The "solo to bring a tear to your eye" thread reminded me:

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
I hadn't listened to him for a while and sort of moved on from a lot of the music, but I guess I'd kind of forgotten just how bleeding good John Petrucci is.

I mean really:

I'd have been weeping with joy if I'd been in the room to see this - particularly the majestic hair swish and subsequent solo at 1:58:

5:15 is one of my favourite solos of his - and underrated:

That or the amazing Schon-esque melodic one at 16:59 into The Count of Tuscany:

Or the one in Another Day - ignore Labrie's voice and go to 3:00 - I want that purple sparkle Majesty as well:

I definitely prefer his earlier style of playing, such as you hear on "Images and Words" and "Awake" from the early to mid 90s, but he's still so, so bloody good. One of the best "shred" guitarists ever, no argument.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Bought tears to my eyes but not the way you mean.
     :) 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    As far as I'm concerned, DT finished after Awake. When LaCheese fucked his voice, the whole band seemed to step up a little too much to compensate.

I do like Pet's playing though, throughout. His old Ibanez was so cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    yeah i've been listening to dream theater a bit again recently after sort of forgetting about them, and have been really enjoying it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited May 2017
    Bidley said:
    As far as I'm concerned, DT finished after Awake. When LaCheese fucked his voice, the whole band seemed to step up a little too much to compensate.
    I'd have to agree with this. Some great moments on Falling Into Infinity and Scenes From A Memory but after then it kinda dribbles off for me. Awake is a really great album musically, lyrically and everyone sounds great on it, even the much maligned LaBrie. Reminds me a little of Operation: Mindcrime in places actually... Which reminds me of a lot of Maiden in places actually...
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Yeh, his speed, accuracy & total control is astonishing (see what I did there !). Saw him at Wembley 2 yrs back & his playing and tone was jaw dropping. Makes it look so damned easy. Comes across as a real nice fella too in the meet the captain Andertons interview. Those majesties did sound (& look) awesome live.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I love Petrucci. He's arguably my favourite player and I often find myself turning back to him for inspiration. I remember being a DT gig several years ago and was stood behind a kid who was on the front row, both of us positioned directly in line with where Petrucci stood. Before the gig started he said it was the first gig he'd ever been to and was really excited. Part of me was happy for him; part of me was a bit peeved. I was close enough so I let it go. Anyway, the performance was awesome, everyone enjoyed it, and before I knew it, the kid turned around and said with a smug smile, "I caught Petrucci's pick!" briefly holding it up for me to see. First gig, front row, catches pick. Genuinely, I could've punched him
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Sassafras said:
    Bought tears to my eyes but not the way you mean.
     :) 
    Quite.  I don't mind when the Brits do this kind of hair metal nonsense because they always seem to be able to inject a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour to proceedings in a Spinal Tap kind of way.  But are you really supposed to take this sort of stuff as seriously as they take themselves?  That singer is properly ludicrous.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom