is just a bigger AC1 Rhythm. 

Finally is the AC30 Radio which is an AM/FM radio which looks like an AC30, not sure why they released that, but it might be useful for some old people who still listen to the radio. 
    <rant> Nowt wrong with listening to the radio. And I'm not old. What else are you going to play in the car on a long journey? Faffing around with cd's or plugging in ipods doesn't cut it for me. I listen to that stuff at home. I want something different in the car and the radio gives me that. </Rant over>

But yes, I agree with your sentiment about the point of an AM/FM radio that looks like the iconic AC30.

I would listen to the radio in the car but where I live, there are either tons of trees to tons of buildings, so I don't get a great radio signal. 

3g and Spotify works better. 
    Er, isn't 3G radio ;-)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I get why people would buy one, but I'm lucky to have the space, and lack of joined on neighbours, that I can have something bigger and louder. I'm still tempted to get a katana, as a one amp that does it all, from giggling (if I ever get out again) to wife's trying to sleep, quiet practice, to recording on the computer solution.. And cos it's GAS innit!?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I bought one.  I've had all three models of the THR10 and to me this combines the best sounds of all of those, plus adds Bluetooth and a very handy app. Plus it's louder, not that I'm after volume especially. I have a Bassbreaker 15 in the lounge for my main amp, this is a bookshelf amp that's wife friendly, although personally I think it looks awful.  But it sounds really good so I'm selling the THR. 

Handy for when I use my Trio+ pedal, too, I put the guitar through the Fender and the bass/drums through the little Vox, as it has full range speakers.  If I want more volume I use the Vox headphone out into my hifi amp and floorstanders. 

I like Ike that I can keep my lazy ass planted to the sofa and control everything from my iPhone or iPad. But mostly I like how it outdoes the THR, an amp concept I really like. 
  • I was just wondering when someone would get one. I like the THR10c, it is VERY directional in that it needs to be pointed at you and generally at head height to get the best response from it. Anywhere else and it's a bit underwhelming.

How much louder is the vox? Have you put any pedals through it?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    Collings said:
    Can they really get 50w out of if powered by aa batts?

I couldn't resist a back of the envelope calculation... Assuming alkaline AA batteries can supply 1 Ah at 4A (I'm being generous) and the amp is 50% efficient, you could get a couple of hours out of 8 AAs.
    I'll try to take another listen later to compare volumes, if I get time (THR is now boxed up ready to sell). Volume difference not massive but it's certainly noticeable.  Also, much as I like some of the THR tones, I didn't think the C model actually had that much in the way of good, proper cleans.
    The Deluxe model, for example, got hairy quite early on, whilst I never got a great sound out of the US Blues no matter how much I tweaked it. 
    There are definitely way better cleans in the Vox, and plenty of them (Deluxe, Dumble, AC30, Vox's 'blue' model - dunno what that is, sorry, but it's nice - and even one of the Bassman models, for example).

There are also way better gain tones in my opinion, than on any of the THR models.

its all subjective, of course, but the Vox offers gain from very small amounts through to massive dollops of it. Luckily for me, I prefer most of the Vox gain models to the THR models.  I owned a THR10X for a while but it was a bit too scooped and compressed sounding for me (I prefer blues, rock, punk etc to metal), t had a couple of decent models but I was always tweaking them....the plain old beige THR10 was ok, but I found it a bit characterless and thought the 800 on it was a bit bland.  I preferred the Lead/Plexi but sometimes wanted a little more gain from that without going to the 800 or the Mesa model, which I never liked much.
    The THR10C has that lovely Matchless model, plus a decent enough Bluesbreaker, but it has those more unexpected inclusions too - the Blues Junior and Dr Z Mini, neither of which I could get to sound good.

Anyway, the Vox has a fantastic Orange model (Brit verb) and about a dozen other 'gain' models, although these can all be tamed to a greater or lesser extent.  It just covers much more territory than the THR range, which always annoyed me for not having the option to pay for extra patches/models as add-on packs.  I ended up buying all three THRs at various times to try to find what I was looking for, then selling them on when I couldn't quite find it.  Great for Yamaha of course, but not so much for my wallet. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72324
    The THR10C has that lovely Matchless model, plus a decent enough Bluesbreaker, but it has those more unexpected inclusions too - the Blues Junior and Dr Z Mini, neither of which I could get to sound good.
    Sounds like the models are accurate then...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and the 50 watt thing is a bit overinflated. It's nothing like as loud as a 15w valve Bassbreaker, for example. Haven't tried it up against my 1watt Blackstar head with a 112 yet though, that might be a more interesting comparison. 
    From what I read, it's vastly reduced when using batteries, something like 2 x 2.5 watts.