Thinking of trying ECC803s in DRRI V1,2,4

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
I've realised most of the preamp is rather elderly fender branded valves which have been in there at least 6 years - and I got the amp second hand!

I've been happy with JJ ecc83s in previous amps (both sound and reliability wise) but am tempted by the ecc803s (maybe also lay in a couple of the bog '83 as spares...). Never tried the 803 however and have read they're less resistant to microphonics- though I never drive the amp hard.

Am also reading positive things about the Tung Sols sound wise but not so much for reliability. Might springing for hotrox premium graded ones help in this respect?

For the reverb driver and PI I'm actually tempted to go NOS...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    I've realised most of the preamp is rather elderly fender branded valves which have been in there at least 6 years - and I got the amp second hand!

I've been happy with JJ ecc83s in previous amps (both sound and reliability wise) but am tempted by the ecc803s (maybe also lay in a couple of the bog '83 as spares...). Never tried the 803 however and have read they're less resistant to microphonics- though I never drive the amp hard.

Am also reading positive things about the Tung Sols sound wise but not so much for reliability. Might springing for hotrox premium graded ones help in this respect?

For the reverb driver and PI I'm actually tempted to go NOS…
    Why would you put an expensive NOS valve in the reverb driver when it's not in the direct signal path and has no effect on the tone of the amp, or even the reverb to any significant extent? The PI might be worth it, JAN Philips 12AT7s are still quite cheap.

I don't like any JJ preamp valves I've tried, although I can't remember if I have with the 803s - all the ones I have sound an odd combination of muddy and harsh at the same time somehow.

I don't have personal good experience with Hotrox either. I like Tung-Sols 12AX7s - although they're not particularly reliable - but I'd get them from somewhere else, and I certainly wouldn't pay "premium grade" money for any of them.

I think that's everything :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I like the JJ-ECC803s. Not had major issues with microphonics, certainly no more than other ECC83s.

I like the EH-12AX7 in Fenders.

Not had great results with the new Tungsol 12AX7s.

Not sure what you would be getting by "premium" grade valves, as very little info is given about test procedures. The best test would of course be in the device they are going to be used in.....
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for de-hoking some valve hokum, chaps