Replacement Strat Bridge for a K-line Springfield Strat any recommendations?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
edited May 2017 in Guitar
I currently have this vintage Wilkinson bridge on my K-line springfield Strat which needs replacing. Theres a crack in the steel block. I would prefer to keep the string spacing at 54mm to stop the E string slipping off the edge of the fretboard. Are there any other bridges that you would recommend? Callaham seem far too expensive so I may just opt for another Wilkinson.   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Why replace the whole trem if just the block is damaged?
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Jack_ said:
    I've been looking at cold rolled steel trem blocks, the damaged wilkinson block has staggered string holes, looks like wilkinson/ gotoh/callaham don't do a similar replacement. Does this really matter? I may just purchase a new wilkinson as it's served me well and they are reasonably priced too £38 for the whole trem system.
    The Wilkinson trems are perfectly good enough, but I thought K-Line's were fairly high end guitars, so it might deserve something like a Callaham or Wudtone, just to get everything possible from it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've been in contact with Chris at K-Line a few times... very decent chap and always responds promptly! He swears by the vintage wilko bridge and uses them in his springfield guitars. I read somewhere that he had tried Callahams and there wasn't much in it really. I'm no expert on this and with my shit hearing wouldn't be able to tell difference in tone. Not 100% but looking at the trem I think the break in the steel block was caused by the mini grub screw that adjusts the tension on the nylon insert and pop in trem arm... the thread on the grub screw has been completely stripped possibly overtightening of screw with arm in place? and to much whammy action by me? Need to checkout wudtone... any experience with those?
    For me, most of the quality of the Wudtone trems is in the shim and the plate, so if you want to save some money, you can do as I have done on my Strat, buy the plate and shim, and then attach your own saddles and steel block. I did this because I wanted Fender stamped saddles, and I didn't want to pay the £40 + delivery on a steel block from Wud or Callaham, you can get them for about £15 on eBay.
    Jack_ said:
    For me, most of the quality of the Wudtone trems is in the shim and the plate, so if you want to save some money, you can do as I have done on my Strat, buy the plate and shim, and then attach your own saddles and steel block. I did this because I wanted Fender stamped saddles, and I didn't want to pay the £40 + delivery on a steel block from Wud or Callaham, you can get them for about £15 on eBay.
    Thanks for that I'll take a look at those options. This chap seems to have a good reputation on ebay for trem blocks... if you've got the chance would like to see a pic of your trem on your strat. Only slight issue is that my strat is a medium relic with aged parts so it might look slightly odd with a nice shiny trem in place.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited May 2017
    ^^^^  what @Jack_  says, if you buy the shim+screws+plate from Wudtone you can use the saddles and block/arm of your choice. The Wudtone block is fine, but there are others available for less - for example I have brass blocks on a couple of my Strats, purchased off eBay from Kev Hurley. If you order from Wudtone just be sure to get the measurements right - mounting spacing and string/saddle spacing. And make sure that the block and saddles you use are appropriate for the string/saddles spacing too. You can probably use your existing saddles as Wudtone make some bridge plates for 54mm spacing. Having said all that, if you do go after a Wudtone or Callaham you will spend more than the Wilkinson trem.
    Jack_ said:
    Thanks for that I'll take a look at those options. This chap seems to have a good reputation on ebay for trem blocks... if you've got the chance would like to see a pic of your trem on your strat. Only slight issue is that my strat is a medium relic with aged parts so it might look slightly odd with a nice shiny trem in place.
    Wudtone do aged parts, my trem plate is aged.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    Out of curiosity I just had a look for blocks on eBay and Vanson supply improved replacement blocks for your current Wilkinson trem (item: 122374226610), so that could be an option.

The chap you refer to in your post is Kev Hurley who I got my blocks from. Proper stainless steel arms as well. I have both steel and brass blocks from him, very good and half the price of Callaham.

When I purchased a Wudtone bridge plate for my Fender Roadworn there was no relic option (there is now) so I aged mine with diluted ferric chloride PCB etchant. The Wudtone bridge plates are nickel plated (not chrome) and nickel is relatively easy to relic with chemicals. It's very easy to do with ferric chloride and you can decide how far to take the process i.e. light relic to heavy relic.

You've got a few options now.

If I get time this evening I'll take a couple of pics of mine, and the block as well.
    Out of curiosity I just had a look for blocks on eBay and Vanson supply improved replacement blocks for your current Wilkinson trem (item: 122374226610), so that could be an option.

The chap you refer to in your post is Kev Hurley who I got my blocks from. Proper stainless steel arms as well. I have both steel and brass blocks from him, very good and half the price of Callaham.

When I purchased a Wudtone bridge plate for my Fender Roadworn there was no relic option (there is now) so I aged mine with diluted ferric chloride PCB etchant. The Wudtone bridge plates are nickel plated (not chrome) and nickel is relatively easy to relic with chemicals. It's very easy to do with ferric chloride and you can decide how far to take the process i.e. light relic to heavy relic.

You've got a few options now.

If I get time this evening I'll take a couple of pics of mine, and the block as well.
    Jack_ said:
    Jack_ said:
    Wudtone do aged parts, my trem plate is aged.
    Have a wisdom from me chaps! thanks for the tips both... really helpful stuff
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    Jack_ said:
    Some Wilkinson vibrato bridges have the string anchoring holes for the D and top E strings drilled about 5mm closer to the neck than the holes for the other four strings. Hence, the only compatible replacement for this Wilkinson sustain block is another Wilkinson sustain block.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Jack_ said:
    Some Wilkinson vibrato bridges have the string anchoring holes for the D and top E strings drilled about 5mm closer to the neck than the holes for the other four strings. Hence, the only compatible replacement for this Wilkinson sustain block is another Wilkinson sustain block.
    They've done well there then, tying you in.